Rousseau and Basham at the Von Miller Pass Rush Academy

HappyDays

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He came on nicely down the stretch last year for Miami after a slow start. His run defense was an abomination though which kept him off the field on early downs.

That may never change.    He was part of the bunch of bums that gave up nearly 600 yards rushing in a game against UNC in 2020 at Miami.   The business decisions he made in that game were quite impressive.  He retired for a year when at UCLA due to the damage caused by concussions so I wouldn't expect that to change.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Is this information straight from the dolphins forums?

Yup, this and Tua impressing someone…, 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Is this information straight from the dolphins forums?

Actually apologies to you and Gunner.

I posted that late last night and was gonna chase it with a "just kidding."

Unfortunately I fell asleep before that happened.

I honestly have no idea if Jaelen Phillips is even there.

• Haha (+1) 6

That said I'm ambivalent about all these TE University and Pass Rusher Summit and the like.

How would a Chiefs fan feel if Dawson Knox was the hero of the winning OT for the Bills last year?

I'm probably not alone about having misgivings about these things. I believe a lot of NFL front office guys aren't good with their star player sharing trade secrets with the enemy.

I'm not crazy about our prize pass rusher voluntarily improving our opponents' pass rushers.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

Here's what I've found out so far regarding attendees:

https://jaguarswire.usatoday.com/2022/06/05/josh-allen-among-several-edge-defenders-to-join-von-millers-2022-pass-rush-summit/

"This year’s group of participants included other notables like Chandler Jones, Cam Jordan, Maxx Crosby, and former Jags lineman Calais Campbell, to name a few. Some rookies attended like George Karlaftis, and some college prospects showed up as well."

There's also a group photo in the article for those who know the players by face. It looks like there were about 30 guys in the photo.

"But there were also two of the Kansas City Chiefs’ youngest pass-rushers in attendance. Pick No. 30 overall in the 2022 NFL draft, George Karlaftis, participated in the event. Former fourth-round draft pick, Joshua Kaindoh, was also among the players in attendance for the event. You can spot them both in the picture below:"

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2022/06/05/kansas-city-chiefs-george-karlaftis-joshua-kaindoh-von-miller-pass-rush-summit/

"(Jaguars Josh) Allen attended the summit with former Jaguars' defensive lineman Calais Campbell and other top pass-rushers, such as Chandler Jones, Melvin Ingram, Justin Houston, Maxx Crosby, Cam Jordan, and Jeffrey Simmons, along with rookies such as George Karlaftis and legends like Demarcus Ware."

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/jaguars-josh-allen-von-miller-pass-rush-summit-vegas

• Like (+1) 1

Never hurts to surround yourself with the best in the business, regardless of what work you do.  Good for these guys getting out and learning.  I think Groot might learn a good bit from C Campbell, very similar builds early in their career, if Groot adds weight, that may be what you have.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

So, is Von Miller the teacher?  The only teacher?  Do those present simply share technique/tricks or do they have outside coaching staff come in to do the teaching?

They’re all learning from each other. There was an article in The Athletic this morning detailing everything: Pass Rush Summit

Here’s Maxx Crosby showing Groot his signature spin move.

• Like (+1) 4

Beane has to feel pretty good that Von approached them. Not only does he get to add a future HoF guy but he adds such a huge presence in that DE room. Beane and McDermott are big on that stuff. They'll bring in a mostly average on the field vet to be the experienced guy in whichever position group he's in. That's why they brought in guys like Chris Ivory, Frank Gore, AJ Klein, Josh Norman, etc. Not gonna light it up on the field but serviceable when their number is called and their influence in the meeting rooms and on the practice field becomes just as important. 

On 6/4/2022 at 11:44 PM, Sierra Foothills said:

Apparently Jaelen Phillips has been the star of the summit so far.

Wouldn't surprise me and another reason I'm very concerned about the Dolphins with potential young stud players like this.

In regarding to our own guys though glad to see all 3 of our young DE's in attendance. Epensa obviously has the most to prove this summer though entering  year 3 and I'm still not convinced he will even be on the final roster come September.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/4/2022 at 8:51 PM, machine gun kelly said:

Guys not that weak.  With that said, im

glad he went there.  As much as I think these academies can be fluff, Knox certainly improved after the TE one last summer.

I attribute Knox's success more to that "hands coach" that he hired. When Knox strikes the big pay day, which he will, he will really appreciate that decision.

43 minutes ago, boater said:

I attribute Knox's success more to that "hands coach" that he hired. When Knox strikes the big pay day, which he will, he will really appreciate that decision.

I agree bud.  The Singletary analogy I didn’t think applied, but didn’t want to be not picky as that was more of a personalized coach for a full off season getting someone in great RB shape, working on countless drills for months on first step forward etc.  I’m sure you guys read those articles last year likening to the Jordan Palmer camp for Allen.  I know Singletary spent a couple of months down in South FL dissecting his nutrition, running style, conditioning, and it worked.  He looked transformed before the 21 season.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.