PFF 10 top coaches...LOL

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

In a similarly useful, highly scientific exercise, I am going to rank the best flavors of ice cream but stipulate for the purposes of my rankings that they all have to taste like mashed potatoes.

Talk about off-season filler content...

I'm not saying I agree with any of it.  Without context as far as how they getting all their averages, it's complete nonsense.  It would honestly probably still be nonsense with context.  Just wanted to point out that it wasn't a direct ranking of their coaches.

Edited by cle23

Truth be told, I don't think the list is that far off.

There is a trend in the league now to hire "genius" OC's as head coaches.

Most of the coaches at the top are all former OC's and the DC's are dropping down the list.  I think thats whats driving the ranking.

Thats why you have Andy Reid, Kyle Shanahan, and Sean McVay near the top.  Even Frank Reich is ahead of McDermott.

All of those OC's have their own playbook and truly understand offense.  Thats what teams are looking for these days.

DC's as HC's could go the way of the dinosaur or at least thats the current trend.

Can you imagine Josh having Andy Reid, or Kyle Shanahan or McVay as his HC working under their tutelage ? 

I think he would progress far more in his development.

Or let me ask the question differently.  Do you all think Mahommes would be who he is today without Andy Reid ?

• Disagree 2

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Part of a HC's responsibility is to build a winning roster and develop the talent. 

Developing, yes.  Teams have the head coach involved in varying degrees on roster building.  McDermott is a good HC.  I don't think you'd find many people arguing that.  But he also has a hugely talented roster.  And honestly, he was worse last year as opposed to the year before overall, with a better roster.  

There is no way to measure any of this so the PFF article is kind of pointless.

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yes.  This metric states that Kliff Kingsbury is one of the best coaches in the league.  Mike McCarthy is a top 10 coach and Zac Taylor is currently a worse HC than Lovie Smith.

McCarthy = 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Draconator said:

For those that don't want to click (we salute you)

16. SEAN MCDERMOTT, BUFFALO BILLS (8.9 – 8.1 RECORD WITH AVERAGE ROSTER)

• Offensive Rank: 20/26 (+12 points scored a season)
  • Defensive Rank: 7/26 (-4 points scored a season)

McDermott sticks true to his roots as a former defensive coordinator, helming strong units on that side of the ball while not always getting expected results out of his offenses based on talent level.

In fairness it never mentioned whether you could make the playoffs with a dumpster fire roster like in 2017, which somehow miraculously he did and aside from an obvious bad call on the "block' we would have beaten Houston with said dumpster fire team barring a missed FG.

24 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Developing, yes.  Teams have the head coach involved in varying degrees on roster building.  McDermott is a good HC.  I don't think you'd find many people arguing that.  But he also has a hugely talented roster.  And honestly, he was worse last year as opposed to the year before overall, with a better roster.  

There is no way to measure any of this so the PFF article is kind of pointless.

Yes, PPF is definitely pointless.  In a game that with humans, algorithms may not always apply.

51 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Most of the coaches at the top are all former OC's and the DC's are dropping down the list.  I think thats whats driving the ranking.

Thats why you have Andy Reid, Kyle Shanahan, and Sean McVay near the top.  Even Frank Reich is ahead of McDermott.

All of those OC's have their own playbook and truly understand offense.  Thats what teams are looking for these days.

DC's as HC's could go the way of the dinosaur or at least thats the current trend.

Can you imagine Josh having Andy Reid, or Kyle Shanahan or McVay as his HC working under their tutelage ? 

Or let me ask the question differently.  Do you all think Mahommes would be who he is today without Andy Reid ?

Yes.  

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Reality seems to have proven this wrong. Josh has become one of the best QBs under a defensive-minded HC.

Because the truth is that a HC's schematic background doesn't matter at all.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I am wondering if PFF is trying to do some sort of consideration of talent on team.   The bills are loaded.

Yes.  They’re trying to control for talent by using Pythagorean wins.  While that metric is more predictive than W-L records, I don’t much care for its use here.  Too much else at play as others have mentioned.  I think PFF does a good job at some things, but this one is pretty poor. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

In fairness it never mentioned whether you could make the playoffs with a dumpster fire roster like in 2017, which somehow miraculously he did and aside from an obvious bad call on the "block' we would have beaten Houston with said dumpster fire team barring a missed FG.

No. Houston was 2019. Jacksonville was 2017. We'd have won if we had a QB who didn't suck.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Kingsbury at #4??? 

McDermott #18??

Both Super Bowl Coaches outside the top 10 and Zac Taylor #22??

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-head-coach-rankings-2022-bill-belichick-andy-reid-john-harbaugh

Why is it at all surprising that PFF tells us that any number of mediocre performers are "actually" better than the guys who are top performers?   It's their schtick: manipulating arcane -- and sometimes irrelevant -- statistics to "prove" that traditional methods of assessing players and coaches -- actual production/results -- don't tell the "true story".   PFF regularly claim that Crappy QB A is really almost as good as All Pro QB B because A plays on a lousy team with poor coaching while B plays on a well coached team with good talent.  That's why Kliff Kingsbury is rated #4 and Mike Tomlin is rated #13 in the magical and incredibly capricious statistical universe of PFF.   Why is Tomlin penalized for having Roethlisberger for most of his tenure in Pittsburgh but McCarthy isn't despite having Rodgers in GB and Dak in Dallas and accomplishing less? 

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Why is it at all surprising that PFF tells us that any number of mediocre performers are "actually" better than the guys who are top performers?   It's their schtick: manipulating arcane -- and sometimes irrelevant -- statistics to "prove" that traditional methods of assessing players and coaches -- actual production/results -- don't tell the "true story".   PFF regularly claim that Crappy QB A is really almost as good as All Pro QB B because A plays on a lousy team with poor coaching while B plays on a well coached team with good talent.  That's why Kliff Kingsbury is rated #4 and Mike Tomlin is rated #13 in the magical and incredibly capricious statistical universe of PFF.   Why is Tomlin penalized for having Roethlisberger for most of his tenure in Pittsburgh but McCarthy isn't despite having Rodgers in GB and Dak in Dallas and accomplishing less? 

Because McCarthy's agent pays PFF a higher subscription fee.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

He's a SB winning head coach and that matters so I would also put him in the top 10 and above McD for that reason alone.

Also when you consider what a circus the Dallas front office is with Jerry Jones at the helm it's still a big deal that he got the Cowboys back to the playoffs and won the division last year regardless of getting bounced in the first round.

Shirley

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.