Visiting Letchworth - any suggestions?

SinceThe70s

3 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

I guess you can get pics of trains on the new bridge, but there are few trains. Bridge is strictly off limits

First off, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond so far - keep the suggestions coming. We tend to never vacation in the same place twice and sometimes it takes more than the few days we have to get the lay of the land so all this info is much appreciated.

With that said @MarkyMannn, not sure what 'new bridge' is referring to. 

5 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

First off, thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond so far - keep the suggestions coming. We tend to never vacation in the same place twice and sometimes it takes more than the few days we have to get the lay of the land so all this info is much appreciated.

With that said @MarkyMannn, not sure what 'new bridge' is referring to. 

Its the new trestle/bridge by the upper falls.

On 6/5/2022 at 7:10 PM, SinceThe70s said:

We have a day allocated to Watkins Glen.  Not sure how much time we would need there - also thinking of possibly hitting that on our way home. 

A stop in hammondsport may be worth it.  There is a museum there dedicated to Curtis motorbikes and aircraft.  Some nearby restaurants and wineries - Dr. Frank is both.

• Like (+1) 1

Outside the park there are not alot of good restaurants and attractions.  In nearby Nunda is the Whistling Farmer Pub.  In full disclosure, while I have not ate there but many have spoke well.

For some great Amish donuts, bread and baked goods head towards Nunda but take the side road towards Short Track.  Go thru town and up hill - the place is on the right.  Delish and cheap.

In Perry is the Silver Lake Drive-in. It has ice cream, pizza and road food including average beef on wick.  Then stay for a movie double header of new movies for $10.  

Someone covered Mt. Morris and Geneseo so I will skip.

You can spend a day in the park.  Starting from the Portage end......

The train bridge is stop 1.  The old wooden bridge was better as you could go onto the bridge.  Upper falls is nearby.

Keep going and turn tight.  This will take you to middle and upper falls.  Park at each end or in the middle and walk.  IMO the middle falls is the best.

Head up the hill and turn left.  This will take you to The Glen Iris Inn and the museum.  I believe the food quality has gone down at the Glen Iris but may be worth a stop.

Go back up the hill and take left.  Here is the Mary Jemison area.  Some buildings and statues.

Go back and turn left.  Take road to Lower Falls.  This has a long walk for the best view.  The walk has been repaired recently so no terrible.

Head back and towards Perry Entrance.  There are  many turn offs and the wolf creek area to check out.  Explore and head towards Mt. Morris to see the damn.  If just looking, the turn offs are fine.  If going to tour the damn, you need to exit and reenter between MT Morris and Nunda.

If driving at night watch for deer.

I have not done rafting or ballons but all are highly recommended

• Like (+1) 2

13 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

I guess you can get pics of trains on the new bridge, but there are few trains. Bridge is strictly off limits

I only ever made it about a quarter of the way out on the old trestle bridge.   I got freaked out by looking down and seeing the river below.    The old trestle bridge was built in the 1800s IIRC.

It's not a railroad and it it is a bit away from Letchworth, but a brand new wooden covered bridge  was built in Cowlsville. in Wyoming \County. It is located just south of Clinton Street  just past the Erie County line.It just opened a week or two ago. It crosses Cayuga Creek. That stretch had 5 covered bridges over a century ago.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Wacka said:

It's not a railroad and it it is a bit away from Letchworth, but a brand new wooden covered bridge  was built in Cowlsville. in Wyoming \County. It is located just south of Clinton Street  just past the Erie County line.It just opened a week or two ago. It crosses Cayuga Creek. That stretch had 5 covered bridges over a century ago.

There was an "Iron Bridge" over Cayuga Creek back in the day....Near Marilla I believe.  Father said they used to jump off that into a swimming hole.  Had to push away to hit the deeper water... When he was 18, stumbled and landed in the shallow part.  Tore his left elbow up to the point where doctors wanted to ampute it... My grandmother wouldn't let the doctors amputate...

3 hours ago, SoTier said:

I only ever made it about a quarter of the way out on the old trestle bridge.   I got freaked out by looking down and seeing the river below.    The old trestle bridge was built in the 1800s IIRC.

Yeah late 1800's and re-inforced with steel maybe 1900 to 1910.  Took the kids on the old bridge and got a quarter way out. Heard a train horn in distance and got off just in time.  Still people on bridge and they hugged the walkway railing with train maybe 5' away. Yikes

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

There was an "Iron Bridge" over Cayuga Creek back in the day....Near Marilla I believe.  Father said they used to jump off that into a swimming hole.  Had to push away to hit the deeper water... When he was 18, stumbled and landed in the shallow part.  Tore his left elbow up to the point where doctors wanted to ampute it... My grandmother wouldn't let the doctors amputate...

That iron bridge was on Clinton  where the creek crossed the road just before the county line.My cousin lived on the west side of the creek.  Every few years or so, someone would misjudge and die there. Cousin said they filled in the hole with rocks.The new covered bridge is within a mile or so of there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

"Old Shaky" it was supposed to be terrifying crossing it on train! 

Please stay on topic.  If you want to talk about Katherine Hepburn, then start your own damn thread.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/5/2022 at 11:02 PM, SinceThe70s said:

You are clearly a master of the obvious!

While we are on the obvious, might I suggest cutting back on food and drink and hitting the can before climbing on a hot air balloon? I would really love to try that, but it would be a real concern for me!  😱

• Haha (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Augie said:

While we are on the obvious, might I suggest cutting back on food and drink and hitting the can before climbing on a hot air balloon? I would really love to try that, but it would be a real concern for me!  😱

I booked it so now it's just up to the weather to cooperate. It'll be my first time in a hot air balloon. Wifey actually bungee jumped off one years before we met.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I booked it so now it's just up to the weather to cooperate. It'll be my first time in a hot air balloon. Wifey actually bungee jumped off one years before we met.  

I’ve never been bungee jumping, but have checked off zip-lining and skydiving. Did they drop the wifey into the tree line, then just drag her thru there? Yeah, there must be a better plan.   

Skydiving is tricky and we had to go three separate weekends and wait hours for the weather to comply. It would get windy, then cloudy, then wait behind others….then it would get late. I’m glad we stuck to it and crossed that off the list. 

Good luck on the hot air balloon! I look forward to hearing about your adventure. 

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’ve never been bungee jumping, but have checked off zip-lining and skydiving. Did they drop the wifey into the tree line, then just drag her thru there? Yeah, there must be a better plan.   

Skydiving is tricky and we had to go three separate weekends and wait hours for the weather to comply. It would get windy, then cloudy, then wait behind others….then it would get late. I’m glad we stuck to it and crossed that off the list. 

Good luck on the hot air balloon! I look forward to hearing about your adventure. 

LOL, I 've never ziplined or went skydiving. Wifey has a great sky dive story. Went with her two brothers - their poor mother! It was solo jumps and involved somehow monkey-barring (not sure how else to describe it) under the wing to get far enough from the fuselage before letting go. Of course these days spider crickets scare her.  Go figure.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.