PFF 10 top coaches...LOL

I think their reasoning is lazy and I don't like a lot of that list...but I think McD being somewhere in the middle of the pack is pretty accurate. 

I also agree with what a couple of others have said in this thread...they mentioned his strong defensive acumen but his defenses have consistently come up small in the biggest games and moments of his time here. 

• Agree 1

Just now, MJS said:

A tier is "one of two or more rows, levels, or ranks arranged one above another."

Imagine that there are multiple tiers of coaches in the league, then imagine that there is a top tier of coaches. Then imagine that McDermott is in that top tier.

That's what I mean.

Imagine being wrong then.

5 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Definitely, I mainly was referring to Vrabel/Reich. Guess I should have clarified a bit more. I can see how some would put Shanahan 1 or 2 spots ahead of McD. 

So can I. Shanahan above McDermott I think is fair. But he is still in that tier to me rather than in the top 2 tiers. Personally I have Shanny #6, McDermott #7 and Vrabel #8. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Imagine being wrong then.

Go look at any other coach ranking and McDermott will be among the top coaches.

You McDermott haters are getting more and more lonely, and your arguments are getting more and more flimsy.

Just now, MJS said:

Go look at any other coach ranking and McDermott will be among the top coaches.

You McDermott haters are getting more and more lonely, and your arguments are getting more and more flimsy.

There is no sensible way of including McDermott in the top tier of NFL head coaches. 

And LMAO at McDermott hater. I think he’s a good HC

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, cle23 said:

I'm not saying I agree with them, but they are basing it on if they had an average roster.  So it's not a ranking on how the coaches have performed with their given team, but how they THINK they'd perform if every coach was given the exact same roster of average players.

So what did they think about McDs first season, when they had your boy Tyrod and Nate peterman leading the team to the playoffs while throwing to Kelvin Benjamin and Zay Jones.  The same season everyone proclaimed us to be tanking based on the talent level of the roster. Yet McD broke the playoff drought…..in his first season. I’m sure that carries zero weight….

Just now, GunnerBill said:

So can I. Shanahan above McDermott I think is fair. But he is still in that tier to me rather than in the top 2 tiers. Personally I have Shanny #6, McDermott #7 and Vrabel #8. 

Yeah, That's about where I'm at. For me, I can't see McD no worse than 8th, or maybe even 9th. But better than 10th

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

In a similarly useful, highly scientific exercise, I am going to rank the best flavors of ice cream but stipulate for the purposes of my rankings that they all have to taste like mashed potatoes.

Talk about off-season filler content...

My throat hurts from laughing so hard at

this comment.  We’ll done my six fingered friend.  I can expect reasonably 4th or so would be fair as Belichick, and Harbaugh makes a lot of sense with longevity of success, and can even go along with McVeigh as he has two SB appearances with one win.  That’s why 4th or 5th if you throw in Reid.  This just makes PFF a joke.  PFF, 20th in offense.  Do thesE morons not see we were too 3 in the NFL in offense on the last two years and now his OC just was promoted to the Giants HC.

Here's the problem with using analytics to judge coaches.

Players thrive under good coaches.  Because the players are playing well, they're rated highly by the analytic guys.  So the expectation is that the coach wins all his games because he has the better rated players.  

Analytic nerds are still struggling to fairly evaluate players given all the things that impact their performance (coaching, scheme, the players around them, their responsibility on each playcall, etc.).  They're not remotely ready to evaluate coaches.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

I've read a lot of annoying things in PFF, but this may be the worst. Ignoring the article's rankings, and just reading the author's comments is enough. He completely ignores such concepts as team building and culture. It appears that he doesn't consider anything a head coach does beyond game-day on the sideline. The only thing he seems to regard before last season is coaches reputations. I frankly think he knows almost nothing about many of these teams, and coaches beyond the stat sheets in front of his face. And seriously-- Kliff Kingsbury #4...?

And I'll just go ahead and be a homer here in defense of our Sean McDermott: "...not always getting expected results out of his offenses based on talent level." Perhaps this author doesn't know the Buffalo Bills of 2017 (and their first playoff appearance in nearly two decades) , captained by Tyrod Taylor throwing to fat-ass Kelvin Benjimin, and Mills, and Ducasse protecting the right side of the O-line? 

1 minute ago, hondo in seattle said:

Here's the problem with using analytics to judge coaches.

Players thrive under good coaches.  Because the players are playing well, they're rated highly by the analytic guys.  So the expectation is that the coach wins all his games because he has the better rated players.  

I'm sure many do rank in that particular way. For me, I think you also have to look at how a particular coach manages his roster. Things like players respect and wanting to play for said coach. Also bringing the team together and getting the most from each player. Character can also play a part. 

It's logical to consider those other things like that along with W/L records. 

• Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

McDermott took the Bills to the playoffs with a career back up and a bunch or WR's that weren't in the league 2-3 years later.

So he beat the Bills in a terrible weather game.  What happened the next two times?  Well, in those 14 drives, we scored 11 TD's, Emmanuel Sanders dropped a TD pass and kicked two FG's.  Did Belicheck lack talent on defense or was he severely outcoached?

He has eight SB rings.  You really think he is not a top tier coach any more?  What McD accomplished with TT and that bunch of WR's is very impressive. So is Belichick getting to the playoffs with a rookie QB.  The two don't need to be mutually exclusive.

As for the playoff game, I was there and there was simply no stopping Allen that day.  Everything worked including the throw away TD to Knox.  No team was beating the Bills at home in that setting on that day.  

33 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

McDermott took the Bills to the playoffs with a career back up and a bunch or WR's that weren't in the league 2-3 years later.

So he beat the Bills in a terrible weather game.  What happened the next two times?  Well, in those 14 drives, we scored 11 TD's, Emmanuel Sanders dropped a TD pass and kicked two FG's.  Did Belicheck lack talent on defense or was he severely outcoached?

He has eight SB rings.  You really think he is not a top tier coach any more?  What McD accomplished with TT and that bunch of WR's is very impressive. So is Belichick getting to the playoffs with a rookie QB.  The two don't need to be mutually exclusive.

As for the playoff game, I was there and there was simply no stopping Allen that day.  Everything worked including the throw away TD to Knox.  No team was beating the Bills at home in that setting on that day.  

I took some time to understand the analysis, I think they are missing a lot of key context around roster construction (which they did say they were omitting) and nuance from year to year.  Looking at the list, coaches I would immediately put beneath McD are:

Kingsbury - had a 5-9 first season where they bottomed out, then brought in Kyler and Hopkins.  Were average two seasons ago (and fizzled out at the end of the year), and slightly above average this year, with a slew of offensive weapons and a 1st overall rookie QB at the helm.

Pete Carroll - he was great in the mid 2010s, but man has his team struggled over the last few seasons.  He had a top 5 QB the entire decade, but his defense is what has struggled.  Just poor design and execution.

Frank Reich - Hasn't had a season about 11 wins, in potentially the easiest division in the AFC.  Carousel of QBs aside, I just havent seen enough wins when it has mattered to push him above McD, who has made the AFC Championship game and playoffs in 4 of 5 years

Mike Mccarthy - Was fired from GB recently, took a Cowboys team loaded with talent (their roster was very strong last year) to a 12-5 record (which is what should have been expected with that roster and in that division) and lost in the WC.  Nobody looks at Mccarthy as a coach who elevates the roster currently.

Brandon Staley - simply not done enough.  9-8 is a decent record, but top 12 coach?  Needs more time

Nick Sirianni - Limped to a 9-8 record (similar to McD in his rookie year as HC) but was blown out by Tampa.  Wasn't even a close matchup.  Needs to show much more

Doug Pederson - Had one great year, with Nick Foles running Reich's inventive offense.  Has been average to below average every other year, and was fired recently.

That puts McD right around 10th with Tomlin, Vrabel, McVay - where I think he should be.  Playoffs in 4 of 5 seasons, elevated the results of a completely dysfunctional organization in Year 1.  Competitive defense all 5 years, brought in a slew of coordinators who have moved onto promotions, and has improved his own coaching ability year over year.  To me he is right there with Vrabel, if not slightly ahead.

Their methodology is inherently flawed. From a quantitative standpoint, they leave out strength of schedule, weather, etc.

From a qualitative standpoint, they don't address this at all. Leadership and motivational qualities, how they treat players, etc. 

This is the problem with PFF. They try to break everything down into quantitative items, and certain things absolutely cannot be measured that way. But hey, they try. The PFF results are absolute crap much of the time for this reason.

3 minutes ago, todd said:

Their methodology is inherently flawed. From a quantitative standpoint, they leave out strength of schedule, weather, etc.

From a qualitative standpoint, they don't address this at all. Leadership and motivational qualities, how they treat players, etc. 

This is the problem with PFF. They try to break everything down into quantitative items, and certain things absolutely cannot be measured that way. But hey, they try. The PFF results are absolute crap much of the time for this reason.

I find it funny that they use a simple quantitative equation, pair it with a 2 variable analysis, add their own thoughts and opinions on top of it all, leave our core variables, and come off as some intensive statistical breakdown and analysis.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Yes, he's an All Time Great.  I'm talking about now...I don't view him as that anymore.  

Not just the playoff game, we dominated his defense in New England in week 16. 

I think Brady covered his warts while he was in New England.  He's a below .500 coach without Brady.  

7 minutes ago, todd said:

Bingo.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.