Do you take any vitamins on a daily basis?

Another Fan

I'm getting to the age where I think I got to start taking my health a little more serous.  Meaning doctor appts, checkups kind of thing.  I haven't had a real physical in 10 years.

But I've always taken b Complex vitamins.  Think it wakes my brain up in the morning.  I'm told zinc is good as well.  

Vitamin C and D I've been told its benefits.  Something I should look into 

4 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I'm getting to the age where I think I got to start taking my health a little more serous.  Meaning doctor appts, checkups kind of thing.  I haven't had a real physical in 10 years.

But I've always taken b Complex vitamins.  Think it wakes my brain up in the morning.  I'm told zinc is good as well.  

How old are you?  you should be visiting a doctor on some kind of routine basis, like every 6 months.

You have no idea what might be wrong with you, and the longer you let things go, the worse they can get, or shorten your life--or they might even kill you outright.

It's just a good idea to keep an eye on things.  You should probably be taking some prescription meds routinely to deal with little things that aren't quite right, and the fact that you aren't is just hurting your long term health.

Sure, you might be in 100% perfect health! That would be great...but odds are you are not.

I've got an older pop and a couple much older (10 & 12 years) brothers, so I kinda get to watch them to see where I'm headed haha.  

So far I haven't needed pharma meds (and have told my doc I'd prefer to avoid them if possible- I trust my body to regulate up to this point), beyond cortisone in my biceps tendon every few years.  My pop takes a regimen of supplements.  So far he's convinced me that turmeric is good for the joints, and eyeball supplements (lutein or the spendy ones) are good too.  I don't eat much fish, so I added omega's. My gal got me taking D, C, E and biotin.  She calls the biotin a women's secret to hair thickness and nail health.  I definitely noticed they both grow faster and healthier... not sure about thicker on the hair, but I'd say holding steady at the very least.  

I started taking multi's as an insurance policy for my somewhat questionable eating habits.   I'm somewhat consistent, but not religious on any of it.  

I throw in the occasional fibers for arterial plaque too.  

Of course, not knowing if I'd be any worse off without any of it, I have no clue if it's all just a waste of money haha. 

36 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

How old are you?  you should be visiting a doctor on some kind of routine basis, like every 6 months.

You have no idea what might be wrong with you, and the longer you let things go, the worse they can get, or shorten your life--or they might even kill you outright.

It's just a good idea to keep an eye on things.  You should probably be taking some prescription meds routinely to deal with little things that aren't quite right, and the fact that you aren't is just hurting your long term health.

Sure, you might be in 100% perfect health! That would be great...but odds are you are not.

Since you seem to have a lot of know how and experience with health and fitness perhaps you can talk about your regimes 

I’ve done a daily multi for about 5 years now to pick up the slack of anything I might be getting in diet. I have been eating less meat and the last lab test a couple months ago showed lower iron so I started on that and it’s helped some very irritating leg cramping at night when trying to get to sleep. It surprised me to find that most multis don’t have iron. Who knew? … Also do fish oil with a D3, that some studies have said helps with autism symptomology.

Ten years? I’m not a fan of doctors myself but you really ought to get the basics checked. At the very least do the blood work and routine physical once a year.

5 hours ago, Another Fan said:

You can get tested for vitamin deficiency. I did a blood test years ago and everything was fine. You should get most of your vitamins if you're eating a healthy diet. I take fish oil daily.  Get a good sweat going as often as you can...walk, jog, weights etc. Hit the sauna. 

• Like (+1) 1

I've actually started consuming more fermented foods rather than supplements, been reading and hearing a lot about gut bacteria and how important it seems to be to overall health.  I got some milk kefir grains from a Mennonite farm, kombucha starter on Friday, making and eating a lotof fermented vegetables as well.  So far results look promising in a small sample set.  We'll see how it goes over time 

• Like (+1) 1

Take two gummy multivitamins a day - one regular and one men's. Instructions on each bottle is take 2 a day so I take one of each.

Occasionally I take a Fish Oil pill, more often when my wife is not serving salmon.  We tend to go thru periods when she buys a whole salmon or salmon belly and I have salmon with my daily zucchini which has replaced my carbs.

One additional supplement for joints occasionally.

See the doc regularly. Serious things such as  high BP can have no symptoms until problems happe n. In 2014I wasn't feeling well but still didn't go to the doc. I'm a stupid pollock.  Friends finally got an ex-girlfriend to call me to convince me to go to the hospital. She had to talk to me for 2 hours to convince me to go. Finally went the next day at 4 PM to the emergency room, expecting to be out at 7 PM or so.  Took my BP (247/72!!!!!!!!!!!) (Not a typo) and they said they were admitting me. (Oh S**t  moment #1). At about 9 PM I ask why I'm still in the ER and they said they were waiting for a room in the ICU(Oh St**t moment #2).  The next morning I am getting a brain scan and hear over the PA "Code Stroke!". Ask what is that for and the attendant said "That's for you!" Said "Oh S**t"" and puked.That was a Monday Was conscious as I remember getting a sponge bath and having compression pants on, but the next clear memory I have was on Thursday when friends came to visit me. The docs told me that my kidney function was down to 10 % because of the high BP. I take 6 BP pills several times a day and my bp is rightvwhere it should be and my kidney function  is much ,much better (I see  a nephrologist also).

• Shocked 2

Just take the RDA of water soluble vitamins such as Vitamin C. Taking megadoses of water soluble ones is just wasting your  $. You just pee the excess out. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.