Romeo Crennel retiring

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34047704/after-nearly-40-seasons-coaching-nfl-romeo-crennel-73-announces-retirement

He had little success as a HC but spent most of his time in Cleveland.  Who has had success there?  Given his longevity at the DC position and multiple stops outside of New England, I wonder what people think of him as a coach?  He would have one of the better track records after leaving New England.  

Also I read this on wikipedia.  I was not aware he witnessed the death himself. That must have been horrific.  

On December 1, 2012, Crennel attempted to prevent the suicide of player Jovan Belcher by talking to him and witnessed his death by a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

• Eyeroll 1

39 minutes ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

I thought he was out of the NFL awhile ago, he coached some good defenders though. Good luck Romeo, happy retirement!

As did I. Had no idea he was still coaching. 

45 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34047704/after-nearly-40-seasons-coaching-nfl-romeo-crennel-73-announces-retirement

He had little success as a HC but spent most of his time in Cleveland.  Who has had success there?  Given his longevity at the DC position and multiple stops outside of New England, I wonder what people think of him as a coach?  He would have one of the better track records after leaving New England.  

Also I read this on wikipedia.  I was not aware he witnessed the death himself. That must have been horrific.  

On December 1, 2012, Crennel attempted to prevent the suicide of player Jovan Belcher by talking to him and witnessed his death by a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head.

I had no idea the bolded ever happened. Terrible. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

As did I. Had no idea he was still coaching. 

I had no idea the bolded ever happened. Terrible. 

6 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Nor did I.  That is heavy.

i think it was in KC.  he and i think the gm tried to stop it and failed unfortunately.  if i remember the story, they were trying to talk him down while he was in the car in the stadium parking lot.

• Sad 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, teef said:

i think it was in KC.  he and i think the gm tried to stop it and failed unfortunately.  if i remember the story, they were trying to talk him down while he was in the car in the stadium parking lot.

I remember the story about that when it happened, I thought he was on the phone with him;  I didn't realize that he was right there too.  That is awful, I cant even imagine having that happen.  Some of these coaches feel that all of their players are their sons, so this may have been truly awful for him to exp. 

1 hour ago, Gregthekeg said:

I remember the story about that when it happened, I thought he was on the phone with him;  I didn't realize that he was right there too.  That is awful, I cant even imagine having that happen.  Some of these coaches feel that all of their players are their sons, so this may have been truly awful for him to exp. 

i could be off on the details, but the story stuck with me.  

20 hours ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

I thought he was out of the NFL awhile ago, he coached some good defenders though. Good luck Romeo, happy retirement!

He was out 2 years - 2009 (after hip surgery he took a break) and 2012 (After being fired by Chiefs).

Heard rumors about him being signed as head coach of alternate teams but I do not remember him signing.

I think he is a good assistant to someone who needs coach to execute his plan but not lead.

• Like (+1) 1

Story from 2000.  My uncle, who lives in the Cleveland area, is talking to his neighbor who didn’t know a lot about football.  He tells him he was just at a party that weekend and talked most of the night about hunting and fishing with the nicest guy.  Really big dude named Romeo.  Football never came up except he said he worked for the Browns.  My uncle said he laughed and told him that the guy was the Browns new Defensive Coordinator.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.