McDermott says he often sleeps in the office Monday-Wednesday watching film...surprised but not surprised at the same time

Big Turk

23 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

There is very good human performance data that working more than 50 hours a week significantly negatively impacts performance.   That he spends that amount of time in the office is not going to improve performance.  As others have said, all that time in the office did not prevent a miscommunication with the kickoff in KC.  It did not help him decide to defend against a FG instead of a TD.  His challenge rate is poor though better last year.  Two point conversion offense and defense has been very poor during McD tenure.  

Every study I've seen compares a number of people and a number of professions. I haven't seen even a single study on McDermott himself. We are INDIVIDUALS. Evey individual reacts in its own way.  Studies like this don't mean much to a specific individual in a specific situation. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bigger staffs are also harder to manage and accountability can become a real issue.

See the Buffalo Bills under Rex Ryan.   Probably the most coaches an NFL team has ever had on one staff.

Though let’s not pretend he was the model of accountability regardless of the number 

38 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Though let’s not pretend he was the model of accountability regardless of the number 

I knew immediately what Rex was up to when he over-staffed.   He had one foot in retirement after he got out of the wringer in NY.   The Bills just offered too much money for him to walk away from so he just hired a bunch of people to do all the work and planned to show up on game days.    Beware of coaches who over-delegate and hire too many assistants.   Not a profession where more is better.   

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I knew immediately what Rex was up to when he over-staffed.   He had one foot in retirement after he got out of the wringer in NY.   The Bills just offered too much money for him to walk away from so he just hired a bunch of people to do all the work and planned to show up on game days.    Beware of coaches who over-delegate and hire too many assistants.   Not a profession where more is better.   

As is, and in our current world, I may agree that it’s a red flag though again I think Rex was a special kind of case. 

but if we set aside the current model and had a pool deep enough with enough experience to have practically co-coordinator with an offensive coordinator that manages the unit/staff and offensive play caller that focuses on the playbook and film, and the quality control coaches had a few more established experienced guys mixed in… well, maybe that offensive minded head coach is working 12 hour days instead of 20 hours?

Or kick them out after so many hours during the mid week? 

I know we glamorize the commitment but it’s pretty ridiculous and has real world consequences for these guys and their families. 

On 6/8/2022 at 11:40 AM, Bangarang said:

It still amazes me that coaches will spent countless hours studying and preparing for their opponents but still make some of the dumbest decisions during the game. 

Not a criticism of McD, just football coaches in general.

Live fire is different than study and practice.  Time is limited, there is stress, noise, and no hindsight benefits.  

To be successful, Real time decisions require everyone in the chain to execute them properly.   If they don’t, the decision could look wrong, even it is right.  

Conversely, a lesser decision could work out with a positive result if the players make spectacular plays, or the opponent fails on their end.  

Coaches get too much blame and too much credit because the buck rightfully stops with them.  

Example:   Belichick and his OC make way less good decisions without Tom Brady on the team. 

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

As is, and in our current world, I may agree that it’s a red flag though again I think Rex was a special kind of case. 

but if we set aside the current model and had a pool deep enough with enough experience to have practically co-coordinator with an offensive coordinator that manages the unit/staff and offensive play caller that focuses on the playbook and film, and the quality control coaches had a few more established experienced guys mixed in… well, maybe that offensive minded head coach is working 12 hour days instead of 20 hours?

Or kick them out after so many hours during the mid week? 

I know we glamorize the commitment but it’s pretty ridiculous and has real world consequences for these guys and their families. 

I think we get caught up in the idea that it's "work" and that by not doing that much of it they will be happier.

My friend's little brother works for a power 5 college football program with a national championship winning HC and recently he went to visit his bro with a couple of guys from here and they ended up shooting the sh*t talking football with that HC and that coach ended up going home after midnight.     

Another grueling night of "watching film" for that ball coach. :lol:

Watching film is often just a euphemism for living for the sport of football. 

On 6/8/2022 at 8:33 PM, Steptide said:

Gailey was only here 3 years and I remember seeing pics when he was hired and then after 3 seasons. He looked like he aged 15 years. 

Wasn't the coaching duties that aged him.  T'was the local brew:

image.thumb.jpeg.0441bceab2ddb74a012bd68c9f774483.jpeg

As for McDermott sleeping in the office, have you investigated mitigating factors?

image.thumb.jpeg.1de19706e3ef5d773ee304f59f78069d.jpeg

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

On 6/8/2022 at 9:09 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah that money is there for the foreseeable future........if he doesn't get cancelled for saying or doing something offensive like Gruden.

But in effect McVay has probably hardly worked a day in his adult life.    He's always done professionally a job that he probably would have done for free if he didn't need food and shelter.   Now he's wealthy.    Most people grind thru work life day-to-day and crave the freedom of getting away from having to work.    Guys like McVay and McDermott haven't live  d that life. 

This is what I call not only a true Calling...but a true BLESSING as well. And a collaborative effort in practice and philosophy within their field to get there. It was meant to be.  Destiny fufilling. They I  trust are living their best life at this very moment. The proof is in the pudding!

m

6 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Wasn't the coaching duties that aged him.  T'was the local brew:

image.thumb.jpeg.0441bceab2ddb74a012bd68c9f774483.jpeg

As for McDermott sleeping in the office, have you investigated mitigating factors?

image.thumb.jpeg.1de19706e3ef5d773ee304f59f78069d.jpeg

aka green death oh My......lol

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, The Dean said:

Every study I've seen compares a number of people and a number of professions. I haven't seen even a single study on McDermott himself. We are INDIVIDUALS. Evey individual reacts in its own way.  Studies like this don't mean much to a specific individual in a specific situation. 

I would recommend not arguing with him, he starts with a point and then fits all info around said point. All studies that show the 50 hour work week stuff are true because 95% of people don't have a passion for their job like all NFL coaches do. If you are committed to your job you can do the Elon Musk 100 hour work week and be effective. I will also point out that I used to have a 60 hour work week and did well at it for 6 years and got paid well, but I was not the father I wanted to be. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I would recommend not arguing with him, he starts with a point and then fits all info around said point. All studies that show the 50 hour work week stuff are true because 95% of people don't have a passion for their job like all NFL coaches do. If you are committed to your job you can do the Elon Musk 100 hour work week and be effective. I will also point out that I used to have a 60 hour work week and did well at it for 6 years and got paid well, but I was not the father I wanted to be. 

This is a great point as well. When you are doing something you are truly passionate about it becomes part of who you are, and you are (in a sense) never "at work" or "off work" but always on to one degree or another because it's just part of your life and being, which skews hours per week stats.

Part of that is that it is hard work but doesn't feel like work, if that makes any sense. If we're awake we're doing something. These guys are just focused on that one thing, whereas someone else might work 8 hours, go home, mow the lawn, go to the store, watch TV. These guys just work on football. Either way, your mind is engaged in something, whether productive or not. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

This is a great point as well. When you are doing something you are truly passionate about it becomes part of who you are, and you are (in a sense) never "at work" or "off work" but always on to one degree or another because it's just part of your life and being, which skews hours per week stats.

Part of that is that it is hard work but doesn't feel like work, if that makes any sense. If we're awake we're doing something. These guys are just focused on that one thing, whereas someone else might work 8 hours, go home, mow the lawn, go to the store, watch TV. These guys just work on football. Either way, your mind is engaged in something, whether productive or not. 

You also mentioned previously that at some point there must be a diminishing return, which is certainly true, the first hour is more effective than hour 60, but as long as that last hour moves us closer to never having 13 seconds again I will be happy with it

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/8/2022 at 8:05 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

It sounds better to say it can be intoxicating.

It's something a lot of people do when they are enjoying what they do professionally.

I used to put in lot's of 18 hour days and sometimes would work every day for months on end when I was younger.

Helped me become successful and make a lot of money and demoralize and eliminate competitors, get sweet revenge......lot's of really fun stuff......working long hours can be fun.

Sean McDermott isn't punching a clock filling out TPS reports........he's at the top of the mountain he had been climbing for a couple decades........he's enjoying it.

How would we classify an NFL HC who reports directly to ownership (so on-par or slightly above Beane in the organizational flow chart)? Is McDermott the functional CEO? Probably here in Buffalo he is. And Beane is the CFO/COO. I'd think in other, more vertical orgs, the President/Vice President/top Exec is the CEO while the GM is the CFO and the HC is the COO. It's not a 1:1 analogy between disparate companies, but it's interesting to compare NFL organizational flow charts.   

As a long-term approach to work/life balance, "sleeping in the office" is a very American, unhealthy behavior. But as a 5-20 year approach to being a TOP exec trying to grow and maintain a successful corporate culture, it makes sense. Sean McDermott has this amazing shot at RUNNING AN NFL ORGANIZATION. He had some initial success piloting a previous regime's company, and has now had even more success after completely overhauling the org according to his own vision. THIS is his best shot at realizing his ambitions. Many of us encounter windows of opportunity deserving of short-term work/life sacrifices. Almost NONE of us reach the absolute pinnacle of our fields (which I'm arguing deserve increased sacrifice in order to best maximize the opportunity). 

Oh, and he's making millions annually doing what he is obsessed with. It's just such a unique circumstance.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

How would we classify an NFL HC who reports directly to ownership (so on-par or slightly above Beane in the organizational flow chart)? Is McDermott the functional CEO? Probably here in Buffalo he is. And Beane is the CFO/COO. I'd think in other, more vertical orgs, the President/Vice President/top Exec is the CEO while the GM is the CFO and the HC is the COO. It's not a 1:1 analogy between disparate companies, but it's interesting to compare NFL organizational flow charts.   

As a long-term approach to work/life balance, "sleeping in the office" is a very American, unhealthy behavior. But as a 5-20 year approach to being a TOP exec trying to grow and maintain a successful corporate culture, it makes sense. Sean McDermott has this amazing shot at RUNNING AN NFL ORGANIZATION. He had some initial success piloting a previous regime's company, and has now had even more success after completely overhauling the org according to his own vision. THIS is his best shot at realizing his ambitions. Many of us encounter windows of opportunity deserving of short-term work/life sacrifices. Almost NONE of us reach the absolute pinnacle of our fields (which I'm arguing deserve increased sacrifice in order to best maximize the opportunity). 

Oh, and he's making millions annually doing what he is obsessed with. It's just such a unique circumstance.

he needs to reallocate some of those work hours and attend game management seminars to learn how to coach in high pressure late game situations. Failures that he has consistently failed at. 13 secs being the call for help. That is his only weakness that is apparent right now.

On 6/10/2022 at 12:00 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

You also mentioned previously that at some point there must be a diminishing return, which is certainly true, the first hour is more effective than hour 60, but as long as that last hour moves us closer to never having 13 seconds again I will be happy with it

For sure... I edited my post a bit and took that part out to focus on a different point but even if you love what you're doing you're nowhere near as sharp after 10 hours as during the first few. 

I've always wondered how much this type of schedule is really beneficial for a football coach. 

That said, these guys earn generational money by grinding like crazy people for a handful of years at something they are obsessed with. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

Great Father’s Day article about this from TBN

Coach, dad, husband, brother. How Bills' Sean McDermott tries to find work-life balance

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/coach-dad-husband-brother-how-bills-sean-mcdermott-tries-to-find-work-life-balance/article_0e247070-ef0f-11ec-af50-e72b7e1ce308.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.