Your Top 3 Players from the "Drought Era" you'd add to the current roster

BigDingus

3 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Mario Williams - Lined up opposite Von Miller would be fun for us and a nightmare for QB's.

Kyle Williams - Loved his attitude and he'd be great with our two DE's.

Duke Williams - We have a lack of Williams' on the team and need more.

On second thought, forget Duke and add Jason Peters - A HOF offensive Tackle would be a solid addition to this team.

Which Duke Williams, the CB or WR?  We had two A#1s!

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

So what are you basing his character flaws on? Some random assertion that he took plays off that you haven't been able to substantiate?

On Mario, you have an arguable case. On Lynch and Dareus your case is made. But Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane would absolutely love Jason Peters. There was nothing un-processy about him. The Bills just tried to bad mouth him on his way out of the door to cover their own ass.

I'm basing it on the fact that I saw him, over and over, as a Bill and then as an Eagle, leave games for plays or for quarters.  He didn't play hurt.  He was predictable that way.  Great player, in the same way Mario was a great player. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

19 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I don't hate the Pat Williams responses (and I especially don't hate the Eric Moulds responses). But how exactly would "Pat in the 3-tech...allow Ed to do what he does best?" Ed Oliver's "best" is IN the 3-tech! He's been forced to line up at 0 or 1-tech fairly often in college and in the pros, unfortunately, based on necessity. But if you're trying to boost Ed Oliver's production, specifically, adding a NT makes more sense than adding another 3T. Right?

Ya, I screwed that up, but no need to be a dick Richard

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

The WR of course, but i think he was on our drought ending team so he wouldn't count.

Actually, neither Duke Willams was on our team in 2017 (the year our drought ended). The safety left in 2016 and the WR wasn't signed until 2019. Kyle Willams, OTOH, played for us in 2017. But I think you're ok with adding him, since the OP stated from 2000-2017. 

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, chongli said:

Actually, neither Duke Willams was on our team in 2017 (the year our drought ended). The safety left in 2016 and the WR wasn't signed until 2019. Kyle Willams, OTOH, played for us in 2017. But I think you're ok with adding him, since the OP stated from 2000-2017. 

I stand corrected on Duke Williams the WR.  I feel shame.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Haha (+1) 1

Interesting thread. I am only a fan since 2016 so it forced me to read about some past Bills players I knew a little or nothing about.

Takeo Spikes for example holds a record of playing in 219 regular season games without a playoff appearence. Not the best record to hold I guess :)

Anyway, I took a time to count votes in this thread and this is what top 10 looks like:

1. Jason Peters - 26 votes

2. Fred Jackson - 21

3. Mario Williams - 20

4. Takeo Spikes - 16

5. Eric Moulds - 15

6. Marshawn Lynch - 13

7. Aaron Schobel - 12

8. Nate Clements - 10

9. Kyle Williams - 9

10. Antoine Winfield - 8

11. Ruben Brown - 8

There were couple of players whose eligibility was questioned. I guess it depends on exact question/definition. However, it is clear that Moulds and Brown would be slightly higher if more people found them eligible.

Others with 5 or more votes:

7 - Moorman, McGee

6 - Fletcher, Pat Williams

5 - Dareus, Gilmore

Sometimes it was not 100% clear how people are voting so there could be some minor deviations :)

Without going through the entire thread and I'm sure this player has been mentioned by somebody already, but I'd say T. McGee would be one of those players along with the few obvious names being mentioned.

Good KR/PT that was considered fairly dangerous and also was a pretty solid CB. So when considering that he could make an impact in more than one position like he did, he would be one of the top players on the list for me

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm basing it on the fact that I saw him, over and over, as a Bill and then as an Eagle, leave games for plays or for quarters.  He didn't play hurt.  He was predictable that way.  Great player, in the same way Mario was a great player. 

It's not a fact.

You are just running out of fodder so you chose to make something up.

He had seasons early in his 30's where he played all 16 games and played 97% of the snaps.   Dion Dawkins is a young man(entering age 28 season) and despite being very durable himself he generally plays around 95% of the offensive snaps.  

LMK when Dion plays 88% of the team offensive snaps at LT when he's age 39.  

I'm all for being critical of players/management relative to their peers.........but dogging a guy for not being tough when he's still playing LT 17 years into his career is just daft.

The Bills did have a talented LT named Jonas Jennings who fits that description.......constantly leaving the field because he wouldn't play hurt.........but I'd hope you have enough sense to not conflate the two.   Peters succeeded Jennings at LT.   In fact he once basically shamed Jonas Jennings back into a game that Jennings had limped out of.    Peters was not soft by any means.  

Dude tore the same achilles TWICE in the 2012 offseason........back when that was a much bigger deal.........and instead of his career being over he came back and was first team All Pro again.  

https://www.nfl.com/news/eagles-lt-jason-peters-ruptures-his-achilles-again-09000d5d82917fca

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Man, you guys are really worked up.   I just have opinion about the guy, and it's different from your opinion.  

I mean to be fair here, unless I may have misunderstood and correct me if I'm wrong or your meaning differed from your wording.... but it sounded like you were stating a few things as facts (a couple I believe you are incorrect about also) rather than opinion. 

Not my intention to break your balls or nothing because everyone is wrong about something, but just kinda seemed like when you referred to Peters in one of your post you said you were "basing on facts" and was pointed out to be not quite correct, then afterwards you kinda changed course as opinion. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I mean to be fair here, unless I may have misunderstood and correct me if I'm wrong or your meaning differed from your wording.... but it sounded like you were stating a few things as facts (a couple I believe you are incorrect about also) rather than opinion. 

Not my intention to break your balls or nothing because everyone is wrong about something, but just kinda seemed like when you referred to Peters in one of your post you said you were "basing on facts" and was pointed out to be not quite correct, then afterwards you kinda changed course as opinion. 

It IS a fact that as a player he left multiple games with injuries and returned later.  I saw it.   It was, as I said, predictable.   He did it a lot.   I don't remember if he did it with the Bills, but I know he did it with the Eagles.  I saw it.  

That's the basis of my opinion that he is not one of the top 3 guys that I would add to the team. 

24 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

It IS a fact that as a player he left multiple games with injuries and returned later.  I saw it.   It was, as I said, predictable.   He did it a lot.   I don't remember if he did it with the Bills, but I know he did it with the Eagles.  I saw it.  

That's the basis of my opinion that he is not one of the top 3 guys that I would add to the team. 

The Bills is what I was referring to. You're previous post you stated it was fact while he was on Bills and that's where you're incorrect. And here you now say you don't remember while with the Bills.  So that's where it was questioned I believe.

22 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.