Is Joe Brady on the staff in case Ken Dorsey flubs it?

Utah John

It is called mentoring and succession planning. Every good organization does it. The organizations that don’t do it are usually headed by transient staffs and fear for their own livelihood, let alone planning for future coaches in the organization. Succession planning and mentoring are the sign of a successful and stable organization.

• Agree 1

Not sure if this article has been linked, but here is Joe Brady’s 1st interview since being hired 

An opportunity too good to pass up': Why Joe Brady couldn't say no to working with QB Josh Allen and the Bills

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/an-opportunity-too-good-to-pass-up-why-joe-brady-couldnt-say-no-to-working/article_3fbfcf20-e416-11ec-a97c-8ff5250afd04.html

Edited by YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

If any of those sous chefs hadn’t already been head chefs themselves, I’d agree that they’re just sous chefs. Shouldn’t be a problem when things are going well, but I can see the potential for too many voices and some conflict if the offense struggles. 

This is what weak/unconfident leaders think. I one had a guy tell me the reason he wouldn't hire me is because I would be a threat to his leadership.  In his case, he was probably right. It's common I find among very young people  put in a leadership position, and sometimes by older leaders not up with the current techniques/knowledge/etc.

An established confident would do well to get the absolute best, most experienced, colleagues possible. Assuming they can work well together, have similar philosophies, etc.

I think the saying is "Too many chefs spoil the broth". Taken literally this might be true. If several chefs are all getting involved cooking one pot of broth, it could suffer. Fortunately that has zero relevance to this situation, IMO.

42 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

McD is doing what good leaders do.  He’s providing the best talent around his coordinators.  McD would never allow a breach of chain of command.  Coaching decisions are with the blessing of the Pegulas and Beane, but make no mistake these are HC decisions.  Do you think he didn’t cover this stuff in the interview process.  As a leader the last 10 years you prepare for everything and keep an eye on day to day in the beginning to make sure things flow well.

Brady knows his role, and Dorsey knows he can rely on his staff to assist with generating ideas, but decisions will be made by Dorsey unless McD jumps in the game and wants to insert a specific tactic.

This is a great thing as McD keeps fortifying his coaching staff with experienced coaches.

Exactly. Mentor/grow the younger staff members, but grab all you can for yourself from proven experience.

5 minutes ago, todd said:

It is called mentoring and succession planning. Every good organization does it. The organizations that don’t do it are usually headed by transient staffs and fear for their own livelihood, let alone planning for future coaches in the organization. Succession planning and mentoring are the sign of a successful and stable organization.

Exactly.

I think the Hiring of Brady is just another instance of their organizational structure of finding or replacing individuals  with young bright minds. They seem to have a good knack from scouting personal to assistant GM of surrounding themselves with the best.

You can never have too many good coaches. 

Not only that,  Brady who will be either waiting in the wings for his next shot. ( Right  now it probably looks pretty good on your resume to be working with Josh) or be next in line as the O Coordinator if Dorsey was to get offered a head coaching job.  It also keeps some continuity with the playbook just like we have now.

I think right now if a job opens up in the Bills that the position would attract a lot of interest. 

19 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah it wasn't a great plan, point is there always seems to be teams willing to give someone a chance because they were in sneezing range of someone who's had success.

Yeah, Dorsey's fate is not in Josh's hands....more like Daboll's.

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

It's no surprise that they tried to get him to go to Jersey.  And I'm sure he listened.  It doesn't mean he was seriously considering it considering it would mean a) still being in Daboll's shadow and b) having to tie his future to Daniel Jones.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

When Daboll is exposed as a product of the otherworldly Josh Allen, the Bills “HC pipeline” will be capped for all the rest

If Dorsey does a good job with the offense, he'll get HC'ing offers.  Just because others have failed, it doesn't mean the pipeline will be capped.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, syhuang said:

Please don't get me wrong and it's not that I don't believe you since there were rumors about Dorsey might go with Daboll. However, I don't recall any creditable source or rumor about Dorsey "close to" sign with NYG. Can you please share the link to it?

I can’t remember the name but there was one reporter from NY who was on the Giants beat that said Dorsey was going to be the OC.  His name escapes me but I can look it up.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's no surprise that they tried to get him to go to Jersey.  And I'm sure he listened.  It doesn't mean he was seriously considering it considering it would mean a) still being in Daboll's shadow and b) having to tie his future to Daniel Jones.

If Dorsey does a good job with the offense, he'll get HC'ing offers.  Just because others have failed, it doesn't mean the pipeline will be capped.

A job Dorsey will be offered will be with another Daniel Jones.

41 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Yeah, Dorsey's fate is not in Josh's hands....more like Daboll's.

Nah. What happens to Daboll from the instant he left Buffalo is irrelevant to what happens to Dorsey. 

Every tree produces hits and misses. That's simply how it works.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Motor26 said:

Not really. Dorsey will call the plays. 

I’m not worried about Dorsey in the least and who calls the plays isn’t my concern. Nor am I saying play calling will be a power struggle at all. Besides, this is Josh’s offense more than anyone else’s. I’m talking about all the voices in the room during the week. There are three former (demoted) OCs serving a new OC in this league. I think some egos have the potential to be hit. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

This is what weak/unconfident leaders think. I one had a guy tell me the reason he wouldn't hire me is because I would be a threat to his leadership.  In his case, he was probably right. It's common I find among very young people  put in a leadership position, and sometimes by older leaders not up with the current techniques/knowledge/etc.

An established confident would do well to get the absolute best, most experienced, colleagues possible. Assuming they can work well together, have similar philosophies, etc.

I think the saying is "Too many chefs spoil the broth". Taken literally this might be true. If several chefs are all getting involved cooking one pot of broth, it could suffer. Fortunately that has zero relevance to this situation, IMO.

Exactly. Mentor/grow the younger staff members, but grab all you can for yourself from proven experience.

Exactly.

I agree entirely with everything you say here and that’s been my experience as well thru the years. I want people to aspire to a higher position as it brings out the best in people. 

Relevant or not, the potential for conflict is there. I don’t predict conflict will occur nor do I think any of these once OC coaches are that fragile. And like Ive said, this is Josh’s offense more than it’s anyone else’s, including Dorsey. 

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

I agree entirely with everything you say here and that’s been my experience as well thru the years. I want people to aspire to a higher position as it brings out the best in people. 

Relevant or not, the potential for conflict is there. I don’t predict conflict will occur nor do I think any of these once OC coaches are that fragile. And like Ive said, this is Josh’s offense more than it’s anyone else’s, including Dorsey. 

Very qualified people will line up to take positions with the Bills, because Josh and the surrounding talent offers them the best path to climb up the ladder and get higher level jobs in the near future. 

“Too much” coaching talent does not concern me. I find it encouraging because the people at the top are qualified to manage the situation. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

4 former OCs on staff?  This confuses me.  I thought McDermott only cared about the defense.

You’re right, I read it right here on TSW…, 

😁👍

5 hours ago, K-9 said:

Too many chefs from the looks of it on the surface. 

This is my actual concern for a 1st year OC.

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Very qualified people will line up to take positions with the Bills, because Josh and the surrounding talent offers them the best path to climb up the ladder and get higher level jobs in the near future. 

“Too much” coaching talent does not concern me. I find it encouraging because the people at the top are qualified to manage the situation.

I remember when we couldn't get good coaches to come to Buffalo. Now we have an embarrassment of riches!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.