PFF 10 top coaches...LOL

58 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Not even clicking on that bait. I assume it's based on some kind of advanced metric they made up?

Confused Mouth Open GIF

Exactly, i never click on any pff article/link, they make crap up all the time and present it as if it was legitimate, pff is trash.

PFF seems to give more weight to a coach’s offensive ranking than defensive, when assigning an overall ranking.  Wondering whether their offensive and defensive rankings underscore the player development aspect and team cohesiveness aspects  of fielding a winning team too, which I view as strengths of McDermott.  On the other hand, is in-game management considered here?

Edited by strive_for_five_guy

34 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Belichick, Reid and Harbaugh aren't a bad top 3, but after that it gets goofy, IMO

By the time Belichick and Reid retire they could be #1 and #2 all-time in career wins. 

Yea it is the right top 3. 

Their methodology does kind of depend on the GM and personnel side as well though.... you get credit for getting production out of lower contracts and you get knocked for not getting production out of higher contracts based on how I read it. So if you have a guy on a big deal under producing that all goes against the coach whereas the reality in many cases is it is just a bad contract by the GM. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea it is the right top 3. 

Their methodology does kind of depend on the GM and personnel side as well though.... you get credit for getting production out of lower contracts and you get knocked for not getting production out of higher contracts based on how I read it. So if you have a guy on a big deal under producing that all goes against the coach whereas the reality in many cases is it is just a bad contract by the GM. 

If this list was 5-7 years ago, I would have Belicheck up there.  I don't think he's even top 5 now.  

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Funny, because McDermott took a below average roster, including a poor QB, to the playoffs in his first year as a head coach.

13 seconds... like it or not thats on coaching. Goes right to the top to the HC for preparedness of these situations

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Kingsbury at #4??? 

McDermott #18??

Both Super Bowl Coaches outside the top 10 and Zac Taylor #22??

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-head-coach-rankings-2022-bill-belichick-andy-reid-john-harbaugh

Wow! Can't help but to question some of those rankings lol. 

Just another one of those things to add to the list from PFF that I can't take serious.

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

4 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

13 seconds... like it or not thats on coaching. Goes right to the top to the HC for preparedness of these situations

Get over it. McDermott is a top tier coach in this league. If you choose to condemn him for 13 seconds and ignore the rest of what he has accomplished, that is on you.

• Agree 6

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

Good question.  More likely holding the ball and holding the ball and then scramble.

Lost my voice many of time screaming at t.v "throw the ***** ball"

Just now, GoBills808 said:

What’s top tier? 

Always understood it to be top 5 or 10. 

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

If this list was 5-7 years ago, I would have Belicheck up there.  I don't think he's even top 5 now.  

I disagree. His 7-9 coaching job two years ago with a bottom 5 roster and the absolute worst QB play in the league was one of his best coached seasons IMO. Even getting them to 10 wins last year. I think they should, by talent alone, be one of the worst 5 teams in the league this season. It is probably bad for the Pats that he keeps them overachieving with their talent because they need some difference makers and they have stopped finding them later in the draft so early picks would help. But he is still coaching the hell out of that team. They are just less talented. 

I'm not a big believer in McDermott but I certainly wouldn't say he's the 22nd best coach in this league regardless of his shortcomings in the playoffs and/or against good teams.

I still think at worse he should be in that 10 - 15 range if anything because his body of work and how this franchise has changed in recent years.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.