Is Joe Brady on the staff in case Ken Dorsey flubs it?

Utah John

Ken Dorsey looks like a bright young guy who has never had the responsibility to call plays during a game.  He got the OC job at least in part because Josh Allen made it clear that's who he wanted, but that doesn't mean Dorsey really knows what he's doing.  We all saw Daboll confusing defenses with his schemes, route trees, and play calls, but DCs in the AFC will have spent hours this year figuring out how to stop Daboll's schemes.  Dorsey will need to come up with brand new twists for the Bills offense to return to its powerful state of late last year.

Joe Brady is a former OC at Carolina and was on a fast-track career progression until Carolina crashed and burned last year, with Brady taking the fall for not working miracles with Darnold at QB and no CMC at RB.  Brady is saying all the right things about working for Dorsey, but Brady's resume is actually much better than Dorsey's, except for the Allen relationship.

The Bills' early schedule this year is pretty rough.  I'm hoping as we all are that they crush that early schedule, cruise on through the rest of the year, get the top seed, etc.  But they still have to play the games.  Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that McDermott has a Dorsey replacement right there on staff, ready to go, if the Bills offense struggles through September and into October.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 8
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Dislike 3

3 minutes ago, Utah John said:

Ken Dorsey looks like a bright young guy who has never had the responsibility to call plays during a game.  He got the OC job at least in part because Josh Allen made it clear that's who he wanted, but that doesn't mean Dorsey really knows what he's doing.  We all saw Daboll confusing defenses with his schemes, route trees, and play calls, but DCs in the AFC will have spent hours this year figuring out how to stop Daboll's schemes.  Dorsey will need to come up with brand new twists for the Bills offense to return to its powerful state of late last year.

Joe Brady is a former OC at Carolina and was on a fast-track career progression until Carolina crashed and burned last year, with Brady taking the fall for not working miracles with Darnold at QB and no CMC at RB.  Brady is saying all the right things about working for Dorsey, but Brady's resume is actually much better than Dorsey's, except for the Allen relationship.

The Bills' early schedule this year is pretty rough.  I'm hoping as we all are that they crush that early schedule, cruise on through the rest of the year, get the top seed, etc.  But they still have to play the games.  Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that McDermott has a Dorsey replacement right there on staff, ready to go, if the Bills offense struggles through September and into October.

I don’t think so… Dorsey reportedly was close to signing with NYG as their OC w/ Daboll.  They likely had to pay a little more to get Dorsey to stay.  If the Bills were so unsure about him at OC that they had a backup plan, I think they let him walk.

I they signed Brady because his stock was low from getting fired in Carolina.  He probably wasn’t going to a find another OC position this season, so he took a lower position that would give him the best chance for a promotion.  I don’t think Brady will be in Buffalo for long

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3

He’s on the team because some deem him a good offensive mind and McD thinks he can help our team.  He helped Joe Burrow transform into a superstar.  He’s a good candidate to replace Dorsey as OC if/when Dorsey is named a HC or is fired. 

23 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I don’t think so… Dorsey reportedly was close to signing with NYG as their OC w/ Daboll.  They likely had to pay a little more to get Dorsey to stay.  If the Bills were so unsure about him at OC that they had a backup plan, I think they let him walk.

I they signed Brady because his stock was low from getting fired in Carolina.  He probably wasn’t going to a find another OC position this season, so he took a lower position that would give him the best chance for a promotion.  I don’t think Brady will be in Buffalo for long

So, Dorsey is looking to move up the ladder so that one day he becomes a head coach and he chooses the Giants and what's his name over Allen and the Bills? 

Bills MO is to stack quality people organizationally so that when one leaves or gets a promotion somewhere they have an in-house candidate ready to replace them.

Front office has thrived despite numerous people getting promotions and leaving due to this and coaching staff will be no different.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 6

32 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Please don't get me wrong and it's not that I don't believe you since there were rumors about Dorsey might go with Daboll. However, I don't recall any creditable source or rumor about Dorsey "close to" sign with NYG. Can you please share the link to it?

59 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Yeah he wasn't getting another NFL OC job this soon.   He could have had his pick of a lot of top college OC jobs and gotten more money.  

• Agree 2

Alabama has done this for years.  They look for coaches who are trying to rehab their reputation so they can have a really experienced and top flight coaching staff.  E.g. Hiring a 2 time NFL head coach to be their OL coach.  It's one of the benefits of being seen as a top flight organization.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, syhuang said:

Please don't get me wrong and it's not that I don't believe you since there were rumors about Dorsey might go with Daboll. However, I don't recall any creditable source or rumor about Dorsey "close to" sign with NYG. Can you please share the link to it?

https://sportsnaut.com/new-york-giants-negotiating-with-ken-dorsey-oc/

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

So, Dorsey is looking to move up the ladder so that one day he becomes a head coach and he chooses the Giants and what's his name over Allen and the Bills? 

Which is why he stayed here.  Significant more money would be a reason for him to follow Daboll to NJ.  It would be interesting to know how much the Giants offered Dorsey (if there was an offer).  If there was did the Bills match it?

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

Exactly ^^^^ 

Especially the part where we had to overpay to keep him , I think Josh Allen can make an average OC look good , 

While Daniel Jones is probably the opposite 

Edited by Putin

I agree with some of the observations others have made.  I don't think McDermott brought Brady on board specifically to be Dorsey's replacement should Dorsey fail or get hired as a head coach somewhere.  If Dorsey does fail. I would fully expect Brady is a candidate for the role of OC, likewise if Dorsey is offered a head coaching gig elsewhere.  I don't think Brady would necessarily be the only candidate should either event happen.  It's not going to happen immediately.   II think McDermott has more patience than that. 

The other problem is that Brady cut his NFL coaching teeth in a different offensive system, even though New Orleans threw the ball deep a lot like Josh Allen enjoys doings Sean Payton's offensive assistant in New Orleans.  Sean Payton used the West Coast system of play calling. which, I understand, uses a quite different language from the Erhardt - Perkins system that Josh Allen and the Bills have relied on.  Teams do switch systems from time to time when new coaches are hired, but it takes time to acclimate.  Brady is learning Erhardt - Perkins terminology now and could possibly keep it if he were elevated to the Bills OC position, but it is an awful lot to put on Brady's shoulders.  The point is that transitioning from Dorsey to Brady would be a much more difficult transition than from Daboll to Dorsey, and it would be much better to attempt it over an offseason rather than the middle of the season.  The Bills' offense would likely suffer from an in season switch.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.