Fantastic DaQuan Jones interview

Rigotz

19 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I mean.........that's part of the charm of central and WNY.    Sometimes it's just not necessary to replace everything old with something new.   I own a home in SW FL where almost every building within a 50 mile radius was built in the past 30 years.    Everything is new.   It's not run down but it also has very little character or history.    That's often the trade-off.    @blacklabel is dogging Binghamton..........has he ever seen the neighborhoods around the Bills stadium?  Ain't no new McMansions on that side of town.  Danny's?   The Big Tree?   These are like historical sites to Bills fans and they all look like something from a half century or more ago.   

Yeah that is definitely part of the charm.  I love how small everything seems.  

More of what I was alluding to was the style and how long it took from trends and music tho hit western NY in the 80’s and 90’s.  I went to HS in New Paltz NY.  Upstate, but only a 2 hour drive to ya kee stadium.  We’d drive down once a week or two to catch games and pick up all the DJ mixed tapes from street vendors.  When we’d take family trips to the Buffalo area I’d always be shocked at the music my cousins were listening too and branding it as “new”, when I had been listening to it for a year or so.   Same went for fashion trends.  News travelled slowly.

Social media and the internet has likely changed that aspect.  I can’t really compare and contrast to how things are in 2022.  Everything travels fast and I couldn’t care less about those kinds of things anymore.  I’m sure kids in that area are much hipper and “caught up” in todays world.

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Yeah that is definitely part of the charm.  I love how small everything seems.  

More of what I was alluding to was the style and how long it took from trends and music tho hit western NY in the 80’s and 90’s.  I went to HS in New Paltz NY.  Upstate, but only a 2 hour drive to ya kee stadium.  We’d drive down once a week or two to catch games and pick up all the DJ mixed tapes from street vendors.  When we’d take family trips to the Buffalo area I’d always be shocked at the music my cousins were listening too and branding it as “new”, when I had been listening to it for a year or so.   Same went for fashion trends.  News travelled slowly.

Social media and the internet has likely changed that aspect.  I can’t really compare and contrast to how things are in 2022.  Everything travels fast and I couldn’t care less about those kinds of things anymore.  I’m sure kids in that area are much hipper and “caught up” in todays world.

Yeah, I certainly get that.   I am from WNY but traveled a lot as a kid and while I was often amazed by stuff I saw in NYC or southern CA..........pretty much everywhere else was pretty lame compared to WNY back then.   Southern cities like Charlotte and Atlanta that so many Bills fans make home now were far behind the style and interests of a northeastern kid in the 80's.   Even Toronto perplexed me with it's gawky awkwardness in the early to mid-80's.    That's all changed.   Those metro areas have experienced massive growth and are seen as culturally superior to WNY because of it now...........but as you said,  for the most part, any idea or style that's new is new everywhere now.   The look of WNY is as much an aesthetic now as anything.   Nobody wants to see Danny's or Big Tree torn down and relocated into pieces of modern art with perfectly curbed new parking lots.   It doesn't mean the people are classless bums.   A lot of the little towns intentionally resist frivolous architectural change.  Some of the people sitting on those boards don't want their towns and cities ending up looking like where their vacation homes are. :lol:   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

yuxk, only thing worse is Endicott!  (I kid, used to live in Vestal till mid 90’s, I think there was some sort of rivalry). Cool that he is a Southern Tier guy, not many in NFL or even D1.   

I actually live just outside of Vestal - there’s still a rivalry. The high schools for Endicott (Union-Endicott) and Vestal are basically separated by a bridge.

The entire Southern Tier / Triple Cities area is interesting in that there are just some spots that feel lost to time. Binghamton has made efforts to revitalize to varying success- we just had 2 of the nicer bars close down because the owners are being charged with sexual assault and drugging patrons (real classy). Binghamton is basically a college town but it really lacks an identity - compared to a place like Ithaca one hour west of here which has a very nice commons area and is generally more pleasant thanks to the nearby finger lake, gorges, and overall effort to modernize and rejuvenate formerly dilapidated buildings. Binghamton, while it does have a few bright spots, is a mess.

Johnson city feels like it’s preserved in a perpetual time capsule. I swear I grew up in a little town by comparison to them and we had a pool facility and entire middle school and elementary school replaced (mostly due to flooding for the elementary school) and they’re still in the same buildings over there built in the early 70s. They have a dying mall, and dilapidated storefronts all over the main strip heading toward Binghamton. The previously mentioned Ny-Penn trade center is the old high school and I’ve been in the basement… the toilets are no joke frightening. Yeah the building is over 100 years old but certain parts are maintained, and others are just… yuck. Avoid the basement. Avoid the whole building honestly. In fact, only go to JC if you want to look at a dying mall or you yourself are dying because they have 2 of the biggest hospitals in the city or just beyond the town line.

Good old Endicott, where you would be mistaken to think you’d be safer in than Binghamton, is just sorry. Home of IBM, who literally poisoned the city from illegal dumping of chemicals, left a crumbling building complex and toxic plume in their wake. The former glory of Endicott was Washington Ave, where in the 70s was lush with beautiful storefronts and embodies the American dream. Now it’s half empty, buildings in disrepair, and until a year ago had a motel on the corner I’d rather sleep on the streets before going into. They mercifully tore that down and there are rumblings of a revitalization attempt. Given the whole toxic plume thing, it’s lipstick on a pig. The Jones boys all went to high school here for a short while.

Edited by KingBoots8
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He says it was his heart that made the decision.   His haircut says he wanted to retire a Raider but I guess we will have to take his word for it.

Get this man some jheri curl! I'm sure his heart will learn all it needs to in Jacksonville, FLA

I live out in the Binghamton area. It is a shithole. The scary thing is DaQuan Jones opened a nightclub in downtown. Trust me, in this area, those places always end up with gun play inside and outside of the clubs here. Always.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

@Rigotz this is random but fun. When I saw your chat handle it reminded me of a Bills fan I met here in socal with the Billsbackers. He wears a blue home jersey on the back is "STUGOTZ' lol now that's Buffalo 🙂

Go Bills~~!

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/8/2022 at 1:06 PM, blacklabel said:

A buddy of mine married a girl from Johnson City. That whole area of NY out near Albany feels like it stopped in 1978 or something. Everything felt so outdated when I went out there for their engagement party. 

lol....I wouldn't consider Johnson City "out near Albany."   

23 hours ago, CA OC Bills Fan said:

Johnson City is just West of Binghamton, much closer to Scranton PA than to Albany. Binghamton/Johnson City/Endicott are called the Triple Cities.

They are all ***** holes.  They were built as industrial cities and all the industry died.  Were it not for Binghamton University, the whole area would be dead.

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

This will be the under the radar signing that is a difference maker on the defense 

Von is the “over the radar” 

You are forgetting the largest area.........squarely within the radar.

That's where Jones falls.

$7M per for a DT1T who will play just 45% of the snaps is legit good bucks.

Under the radar would be like when they signed nobodies like Tyrod, Lorenzo Alexander and Zach Brown for peanuts and got big production.

Daryl Williams is about the only success who may qualify as one from Beane.......but that was really a "prove it" deal success.    He'd been an All Pro a few years earlier and was still young.

All the under the radar free agents Beane signs have figuratively crashed and burned so far.

16 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

All the under the radar free agents Beane signs have figuratively crashed and burned so far.

I think Tim Settle buries that streak in its tracks.

8 minutes ago, Simon said:

I think Tim Settle buries that streak in its tracks.

Not sure a guy who is assumed to be the other half of a starting rotation can be under the radar..............but if he turns into a star that would be value far in excess of his low end starter money.........which has still been almost entirely elusive for Beane in free agency.

Every multi-year deal that has panned out at all for Beane........basically only Morse, Beasley, John Brown and Addison.......has been handsomely paid for.

It's pretty weird how the free agency value faucet slowed to a drip completely after the Hyde and Poyer signings.   Even that limbo period between lame duck Whaley and hired Beane was more efficient than Beane.  

Whaley is much maligned........but people forget that he was the Bills pro personnel director before he got elevated to GM.   Nobody is perfect but evaluating pro personnel was a strength of his.  

This much heralded front office has done a lot of things right but free agency has been a struggle for them.

I believe Beane will get better at it with experience.........I do believe in their growth mindset........maybe this is the class that begins to change their fortunes in UFA.       

On 6/8/2022 at 11:53 AM, The Firebaugh Kid said:

I rented a rehearsal space for a band in Johnson City a few years ago at something called NY Penn Trade Center. One of the guys in the band was Breaking Benjamins former drummer. He lives in northern PA so we met halfway in Johnson City. It is an absolute scumhole, it's exactly as you described, it's like the land that time forgot. The toilet in the building looked like it hadn't been flushed in 30 years. I have pictures, but I'm sure you don't want to see them LOL. 

pictures or it never happened

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Whaley is much maligned........but people forget that he was the Bills pro personnel director before he got elevated to GM.   Nobody is perfect but evaluating pro personnel was a strength of his.  

I will never claim that Whaley was bad at player evaluation. His HUGE weakness was the draft imo. He had no problem giving away the store in order to draft players that didn't pan out for various reasons. It was as if he had no self control.

He was however a great dresser.

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.