Dumbest thing you've ever done.

Beast

Just did it Friday.

Have a 2022 GMC Diesel....left work, pissed as hell at my boss, went to the pumps and pumped about 5 gallons of unleaded in it. Now, I've never had a diesel before and my mind was murderous at the time (even moreso after my blunder). Got my truck back today and am 650 lighter in the wallet.

Ugh. 

I'm an idiot. But that won't happen again.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Beast said:

Just did it Friday.

Have a 2022 GMC Diesel....left work, pissed as hell at my boss, went to the pumps and pumped about 5 gallons of unleaded in it. Now, I've never had a diesel before and my mind was murderous at the time (even moreso after my blunder). Got my truck back today and am 650 lighter in the wallet.

Ugh. 

I'm an idiot. But that won't happen again.

Well, you’ll just have to keep finding new ways to prove it!  :)

This is actually quite challenging, with so many options to consider. I’ll need some time to consider, but I seriously doubt my top entries will be published here.  🤷‍♂️

When my son was in high school some jerk put sugar in the gas tank of his (new) first car. The car died as he was getting on the highway and things could have gotten seriously ugly. Insurance covered replacing everything, and we still traded it in before too long. That’s a big deal! 

Sorry for your oops and hope for no lasting repercussions. I totally understand how easily that could happen. 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

whoa how to pick just one................ha

One I'll share is using a sharp knife to cut from a whole ham and instead nearly halved my opposing left index finger.....what a dumbass.  an arrow shaped scar till this day remains. 

Not smaaat. #stitches

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

Yeah... You went the wrong way, putting diesel in a gasoline motor the better of the two. 

Did you start it? Probably shouldn't have.  Immediately get it towed.

Anyway... Isn't a diesel pump wider?  Probably should have seen there is extra room.  You'd think since going the direction you went, more dangerous for the motor... They'd make the diesel pump smaller... BUT I guess more gasoline vehicles and those people would be screwing up more.

Thankfully it was ONLY $650.  When wife drove through flood with new BMW it was $1500.  Thankfully the thing didn't hydrolock...

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

I thought the filler ports were different sizes, for auto gas and diesel, to maybe save such a problem?   Maybe not??:doh:

They are.  Diesel bigger.  Can't put diesel in a petrol vehicle.   Too big... But the smaller petrol filler will fit in diesel.  Even know it's more dangerous that way... Far fewer people drive diesels.

13 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... You went the wrong way, putting diesel in a gasoline motor the better of the two. 

Did you start it? Probably shouldn't have.  Immediately get it towed.

Anyway... Isn't a diesel pump wider?  Probably should have seen there is extra room.  You'd think since going the direction you went, more dangerous for the motor... They'd make the diesel pump smaller... BUT I guess more gasoline vehicles and those people would be screwing up more.

Thankfully it was ONLY $650.  When wife drove through flood with new BMW it was $1500.  Thankfully the thing didn't hydrolock...

Yeah, I noticed and didn't drive. My mind was elsewhere and I have spent my life pumping unleaded until the past two months.

Just now, Beast said:

Yeah, I noticed and didn't drive. My mind was elsewhere and I have spent my life pumping unleaded until the past two months.

Gr8!  You did well and probably why it only cost $650.  You run it, could have been in 1,000s!  Basically they dropped tank and drained it... Good that it didn't get pulled through system.  That's the bad direction to go.  Diesel in petrol now, doesn't do much harm... A guy at work put diesel in the petrol John Deere Gator... All we had to do was drain tank and clean lines. 

• Like (+1) 1

A buddy of mine in high school got a brand new car from his dad. He had no idea you had to change the oil in the car. So we were driving up to a tournament in Canada and the engine starts knocking and we pull over. I pop the hood and i'm like this thing is like a year old what have you been doing to this thing? He'd put like 30k miles on it in a year cause he drove everywhere. I jokingly asked him when the last time he changed the oil was and he's like what do you mean? thing was totalled. 

With so many to choose from, I don't think I can pick just one as the dumbest. Let's just say I'm lucky to be alive and I'm glad digital cameras didn't exist in my younger days. In no way whatsoever do I need an archive of my past.

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

If you would have stayed within a 100 miles (oh, BTW that's 160km) of the border, basically like never leaving the US.  You would been fine!  But everyone makes mistakes from time to time...

What?  Have you seen/met/heard/smelled a Canadian?  That flower head monster from Stranger Things probably had better breath.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.