Hypothetically, What would you have done if Buffalo signed Deshaun Watson?

JerseyBills

It's beyond belief that the Browns signed this clown to the largest contract in NFL history and traded a boatlad of picks for him.  Haslam is trash.  I'd realliy struggle if the Bills signed him.  I'd probably root for him to have a career-ending injury so that the team could move on and I'd be highly reluctant to root for his success with the team.

45 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

The Browns giving up 3 straight 1st round picks+ for Watson and then guaranteeing him near a Quarter billion without knowing his future, is lunacy. 

And to pull that sort of highly desperate move to with the jury still out on Baker who still had a decent chance to end up a franchise guy is totally beyond me. I believe the whole front office will be fired by this time next year. It’s gonna get even uglier and uglier before things settle in with this situation. Everyone involved will pay and likely have a tough time getting serious shots at top leadership positions in the NFL.

4 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Let's see how Goodell handles this situation.

We shall soon see, if the Commissioner is a total scumbag, as well.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34054310/cleveland-browns-qb-deshaun-watson-saw-least-66-massage-therapists-17-month-period-report-says

Depends on what the focus groups, tv networks, sponsorships, and legal team tell him.

I'd wouldn't root for him but I'd still root for the team and I'd be saying what I have said now. He should be subject to the harshest discipline the NFL feels it has available to it under the policy on the basis of its investigation but unless he is found guilty in a criminal trial then I would defend his right to continue his career once any disciplinary penalty has been served. But I still wouldn't cheer for him. 

I am honeslty not sure how I would deal with it.  There are two instances I can think of, that have tested my fandom of the Bills.  I prefer to like the guys on the team I am rooting for...I don't gotta love them, but I don't want to feel ashamed to root for them during a game.  For instance, I really never liked Doug Flutie.  Loated him before he was a Bill, always thought he was a jerk.  But, he wasn't DeShaun Watson level jerk...I rooted for him when he was taking snaps for the Bills...and I admit, he was pretty fun to watch at times...but I still never really liked him.  Ditto for LeSean McCoy.  As much as I didn't really care for either (both probably the most significant players on their respctive Bills teams). my support for the Bills never waivered.  In all seriousness, Dick Jauron probably had me closer to snapping than any player...:)

The other instance, which was (and still is) harder for me to wrap my head around, is how to file OJ Simpson.  My Bills fandom came of age when Simpson was in his heyday... I can't even imagine a childhood without OJ.   Obviously, his infractions on decency did not come to light until well after his time in Buffalo, it still makes me a little melancholy knowing that one of my ultimate heroes as a kid, a guy who cemented a way of life (being a Bills fan) for me, was a total scumbag. I am much older now, but I would be lying if I said it still doesn't hurt me a little when I think about it.  I am a bit of Bills memorabilia collector... I particularly love coming across items from 1972-1983. There have been times when I have come across great OJ Simpson items from that era... if I purchase one to add to my collection, I always have to rationalize it in my head...

As transplanted Bills fan in Texas, what people always seem to know about the Bills, is that they lost "2 Super Bowls in a row" (I don't feel the need to correct them!), and OJ Simpson got away with murdering his ex-wife.  It kinda sucks.  

As I said, not sure how I would deal with Watson in a Bills uniform...glad we don't have to worry about it. 

Edited by Buftex
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

There is no way Beane would have trade for him with all that baggage.

If we needed a QB this year Beane probably isn’t making the decision.

You have to think about this as a desperate fan and a desperate team. Right now we aren’t in a situation where we would sell our soul.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

8 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm curious what folks on here think about Browns fans basically giving up their loyalty and fandom to the Browns because of the Watson signing. 

It has been all over Reddit for weeks , with die hard Browns fans claiming they're done with their team and many looking to join Bills Mafia.

So with yet another woman coming through claiming Watson was in a Yoga pose and when the masseuse refused to massage the area between his balls and anus , grabbed her wrist and forced her. 

So now even more Browns fans are coming forward and denouncing their Browns fandom. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/07/sports/football/deshaun-watson.html

Long story short, what would you do if our very own Buffalo Bills signed this sicko ? 

I personally don't know if I could do it. I was a fan since 8 years old and idk if I could throw away investing 2 decades of loving this team. Just curious how others feel, because of all the Browns fans who want nothing to do with them. Especially with a 1st pick , pretty good QB in Baker still on the roster. 

P.S- Obviously McBeane would never make this move. Even without Josh.

I'm just wondering if we had whatever GM or HC and they signed Watson to 100s of millions, would you abandon the Bills like many Brown fans are apparently doing?

I hate trying to answer a hypothetical thing like this because it is much easier to stand your moral high ground when it is absolutely something that would not happen, but here it goes.

I hated Rex Ryan and was very vocal on here (and anyplace else I could be) against his signing.  To me Rex was a clown show, it was the lowest I felt during the drought and basically I drifted away from the team.  As a family - we did not support the team and my posting and even reading the boards or caring about anything to do with the Bills was at a low since the early 80’s.  That was just for a guy coaching the team that I thought made us a joke.

My fandom to me is very important, but more important is my Wife and Daughter and if this sleaze bag was in any way associated with the Bills - I believe I would step away hard and basically I would be done with the team during this time.  I would probably actively join protest groups to air my displeasure and basically be miserable in my hatred of My Team.  

The worst part for me is what would happen if this dirt bag played and the team won.  I want a victory so bad - would I be able to maintain the moral ground or by year 3 has this passed.  I believe I would be done until all vestiges of this lying scum and any FO people were gone and maybe forever if the owner was a scum like Haslam or Kraft, but who know what twists the mind will allow for fandom.

The one thing I know for sure if I was a Browns fan - even though we made the trade - I would be hoping and praying the NFL suspends and boots Watson out of the league before he ever plays a down for my team.  It is not my money and the integrity of the team is more important- if he never plays - I can chalk it up to a crappy FO and move on shortly and never look at the record books and see this guy as a part of my team in history.  Once game 1 goes in the book - even pre season - then all bets are off.

😥

Edited by Rochesterfan

I’d cancel my tickets. Maybe watch a game here or there but I can’t root for a guy like that. 

People here have mentioned Vick and at least in his case, he did a lot to try to change his old ways, spoke out against dog fighting, and really tried to turn a new leaf.  I would have struggled there, but could have seen myself coming around on him

Watson taking the field in Buffalo next year (as a visitor mind you) already makes me sick to my stomach.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I would also add that the Browns are not alone, but have moved up to the worst franchise with Watson.  I have a huge issue with KC and their repeated signing and playing of domestic violence/drug abusers and even after getting rid of Hill - that team deserves to just slowly die away.  

Miami now moves into that category with their pursuit of Watson and then their signing of a scum like Hill - they deserve to crash and burn.

Seattle and Pete Carroll are another match that I just can’t stand with their DVers - some of whom are now in KC and Carroll to me has always been a slimy individual based on his USC and previous NFL actions.

None of them hold a candle right now to Cleveland- which sucks because for years they were the lovable losers that you could root for and now I hope for a tire fire of epic proportions bad enough to take the team away.

9 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm curious what folks on here think about Browns fans basically giving up their loyalty and fandom to the Browns because of the Watson signing. 

It has been all over Reddit for weeks , with die hard Browns fans claiming they're done with their team and many looking to join Bills Mafia.

So with yet another woman coming through claiming Watson was in a Yoga pose and when the masseuse refused to massage the area between his balls and anus , grabbed her wrist and forced her. 

So now even more Browns fans are coming forward and denouncing their Browns fandom. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/07/sports/football/deshaun-watson.html

Long story short, what would you do if our very own Buffalo Bills signed this sicko ? 

I personally don't know if I could do it. I was a fan since 8 years old and idk if I could throw away investing 2 decades of loving this team. Just curious how others feel, because of all the Browns fans who want nothing to do with them. Especially with a 1st pick , pretty good QB in Baker still on the roster. 

P.S- Obviously McBeane would never make this move. Even without Josh.

I'm just wondering if we had whatever GM or HC and they signed Watson to 100s of millions, would you abandon the Bills like many Brown fans are apparently doing?

The Browns should have insisted that he settle these lawsuits before making any deal.  I cannot see how the NFL which has a large base of woman fans could allow him on the field this season. People bring up Robert Kraft and try to use that as a comparison,  the difference is Kraft was in a known happy ending  place where Watson forced some of these ladies into sexual acts who thought they were just being hired for a massage.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.