Pat McAfee Salary Cap Break Down

Warcodered

It is pretty simple. Kick it into the future. The reason teams never really get into trouble is the cap keeps going up. Also even if you get in trouble with a player’s dead cap, you can take another players cap and push it down the road to create more space. It’s a never ending cycle as long as the owner is ok spending cash over cap. Basically their own money out of the bank.

Remember Ralph/Russ Brandon’s cash to cap? Basically that was spending real cash up to exactly what the cap is, nothing more.

Love Ralph for giving us the Bills but thank goodness for the Pegulas.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It is pretty simple. Kick it into the future. The reason teams never really get into trouble is the cap keeps going up. Also even if you get in trouble with a player’s dead cap, you can take another players cap and push it down the road to create more space. It’s a never ending cycle as long as the owner is ok spending cash over cap. Basically their own money out of the bank.

Remember Ralph/Russ Brandon’s cash to cap? Basically that was spending real cash up to exactly what the cap is, nothing more.

I thought Cash to cap was not using your space from the previous year.  Not necessarily against moving money into future years. 

Say cap is 200M and your cap hit was 175M.  You ended the season with 25M in cap.  The next year the cap is 210M and your cap is 235M.  Buffalo would operate as though their cap was 210M.  

Essentially they were so cheap that the moving money into future years never really came up

7 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I thought Cash to cap was not using your space from the previous year.  Not necessarily against moving money into future years. 

Say cap is 200M and your cap hit was 175M.  You ended the season with 25M in cap.  The next year the cap is 210M and your cap is 235M.  Buffalo would operate as though their cap was 210M.  

Essentially they were so cheap that the moving money into future years never really came up

I don't think you could use unused cap until a few years ago. My understanding was that if the cap was $200M, they would only spend $200M cash, whereas other team's could spend $400M in cash but work the cap so technically paying less than the $200M cap

11 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That PLUS  having an owner with deep pockets that is willing to pay all that money up front that allows it to be kicked into the future.  Without the deep pockets and available cash flow, it's not possible to make this work.

2 hours ago, dneveu said:

I’m pretty sure it was simply counting all bonus money this year and not spreading it out. The Bills would be nearly $80 million over Ralph’s cash to cap this season. 

Im not sure if teams were able to carry over cap back then. I don’t remember when that started. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

It really will never be clear until the owner's books are open like a player's salary is.  It could be the Ram's owner doesn't care about money and wants only to win.  It could be that even with these wild salaries given out (Donald, Stafford, Kupp, etc) he is still in the black. It could be he is in the red football-team-wise and just doesn't care.   It could be that the "small market" billionaire owner is taking profits and claiming CAP poverty.

Any way you slice it, the cap is accounting as he says.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.