Your Top 3 Players from the "Drought Era" you'd add to the current roster

BigDingus

Never was a Peters fan.  Super athletic, great talent, gave up a ton of sacks some years and took plays off.  I'd go with Moulds also but on the current team with Diggs and Davis there are other spots I'd rather fill.  I might take Nate Clements for his mix of coverage and run support in a zone heavy defense.  Maybe put big Pat Williams in the middle of the line.  I'm going to go out on a limb since guard is a spot we could use help and say I'd take Incognito if he played like he did the first couple of years we signed him.  The guy was a monster.  Really hoping Saffold, Elam, and hopefully Settle or Phillips nail down those different positions.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, KenMac said:

Eric Moulds

Fred Jackson

Ruben Brown

CLOSE

Moulds
Jackson

Spikes

49 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Insane to see so many people picking Freddy Jackson and Marshawn Lynch over impact players at valuable positions.

CB: Gilmore, Winfield, Clements, McGee

LB: Fletcher, Spikes

DE: Mario, Schoebel 

LT/RT: Jason Peters

WR: Moulds, Evans, TO

Good lord, pick any of those over a running back.

Did you see our running game last year?

Fred could run and catch with YAK and block. That’s why I picked him over Lynch.

• Like (+1) 1

Looking at our scheme?

DT: Pat Williams: Who isn't super drought era, but I've seen some Moulds responses. Who isn't super drought era either. Pat in the 3-Tech would allow Ed to do what he does best. I haven't seen Pat mentioned yet, lots of Kyle who is also a great option in this spot but Pat is always going to require two people. 

WR: Lee Evans:  I love Moulds, he's one of my favorite Bills of all time. That said, Moulds was like Diggs, just more physical. More of an all around WR. Evans could take the top off a defense in a special way. We really haven't seen a receiver with that specific of a skill set play here in 20 years.

DB: Antoine Winfield: We like CB's that can hit and Winfield, by my account, is probably the best open field tackler at this position since I've been following the team. He's also more of a guy that would excel in a zone setting. Not having to be a guy that has to play man all the time. 

As far as pure fit, scheme, and against what we have, if you add these three it's a SB damn near guaranteed. I think all three are severely undervalued in a historical context and fit what we need about as well as anybody. Certainly better drought era guys but the fit of these would be pretty special with this team.    

Edited by KzooMike

If we are going pure drought where bills playoffs disqualifies....

I'd go with 

Stevie Johnson

London Fletcher

Marshawn

If we are including the beginning of the drought, I'm picking

Pat Williams

Winfield

Fletcher

(3 defensive players, odd)

Edited by May Day 10

48 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Did you see our running game last year?

Fred could run and catch with YAK and block. That’s why I picked him over Lynch.

Plus the grittiness and leadership. He wouldn't be my first choice, but I would love to have Fred on this team.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JimBob2232 said:

Im going to go with:

Takeo Spikes

Bryce Paup

Jarius Byrd

Im assuming Pat Williams and Antoine Winfield arent considered drought either.

Perhaps you are confusing Paup with someone? Because he played on the Bills 1995 and 1996 playoff teams, and left after 1997.

Edited by chongli

3 hours ago, JimBob2232 said:

Gosh.  So many different directions to go.  Best positional fit based on what we have?  Most loved players?  Players you would just love to see enjoy this time? The Best players?

Im going to go with:

Takeo Spikes

Bryce Paup

Jarius Byrd

Im assuming Pat Williams and Antoine Winfield arent considered drought either.

Byrd has a great highlight reel of INTs, but I'm not sure I'd want him to replace Hyde or Poyer.

41 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Not sure if I want that drought crop infecting this roster.

There were plenty of winners on those teams that would fit right in with the process.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Insane to see so many people picking Freddy Jackson and Marshawn Lynch over impact players at valuable positions.

CB: Gilmore, Winfield, Clements, McGee

LB: Fletcher, Spikes

DE: Mario, Schoebel 

LT/RT: Jason Peters

WR: Moulds, Evans, TO

Good lord, pick any of those over a running back.

With the Bills running 41% of the time, I do think RB is still a valuable position.    

And just imagine how much a good RB would help Josh.

First, there's the matter of health.  I'd rather see a RB tote the ball than Josh.  I want Josh to have a long, healthy career in Buffalo.  Having a quality RB to hand off would help.   

Second, there's the matter of defensive scheme.  What's an opposing DC going to do if the Bills have a viable running attack?  Last year, Josh saw a lot of nickel and dime defenses.  We've seen games where throwing deep was out of the question because of high zones.  Put Freddy or Marshawn in the backfield and the defense can't sell out to stop the intermediate/long passing game anymore.  They'll need defenders closer to the LOS.  That'll mean more intermediate/deep opportunities for Josh, more TDs for Diggs.

• Like (+1) 1

I see a lot of Jason Peters in this thread.  While he’s a stud and probably a HOFer, would he make this particular team that much better?  Dawkins is playing at a very high level.

For my money I’m going with players who are no-doubt difference-makers when compared to the current guys.

Nate Clements and Mario Williams are easy choices.  For my third I’ll address my biggest concern for the season and go with Brian Moorman.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.