Von Miller wanted to go to the Cowboys prior to signing with Bills

Big Turk

8 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

As a native WNYer who hates heat and doesn't love "the South," I actually really enjoyed my two years in Uptown Dallas when I was 30-32. Met some awesome people from all over, experienced significant snow/cold (for Texas, of course, but a snowman on a neighbor's patio survived for like 3-4 weeks) one winter, followed by over 30 consecutive days over 100 degrees the next summer. Lots of opportunity there, even during the great recession of 2008-2010. Very metropolitan without being too congested or overpriced. 

That's an automatic non-starter for me...if I am going to deal with crazy heat in the summer I am not also dealing with that type of cold in the winter.  Only places in the country I would consider moving outside of Buffalo now after having been several other places is southern Florida for their winters, Southern California(but way too expensive), or the Southern tip of Texas near Brownsville where temps in the winter stay in the 70s.  

No way in the world I am moving somewhere that you deal with crazy heat for 4-5 months and then deal with cold temps, snow , freezing rain and cold rain for 3 months on top of it.  I'd rather just stay here and have the best summers of anywhere in the country, IMO, and deal with the winters...at least it's mostly snow and not cold rain.

21 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

That cowboys defense is not ‘dangerous’ at all.

that team is criminally overrated. 

Agree. How many years do we have to hear about them underperforming? Sooner or later people will realize that they are simply an above average team. They don't underperform. They perform exactly to their level of talent and coaching.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t know why anybody would want to go to the Cowboys. They aren’t good. They aren’t well coached. They aren’t well managed. I don’t get the hype. It’s absurd. I wish they’d fall into obscurity like a normal mediocre team like the Vikings.  

I think I hate them more than any other team in the league. 

On 6/4/2022 at 11:14 AM, Big Turk said:

Can't blame him since he is from the area but Cowboys didn't have the cap space so it never really progressed...

Glad he is a Bill now. Wonder how many "almosts" with key players teams get and miss out on that we never hear about...

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-von-miller-called-demarcus-ware-buffalo-bills-jerry-jones-free-agency-rumors-update

A lot.  It’s a profession for the players/coaches.  The more interested parties the more monetary potential.  Also, in Von’s case, growing up in that area it would probably have been a dream to play for the Cowboys.

He will do his best for the Buffalo Bills.

14 hours ago, Big Turk said:

That's an automatic non-starter for me...if I am going to deal with crazy heat in the summer I am not also dealing with that type of cold in the winter.  Only places in the country I would consider moving outside of Buffalo now after having been several other places is southern Florida for their winters, Southern California(but way too expensive), or the Southern tip of Texas near Brownsville where temps in the winter stay in the 70s.  

No way in the world I am moving somewhere that you deal with crazy heat for 4-5 months and then deal with cold temps, snow , freezing rain and cold rain for 3 months on top of it.  I'd rather just stay here and have the best summers of anywhere in the country, IMO, and deal with the winters...at least it's mostly snow and not cold rain.

I can't be okay in climates where the weather is so blandly consistent. Where there are two seasons (wet and dry) if you're lucky, or worse yet, only one wherein temperatures maybe change a little from "winter" to summer. I need the seasons of higher latitudes and/or higher altitudes. Gives life a natural rhythm, with beautiful reminders of our distance from the sun. 

On 6/4/2022 at 2:42 PM, Thurman#1 said:

Please.

As Gunner says, nothing wrong with gauging interest. But it doesn't necessarily mean anything beyond that.

Exactly.  It’s naive to think these players and their agents don’t shop the player around.  Just because he said all the right things when coming to Buffalo, do you not think if he could’ve made the same $ in the town he grew up he wouldn’t consider it.

This doesn’t mean Avon want sincere in his comments coming to Buffalo, and chasing another ring coupled with getting $120 mil. Wasn’t the right choice.  Is he moving here like Thurmon and Tasker post career, doubt it.  He also most likely is not here for the full six.  If had to guess, we have him for two to three and then both sides reassess.

It really doesn’t matter as he’s here now and we’re all in on the ring.

On 6/5/2022 at 5:22 AM, Sierra Foothills said:

It's hard to say how meaningful Miller's interest in the Cowboys was.

If Miller reached out to the Cowboys as DeMarcus Ware states, that tells me that winning a championship was not his first criteria.

As mentioned, Miller grew up in suburban Dallas and played college at Texas A&M, less than an hour from his hometown of DeSoto.

The question is "Would Miller have preferred to sign with his hometown team if they offered the same money as the Bills?"

Well, first, you're mis-stating it. He reached out to his friend DeMarcus Ware, not to the Cowboys.

And no, the fact that he did that absolutely does not mean what you say there, that a championship was his first criteria. There is a whole range of seriousness in terms of how you reach out and whether you are kicking tires, trying to get your name out there and create a buzz or showing serious interest.

The fact that he grew up in the area has absolutely zero probitive value. Zero.

Whether he'd have gone somewhere for the same money isn't "the" question, it's one of many someone might ask if he was curious. And what we know here gives not the slightest clue about how interested Miller was, with the exception that if he really was interested he probably would have called Jerry Jones rather than DeMarcus Ware.

This is a horrible headline because there's nothing to back it up. It's like looking at the sky, seeing it's grey, and with no further evidence writing a headline that we're having a blizzard.

This was most likely the football equivalent of Robert Shaw throwing chum off the back of the boat.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 6/5/2022 at 6:14 AM, Doc said:

He got basically the same deal Chandler Jones did.

Yup. Agents are supposed to say their clients got more than they expected. Makes the client think the agent is doing his job.

And year 6 of Miller's deal has a salary of $30M. That's wildly unlikely to be paid to a 39 year old Von. So it's basically as 5 year $90M deal, with a healthier guarantee than Jones got but otherwise much the same for the first three years

On 6/5/2022 at 1:47 AM, CowgirlsFan said:

Safe travels.  FYI....you won't need a jacket LOL  It will be in the upper 90's. Pack a swimsuit too should you be at a pool.

Basically a prisoner to the A/C 4-5 months out of the year.

58 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup. Agents are supposed to say their clients got more than they expected. Makes the client think the agent is doing his job.

And year 6 of Miller's deal has a salary of $30M. That's wildly unlikely to be paid to a 39 year old Von. So it's basically as 5 year $90M deal, with a healthier guarantee than Jones got but otherwise much the same for the first three years

It's more like a 3 year 52 or 53 million dollar deal as stated when in the signing thread 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Basically a prisoner to the A/C 4-5 months out of the year.

It's more like a 3 year 52 or 53 million dollar deal as stated when in the signing thread 

Yeah it's more likely either a 3-year or 4-year deal averaging $17.5M. 

22 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Why the ***** would anyone move to Brownsville?  Hate to burst your bubble, but the one time every 25 years south texas gets snow, Brownsville gets it.  Pick Houston like a normal person.

3 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Why the ***** would anyone move to Brownsville?  Hate to burst your bubble, but the one time every 25 years south texas gets snow, Brownsville gets it.  Pick Houston like a normal person.

Average highs in the winter remain in the low 70s, not 60 like Houston?

On 6/4/2022 at 8:18 PM, Norcalbillsfan said:

Overrated team with a very overrated QB. Might be a hot take for some nfl fans but I can't stand how overly hyped Dak is when I've seen him have nothing but elite o line, rbs, and wr1s but never take over a game with his skills or lead his team with his arm talent over quality opponents. But yet he's always talked up as a top 10 qb that is always a superbowl contender.

Dak is hyped because of his stats.  He picks up huge amounts of his yards when they are already to far behind to do anything meaningful.   Sure they might only lose by a TD but they were probably trailing by 3 to begin with. 

Being that ALL premier players when available to sign a contract, either reach out to teams or get contacted by teams, this is just SOP and not news.

Granted that he is from the area, but why would Von “other than for the money” want to play for a perennial under performing team, with a QB that generally chokes away opportunities in big games, Dak is a slightly better version of Cousins, they are both way over paid for their production, and frankly, everyone knows this, anyway, I’m gonna get another cup of coffee and have a little breakfast…,

Go  Bills!!!

His moms dream was for him to one day play for the Cowboys so him gauging interest in Dallas isn’t new. 

Miller has been a closet Bills fan for years he even wore a Bills cap on the sidelines of Senior Bowl. 

The fact that the Bills sweetened the deal I can’t blame them guys who have over 100 sacks and are still at the top of their profession don’t come around too often. 

Dallas is a terribly managed franchise. 

On 6/4/2022 at 11:14 AM, Big Turk said:

Can't blame him since he is from the area but Cowboys didn't have the cap space so it never really progressed...

Glad he is a Bill now. Wonder how many "almosts" with key players teams get and miss out on that we never hear about...

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-von-miller-called-demarcus-ware-buffalo-bills-jerry-jones-free-agency-rumors-update

Obviously a lot of teams were in on his services but the real shocker is that he declined to stay in the bright lights of Hollywood with the team that traded for him midseason and he won another SB with.

But at the end of the day it was obviously money and the fact he didn't fear playing in cold weather given all his years in Denver that probably swayed him to the Bills. And having a 'creature' like JA17 didn't hurt either obviously...

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.