McDermott says he often sleeps in the office Monday-Wednesday watching film...surprised but not surprised at the same time

Big Turk

Seems like McD is a workaholic, but if you want to be successful in the NFL, seems like that is the only way to do it...Rex tried to go the other direction during his tenure with the Bills and it didn't work out too well for him...

Also says it is a struggle to balance work with family life, which is no surprise either

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It’s what the good ones do, 

• Agree 2

I actually think it’s completely unnecessary to be honest. This is also coming from a guy who worked in a D1 program in a similar culture. 

I get that you want every detail installed but these guys get in at 6 AM and most don’t leave until 10 PM. That’s ridiculous in my opinion. If you have a great team, your going to have a great team. Their going to win. If you lack talent it doesn’t matter how many hours you review tape, your still going to lose more often than not. 

Arians, who won a SB, is the complete opposite. Go home see your kids games etc. Prep is important no doubt but having meetings after meetings people are running at a very low concentration level. We all know it we do it in our fields everyday 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

14 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

I actually think it’s completely unnecessary to be honest. This is also coming from a guy who worked in a D1 program in a similar culture. 

I get that you want every detail installed but these guys get in at 6 AM and most don’t leave until 10 PM. That’s ridiculous in my opinion. If you have a great team, your going to have a great team. Their going to win. If you lack talent it doesn’t matter how many hours you review tape, your still going to lose more often than not. 

Arians, who won a SB, is the complete opposite. Go home see your kids games etc. Prep is important no doubt but having meetings after meetings people are running at a very low concentration level. We all know it we do it in our fields everyday 

The issue becomes if you are not getting the results expected, this is the first reason they look to as to why..."Everyone else is doing this, that must be the reason you aren't doing as well"

These guys all do that stuff.  Part of the culture of being an NFL head coach is the perception that you must be working 20 hours a day in order to be doing a good job.

It's been that way for decades.

It still amazes me that coaches will spent countless hours studying and preparing for their opponents but still make some of the dumbest decisions during the game. 

Not a criticism of McD, just football coaches in general.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Bangarang said:

It still amazes me that coaches will spent countless hours studying and preparing for their opponents but still make some of the dumbest decisions during the game. 

That's a great point.  

If you are not going to have a relentless analytics department---and then listen to it with your decision making during the game---why bother sleeping in the office?

The culture of the NFL is a very tight little inbred community and they all think the same way and do the same things.

It's a shame, because right NOW there is a genuine opportunity for a single team to gain a truly competitive advantage by going in all-analytics.

10 or 15 years from now, ALL teams will be doing that, and the competitive advantage will be lost.

maybe-hopefully coach goes home for a couple of hours to see the fam when the kids get home from school and have dinner together and spend another hour around the house before heading back to the office...wondering what the diff would be watching film in his home office late nite rather than at the office, more equipment and capability perhaps but tech improvements are there for the work-life balance...working at a sustainable pace is a must for all of us.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

A lack of sleep will do that. Quite a few studies have shown that taking time off from work improves productivity.

44 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Perhaps due to exhaustion and inability to think clearly from it?

39 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

maybe-hopefully coach goes home for a couple of hours to see the fam when the kids get home from school and have dinner together and spend another hour around the house before heading back to the office...wondering what the diff would be watching film in his home office late nite rather than at the office, more equipment and capability perhaps but tech improvements are there for the work-life balance...working at a sustainable pace is a must for all of us.

If you read further down the tweet I just posted, it says McDermot was a guest speaker at an event they had yesterday and when asked how he balances work-family life said that he struggles every day and often spends Monday-Wednesday sleeping in the office during the season. There is no maybe, he said it himself...

Edited by Big Turk

My college roommate coached for Bears and Bills (during drought) and when we went to see a game and visit, he always just gave us his place for the weekend.  He slept in his office every time.  Slept there most days of the week.  He was and still is single, but it's definitely a thing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.