Is Joe Brady on the staff in case Ken Dorsey flubs it?

Utah John

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

"All along" - no. but I think it has been clear since the end of the 2020 season that he was their preferred successor if Daboll landed a HC gig. I think that has kind of led some fans to the assumption that the same will occur with Brady. The reality is I think that Brady will get looks for OC next year elsewhere in the league. He was very bad at it in Carolina, but he has the profile, he has the LSU success and he will be basking in the glow of another Josh Allen season. Inevitable that teams try and hire him as OC. So for him to succeed Dorsey you would have to believe Dorsey is going to get Head Coaching looks after one season as a play caller. Certainly possible, but a longshot IMO. 

I think it was a terrible job for anyone to have. Whoever watched Darnold's tape and was like " Yeah, that was only Adam Gase's fault" is a moron. Dude is careless with the football and hasn't improved since USC

Then they fired Brady because Cam Newton (you know, the QB that they cut because he couldn't throw the ball anymore) didn't like him. 

Matt Rhule is a dead man walking. They should have just fired him last year

9 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I think it was a terrible job for anyone to have. Whoever watched Darnold's tape and was like " Yeah, that was only Adam Gase's fault" is a moron. Dude is careless with the football and hasn't improved since USC

Then they fired Brady because Cam Newton (you know, the QB that they cut because he couldn't throw the ball anymore) didn't like him. 

Matt Rhule is a dead man walking. They should have just fired him last year

But it was no better with Teddy the year before. And they had legit receivers, altho the line at times was as bad as Brady. His play calling was awful though. To think there were Bills fans who moaned at Daboll's play calling. There is a reason he didn't get a single call for an NFL OC gig 2 years after being the hottest property in a headset.

He will get another go around, he is bright and energetic and has good connections, but he needed to take a step back and reflect because he wasn't good enough as a play caller. He landed in a great spot and he will be an OC candidate again probably as early as next January. 

32 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

If McDermott hasn't fired Frazier after 5 years why would he dump Dorsey after one?

And as far as Brady goes I'm not sure I'm 100% sold on him being some sort of offensive genius or guru given his small body of work in the NFL.

I'd say the same about Mike McDaniel.  Except he's a HC, not a QB coach.

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

I'd say the same about Mike McDaniel.  Except he's a HC, not a QB coach.

That's definitely a valid point and there is going to be a lot of pressure in south beach to produce this year given the talent on hand and moving on from Flores (which some think was premature given how close the Fish were the last few years).

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Turk71 said:

His cousin Dave Shula (not his older brother Dave) was a fellow ski bum housemate of mine in Park City in '86 '87. Skied a ton and went on some Grateful Dead road trips together. Smart, funny, all around good dude. He's a year older than Mike. 

More stories please!!! 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

But it was no better with Teddy the year before. And they had legit receivers, altho the line at times was as bad as Brady. His play calling was awful though. To think there were Bills fans who moaned at Daboll's play calling. There is a reason he didn't get a single call for an NFL OC gig 2 years after being the hottest property in a headset.

He will get another go around, he is bright and energetic and has good connections, but he needed to take a step back and reflect because he wasn't good enough as a play caller. He landed in a great spot and he will be an OC candidate again probably as early as next January. 

There is a reason why Teddy is now a backup.  Teddy and Tyrod are like the same player...both super careful with the football...both low INT guys but don't push the ball down the field much and take checkdowns.

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

There is a reason why Teddy is now a backup.  Teddy and Tyrod are like the same player...both super careful with the football...both low INT guys but don't push the ball down the field much and take checkdowns.

There is. Teddy is a better passer than Tyrod though. But yea, he isn't great. The point is you could have had Tom Brady and Joe Montana rotating in with some of that playcalling. There is a reason Joe Brady was fired. He was a bad Coordinator.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

There is. Teddy is a better passer than Tyrod though. But yea, he isn't great. The point is you could have had Tom Brady and Joe Montana rotating in with some of that playcalling. There is a reason Joe Brady was fired. He was a bad Coordinator.

But he helped develop Burrow at LSU so he definitely has value...but perhaps play calling and play design isn't his bag.

On 6/5/2022 at 3:41 PM, Mr. WEO said:

When Daboll is exposed as a product of the otherworldly Josh Allen, the Bills “HC pipeline” will be capped for all the rest

Wow....you seriously think that?  I guess you weren't one of the pitchfork folks calling for Dabs head last season and the season b4 that?  Sure will be interesting if you are right!  Methinks it has more to do with JA than BD.......we shall see thats for sure.

On 6/5/2022 at 12:25 PM, NewEra said:

He’s on the team because some deem him a good offensive mind and McD thinks he can help our team.  He helped Joe Burrow transform into a superstar.  He’s a good candidate to replace Dorsey as OC if/when Dorsey is named a HC or is fired. 

And wasn’t even tasked with coordinating a run game in the process. I think he realized he needed a little more time in the incubator, personally. 

1 hour ago, transient said:

And wasn’t even tasked with coordinating a run game in the process. I think he realized he needed a little more time in the incubator, personally. 

Agreed. He was a failure in Carolina as an OC.  His QB play had a big say in that, but so did his play calling (according to a couple Carolina fans I know).  They’re glad he was fired. 

Now it’s time for him to hopefully learn and improve as a coach while adding any positives that he brings to the table. 

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

But he helped develop Burrow at LSU so he definitely has value...but perhaps play calling and play design isn't his bag.

I don't even think it is that. Not every person who is good in one place will be good everywhere. I think he found the transition to playcalling in the pros difficult after 1 super successful year doing it in college and not even any NFL position coach experience before that (he was basically a quality control guy for the Saints). 

I think he can be a good NFL OC in the future. He just jumped too far too quickly and wasn't prepared.

Edited by GunnerBill

11 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I think it's more likely that he's here to take over if Dorsey is amazing and gets a head coach job quickly.

One of many possible outcomes...mostly dependent upon 2022 results.

But like anyone in leadership (who actually understands how to lead) and/or sales should understand (HCs and GMs included), it's all about pipeline management. Whether that pipeline is internal company talent (coaches, scouting/personnel, training, marketing, and assorted staff) or roster management (fostering success and development of current and future on-field contributors), it's VITAL to develop almost every employee for personal growth and professional progress. If an organization is operating effectively, it is prepared to see its top-end contributors poached by competitors, with a deliberate in-house succession plan for nearly any position. The best performers should always be rising up the flow charts.

My 2022 take on Brady and Kromer joining the staff of a rookie playcaller? Having multiple former OCs surrounding Dorsey is less about long-term succession than it is about immediate SUCCESS. (But it also fills the longer term pipeline.)

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.