McDermott says he often sleeps in the office Monday-Wednesday watching film...surprised but not surprised at the same time

Big Turk

2 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I actually think it’s completely unnecessary to be honest. This is also coming from a guy who worked in a D1 program in a similar culture. 

I get that you want every detail installed but these guys get in at 6 AM and most don’t leave until 10 PM. That’s ridiculous in my opinion. If you have a great team, your going to have a great team. Their going to win. If you lack talent it doesn’t matter how many hours you review tape, your still going to lose more often than not. 

Arians, who won a SB, is the complete opposite. Go home see your kids games etc. Prep is important no doubt but having meetings after meetings people are running at a very low concentration level. We all know it we do it in our fields everyday 

I get you.  If the HC is doing his job right, he'll have good coordinators, position coaches, quality control coaches, and analytic guys to share the burden.   A HC shouldn't have to sleep in the building.  The entire staff should be robust and talented enough that they can win without any of them working 100 hours a week.

On the other hand, I can imagine getting so passionate/obsessed that I'd work long hours and sleep in the office, too, if I was a HC.  

• Like (+1) 1

I have to admit when we signed McDermott I thought it was a bad hire and thought he came off a little arrogant in his introductory press conference… Boy was I ever wrong! This guy is a humble, workaholic with a strong football mind and incredible people skills. Incredible hire! 

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, wppete said:

I have to admit when we signed McDermott I thought it was a bad hire and thought he came off a little arrogant in his introductory press conference… Boy was I ever wrong! This guy is a humble, workaholic with a strong football mind and incredible people skills. Incredible hire! 

I've been most impressed with his willingness to self-evaluate, and evolve. A lot of head guys (I'm looking at you Rex) are far too stubborn and/or egotistical to change. It seems like McDermott really looks at himself critically and makes adjustments to his game.

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, somnus00 said:

I've been most impressed with his willingness to self-evaluate, and evolve. A lot of head guys (I'm looking at you Rex) are far too stubborn and/or egotistical to change. It seems like McDermott really looks at himself critically and makes adjustments to his game.

It really is a great quality to have as a coach. 

• Like (+1) 1

My wife often sleeps in the office.

She calls me up and tells me she has a lot of work to do so she won't be home. Sometimes she sounds positively drunk with tiredness and I can always hear her boss, Greg, in the background, telling her to get off the phone. 

She seems to really love her job

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RobbRiddick said:

My wife often sleeps in the office.

She calls me up and tells me she has a lot of work to do so she won't be home. Sometimes she sounds positively drunk with tiredness and I can always hear her boss, Greg, in the background, telling her to get off the phone. 

She seems to really love her job

🏆 

• Agree 1

That’s pretty common with NFL Coaches, however there has been questions as to how much those long hours pay off in the long run. Not only is the human body/mind only capable of so much but at what point are you over preparing? 

Given the NFL’s culture I don’t see this changing anytime soon. 

19 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If you're married to an NFL head coach, you have to have a very supportive wife.

I've been trying to wrap my head around this, and it seems like it means that NFL head coaches are women?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Someone from the soft Buffalo media should get a straight answer about what he sees from the 13 seconds, what he should have done differently and what’s being done to correct it. 

I like Sean, but he never really answered this and the media let him off the hook 

• Disagree 1

He's probably doing stuff that he could delegate to someone else, but he wants it done his own way. And it may actually help him get more sleep and exercise to do so at the office, rather than drive home and back the next morning. They also have the nice gym at the facility.

I don't think this puts such a toll on the coach the way some people here are saying it does.

• Agree 1

There is very good human performance data that working more than 50 hours a week significantly negatively impacts performance.   That he spends that amount of time in the office is not going to improve performance.  As others have said, all that time in the office did not prevent a miscommunication with the kickoff in KC.  It did not help him decide to defend against a FG instead of a TD.  His challenge rate is poor though better last year.  Two point conversion offense and defense has been very poor during McD tenure.  

• Dislike 1

4 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

That's a great point.  

If you are not going to have a relentless analytics department---and then listen to it with your decision making during the game---why bother sleeping in the office?

The culture of the NFL is a very tight little inbred community and they all think the same way and do the same things.

It's a shame, because right NOW there is a genuine opportunity for a single team to gain a truly competitive advantage by going in all-analytics.

10 or 15 years from now, ALL teams will be doing that, and the competitive advantage will be lost.

You mean like the Los Angeles Chargers? 

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LeviF said:

It's a drug for some of these guys.

It sounds better to say it can be intoxicating.

It's something a lot of people do when they are enjoying what they do professionally.

I used to put in lot's of 18 hour days and sometimes would work every day for months on end when I was younger.

Helped me become successful and make a lot of money and demoralize and eliminate competitors, get sweet revenge......lot's of really fun stuff......working long hours can be fun.

Sean McDermott isn't punching a clock filling out TPS reports........he's at the top of the mountain he had been climbing for a couple decades........he's enjoying it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.