McDermott says he often sleeps in the office Monday-Wednesday watching film...surprised but not surprised at the same time

Big Turk

15 hours ago, Bangarang said:

It still amazes me that coaches will spent countless hours studying and preparing for their opponents but still make some of the dumbest decisions during the game. 

Not a criticism of McD, just football coaches in general.

Paralysis by analysis

12 hours ago, krf139 said:

Someone from the soft Buffalo media should get a straight answer about what he sees from the 13 seconds, what he should have done differently and what’s being done to correct it. 

I like Sean, but he never really answered this and the media let him off the hook 

I watched the Tampa Bay game the other day.  There was 22 seconds left when we tied it at 27-27.  The Bucs had one time out left and Brady was warming up on the sideline.  The broadcast shows McDermott running into the special teams huddle with Heath Farwell to I guess make sure his wishes are clear.  Bass squib kicks it and the Bucs get the ball at their own 16 with 16 seconds left (took six seconds off the clock).  The Bucs decide it's not worth it to take a shot down the field to get into field goal range and kneel the ball to play for overtime.

Based off that, my best guess is the squib kick was called in KC and McDermott for whatever reason overruled the call.  Maybe he changed his mind at the last second and not everyone got the message but Bass did.  Or, vice versa.  A long kick for a touchback was called and McDermott changed his mind and called a squib kick.  Bass never got the instructions.  It would be fricken nice if we knew what happened though.

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  I’ve enjoyed all of my jobs.  Not many days where I’ve hated getting up and going to work.  It’s never been so much about hating work.  More so preferring to spend my short time on earth doing the things that I love to do as opposed to what I had to do in order to support the things that I love.  

it’s likely that guys like Mcvay and McD are doing both.  Lucky guys 💯.   At some point I think Mcvay will put his family first and move to a network, but I think he has at least another 5+ years. 

Yea same. I have been lucky enough never to have a job I hated. I have days, obviously, we all do but in general my job is interesting and rewarding. That said, I enjoy not working more than working. My entire life strategy is to be retired at 55. Which given I started full time work at 21 and I am now 38 means I am halfway there!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Process said:

McVay is insane for not taking the Amazon deal. 

2x the money for 1% of the work

I looked at the TNF schedule and chuckled to myself that Al Michaels is going to call the Jaguars at the Jets on December 22nd.  From the Miracle on Ice that was played on tape delay on ABC to two bottom feeder teams in the cold Meadowlands on a streaming service with Kirb Herbstreit when both teams are around 4-11.  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I watched the Tampa Bay game the other day.  There was 22 seconds left when we tied it at 27-27.  The Bucs had one time out left and Brady was warming up on the sideline.  The broadcast shows McDermott running into the special teams huddle with Heath Farwell to I guess make sure his wishes are clear.  Bass squib kicks it and the Bucs get the ball at their own 16 with 16 seconds left (took six seconds off the clock).  The Bucs decide it's not worth it to take a shot down the field to get into field goal range and kneel the ball to play for overtime.

Based off that, my best guess is the squib kick was called in KC and McDermott for whatever reason overruled the call.  Maybe he changed his mind at the last second and not everyone got the message but Bass did.  Or, vice versa.  A long kick for a touchback was called and McDermott changed his mind and called a squib kick.  Bass never got the instructions.  It would be fricken nice if we knew what happened though.

Based on the player reactions coming off the field after the KC kickoff where they looked puzzled and did the whole "What happened?" gesture after he kicked it out of the end zone, it was speculated the only player who didn't know it was supposed to be a squib kick was Bass

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea same. I have been lucky enough never to have a job I hated. I have days, obviously, we all do but in general my job is interesting and rewarding. That said, I enjoy not working more than working. My entire life strategy is to be retired at 55. Which given I started full time work at 21 and I am now 38 means I am halfway there!!

And halfway there is almost a blink of an eye when you take account of how time flies the older you get.  38 to where I am now, 47, was over just like that.  

Grats on finding something you enjoy doing for a lifetime and I hope you realize your goal of retiring @ 55.  My wife and I are hoping to do the same but i’ll likely always have side side gig to make retirement more comfortable and to keep up socially.  T-Mobile arena and Allegiant stadium provide nice jobs where you can pick and choose your schedule (and take months off of you’d like) while making 200-1000 for a few hours of work. 

13 hours ago, Steptide said:

Gailey was only here 3 years and I remember seeing pics when he was hired and then after 3 seasons. He looked like he aged 15 years. 

Jauron was only here for three seasons. I think I aged fifteen years during his tenure.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I only had one job I hated.  I was supposed to be on the road selling and I would just go back home to my apartment and sleep or play video games.

I was fired about 6 months later and I was relieved.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

The nfl and owners in general should be paying mid and low level coaches more and paying to have more on staff developing. 

The expectation on coaching hours is unreasonable 

The number of staff wouldn't make any difference.   As long as the head coarch believe spending the extra time (whether a correct assumption or not) will give them an advantage they will do so.

There were some indicators last season that there may have been unrest on the domestic side. When a guy is suddenly not wearing the wedding band for several weeks and there seems to be a change in overall demeanor, there might be some issues.  

I think it's a challenge for any spouse that has an absentee husband or wife with career that demands significant hours of their time. Professional coaching jobs are not for 9 to 5'ers. 

34 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I only had one job I hated.  I was supposed to be on the road selling and I would just go back home to my apartment and sleep or play video games.

I was fired about 6 months later and I was relieved.

Sounds like have quite the work ethic 🤣

20 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Sounds like have quite the work ethic 🤣

It was pointless.  The office shutdown because it wasn't making money about 15 months later.  Our business plan was terrible.  Our VP tried to cut labor costs down by not hiring a full staff and having only a few people run the entire office.

4 hours ago, Billy Claude said:

The number of staff wouldn't make any difference.   As long as the head coarch believe spending the extra time (whether a correct assumption or not) will give them an advantage they will do so.

bigger staffs create deeper talent pools and more guys getting developed. More experts in the pipeline, and less tasks for a HC to need to be the expert. 

More coordinator level talent, etc… 

the pipeline into football coaching is a tough life. Better staff rooms and it’s less grueling at all ranks. Setting the expectation from day 1 that you are worked like a dog for no pay creates a culture where these guys have to be there 24/7

32 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

bigger staffs create deeper talent pools and more guys getting developed. More experts in the pipeline, and less tasks for a HC to need to be the expert. 

the pipeline into football coaching is a tough life. Better staff rooms and it’s less grueling at all ranks. Setting the expectation from day 1 that you are worked like a dog for no pay creates a culture where these guys have to be there 24/7

Bigger staffs are also harder to manage and accountability can become a real issue.

See the Buffalo Bills under Rex Ryan.   Probably the most coaches an NFL team has ever had on one staff.

2 hours ago, NoSaint said:

I don't think its the people at the bottom who are sleeping in the offices.  

The Bills have 26 people on their coaching staff this year (21 if you don't coach the strength and conditioning coaches).  That's most likely double what it was 30 years ago and I bet the number of head coaches sleeping in the office has changed much.

Edited by Billy Claude

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.