McDermott says he often sleeps in the office Monday-Wednesday watching film...surprised but not surprised at the same time

Big Turk

1 hour ago, Trekking said:

It’s just evidence he’s bad at delegation. Explains things like 13 seconds. That’ll never go away 

Just like "Ralph is Cheap!" (except he gave Jimbo highest contract at time he was signed) and other things which have boomed in twit-ter era.

8 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I actually think it’s completely unnecessary to be honest. This is also coming from a guy who worked in a D1 program in a similar culture. 

I get that you want every detail installed but these guys get in at 6 AM and most don’t leave until 10 PM. That’s ridiculous in my opinion. If you have a great team, your going to have a great team. Their going to win. If you lack talent it doesn’t matter how many hours you review tape, your still going to lose more often than not. 

Arians, who won a SB, is the complete opposite. Go home see your kids games etc. Prep is important no doubt but having meetings after meetings people are running at a very low concentration level. We all know it we do it in our fields everyday 

agreed. At a minimum, delegate

more. He is the head coach; he shouldn’t be the one in the film room until 3 AM every night. 

8 hours ago, gonzo1105 said:

I actually think it’s completely unnecessary to be honest. This is also coming from a guy who worked in a D1 program in a similar culture. 

I get that you want every detail installed but these guys get in at 6 AM and most don’t leave until 10 PM. That’s ridiculous in my opinion. If you have a great team, your going to have a great team. Their going to win. If you lack talent it doesn’t matter how many hours you review tape, your still going to lose more often than not. 

Arians, who won a SB, is the complete opposite. Go home see your kids games etc. Prep is important no doubt but having meetings after meetings people are running at a very low concentration level. We all know it we do it in our fields everyday 

Sometimes you need to delegate tasks to be more effective. Nobody can consistently work 14+ hours every day and be sharp for the duration.

I understand the whole "first one in the building, last one out" mentality, but it's also how you burn yourself out.

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

There is very good human performance data that working more than 50 hours a week significantly negatively impacts performance.   That he spends that amount of time in the office is not going to improve performance.  As others have said, all that time in the office did not prevent a miscommunication with the kickoff in KC.  It did not help him decide to defend against a FG instead of a TD.  His challenge rate is poor though better last year.  Two point conversion offense and defense has been very poor during McD tenure.  

As I said in another post.......McDermott isn't punching a clock somewhere like some Joe Sixpack in your human performance data.    He's the boss and he is doing something he really enjoys.   Fulfilling a dream.   It isn't necessarily about whether each moment spent is as valuable as one spent in practice or with his staff etc..   And yeah, for an NFL HC putting in enough time to learn and recognize more about the competition can be very impactful.

See SB XLIX where Belichick had actually run the game winning defensive call that lead to the interception by Butler at the end of practice on Friday in anticipation of the Seahawks running it.   An obscure detail that snatched a SB win from the jaws of near certain defeat.    It's often pretty obvious when you see teams haven't put in offseason work to prepare for the Bills(and likewise in the past at least, I'm sure).   Many times a Bills team would have clear personnel weaknesses and a yet an opponent that knew they would be playing the Bills since the end of the prior season acted like they had no prior knowledge of the Bills personnel.    Then you would hear something like "well they only had a week to prepare for an unfamiliar opponent". :rolleyes:   

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Sometimes you need to delegate tasks to be more effective. Nobody can consistently work 14+ hours every day and be sharp for the duration.

I understand the whole "first one in the building, last one out" mentality, but it's also how you burn yourself out.

the problem is it’s not just the HC. The whole organization is putting in that time. You think low level quality control guy is going home if McDermott is there. You think the assistants are going home if McDermott is there. Highly unlikely 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

the problem is it’s not just the HC. The whole organization is putting in that time. You think low level quality control guy is going home if McDermott is there. You think the assistants are going home if McDermott is there. Highly unlikely 

At the very least you know frazier is there if McDermott is there 

10 hours ago, Bangarang said:

It still amazes me that coaches will spent countless hours studying and preparing for their opponents but still make some of the dumbest decisions during the game. 

Not a criticism of McD, just football coaches in general.

too much work/sleep depravation.  there is a thing as being over prepared.  

11 hours ago, Process said:

McVay is insane for not taking the Amazon deal. 

2x the money for 1% of the work

That money will likely always be there.  He’s the HC of a loaded perennial SB contender. Some of these guys love the camaraderie of being part of a team And the competitiveness.  

If it were me, I agree with you, I’d jump to the booth and take the money and the 6 month a year job.  💯 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That money will likely always be there.  He’s the HC of a loaded perennial SB contender. Some of these guys love the camaraderie of being part of a team And the competitiveness.  

If it were me, I agree with you, I’d jump to the booth and take the money and the 6 month a year job.  💯 

Yeah that money is there for the foreseeable future........if he doesn't get cancelled for saying or doing something offensive like Gruden.

But in effect McVay has probably hardly worked a day in his adult life.    He's always done professionally a job that he probably would have done for free if he didn't need food and shelter.   Now he's wealthy.    Most people grind thru work life day-to-day and crave the freedom of getting away from having to work.    Guys like McVay and McDermott haven't lived that life.   

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah that money is there for the foreseeable future........if he doesn't get cancelled for saying or doing something offensive like Gruden.

But in effect McVay has probably hardly worked a day in his adult life.    He's always done professionally a job that he probably would have done for free if he didn't need food and shelter.   Now he's wealthy.    Most people grind thru work life day-to-day and crave the freedom of getting away from having to work.    Guys like McVay and McDermott haven't lived that life.   

Agreed.  I’ve enjoyed all of my jobs.  Not many days where I’ve hated getting up and going to work.  It’s never been so much about hating work.  More so preferring to spend my short time on earth doing the things that I love to do as opposed to what I had to do in order to support the things that I love.  

it’s likely that guys like Mcvay and McD are doing both.  Lucky guys 💯.   At some point I think Mcvay will put his family first and move to a network, but I think he has at least another 5+ years. 

• Like (+1) 1

I love football but no thanks, all you coach :beer:

16 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Seems like McD is a workaholic, but if you want to be successful in the NFL, seems like that is the only way to do it...Rex tried to go the other direction during his tenure with the Bills and it didn't work out too well for him...

Also says it is a struggle to balance work with family life, which is no surprise either

Nice posterior chain 😉

16 hours ago, Process said:

McVay is insane for not taking the Amazon deal. 

2x the money for 1% of the work

Not when its in your blood.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.