Bills signing Tavon Austin

YoloinOhio

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Even though he's tripled washed.....and then some at this point..........he probably has a shot at being a year-long practice squad player with the league keeping them expanded again.    Not a $6M man any longer but maybe a $200K man still.     And the Bills are no longer one of the deeper receiver groups in the NFL anymore.    It's Diggs, Davis and a bunch of slots and ST's only's.   So his competition might be an unavailability expert like Isaiah Hodgins.  

The difference right now between this WR group and others is John Brown, who was at the end of his career and Emanuel Sanders, at the end of his career.

We’ve been lucky Diggs hasn’t missed any time. Basically we’re great at WR if Diggs is healthy. They’re taking a risk on Gabe Davis being a true WR2 or maybe even more than that, but it’s time to see what he’s got.

11 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

yes he can !  ha ha

I actually have a good feeling about Austin :)

I agree. My first thought upon the Austin signing was that he would just be return competition for Shakir, and would not have much of a chance to make the 53. I was also thinking that carrying seven WRs, as we did last season, was a luxury the Bills wouldn't take. But, i think it may be more likely now, and I think Austin has a decent shot at the 53.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I agree. My first thought upon the Austin signing was that he would just be return competition for Shakir, and would not have much of a chance to make the 53. I was also thinking that carrying seven WRs, as we did last season, was a luxury the Bills wouldn't take. But, i think it may be more likely now, and I think Austin has a decent shot at the 53.

I'm in the group who believes the Bills most likely keep 7 WRs this season.  That 7th spot would then be a competition between

Stevenson and Austin.  With that said I see it around 50/50.  Hoping one or the other can shine in that position!

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/8/2022 at 9:07 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The difference right now between this WR group and others is John Brown, who was at the end of his career and Emanuel Sanders, at the end of his career.

We’ve been lucky Diggs hasn’t missed any time. Basically we’re great at WR if Diggs is healthy. They’re taking a risk on Gabe Davis being a true WR2 or maybe even more than that, but it’s time to see what he’s got.

There is a chasm between the ability of 2020 John Brown and 2021 Emmanuel Sanders versus Jake Kumerow.

Those were 45-50 yard per game receivers in those seasons.  

That projects to 750-850 yards of production in a 17 game season.  

Kumerow is a 30 year old receiver who has done nothing on offense in his career.  

Gabriel Davis, Brown and Sanders all had injury issues in 2020-2021.........which made it NECESSARY to have that 3rd boundary WR option.  They needed 3 to get the production of 2.    

Davis has been a 35 yard per game receiver in his first 2 regular seasons.   He will basically need to double that production........about 1200 yards........for the Bills to just be where they have been at the position.    He may have the talent to be that good,  but there is no safety net with Kumerow at #3.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

On 6/8/2022 at 9:07 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They’re taking a risk on Gabe Davis being a true WR2 or maybe even more than that, but it’s time to see what he’s got.

Agreed, but they have to right? It's not Bills specific, I mean any team would. You've got this guy you think can be a great #2, he's here on the roster and halfway through his contract. You have to find out.

Everything is a risk, but I think this is a easy choice to make.

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

yes he can !  ha ha

I actually have a good feeling about Austin :)

everyone was high on “Smoke” after one above average season.  Sanders was hyped here at this time last year too.  Austin might a decent WR 6

39 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

everyone was high on “Smoke” after one above average season.  Sanders was hyped here at this time last year too.  Austin might a decent WR 6

I  think he's purely here for depth and from that perspective he's a great signing.  We're due for bad  luck so if a wr or 2 get banged up I like that we have a guy like Austin there who can step in and be reliable. 

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, hemma said:

I’m looking forward to camp at SJF.  I think this guy could be a great surprise.  Stay healthy Tavon.

He showed us Old Tavon as soon as he showed up..

21 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

I  think he's purely here for depth and from that perspective he's a great signing.  We're due for bad  luck so if a wr or 2 get banged up I like that we have a guy like Austin there who can step in and be reliable. 

he gets banged up a lot.  As for reliability, he has a career fumbling problem

5 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I’m calling it now. Josh Allen will make WRs like Crowder and Austin very serviceable this year. Austin is making this 53 man roster. 

Diggs

Davis

McKenzie

Crowder

Austin

Shakir 

Kumerow 

Cut: Hodgins, Stevenson 

Crowder has been serviceable under every qb all of which have been trash compared to Josh. He has been called by many pundits the under the radar best signing of the offseason. Especially with Josh's proclivity to like to pass to the slot wr a lot. Though that may have been because we didn;t have any good check down recieving rbs which may have been solved this draft. 

Edited by dje85
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He showed us Old Tavon as soon as he showed up..

he gets banged up a lot.  As for reliability, he has a career fumbling problem

Well if he's mostly sitting his butt on the bench hopefully won't be an issue.  Unless he slips on a banana peel.  Hey if he looks bad in practice they'll cut him.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I’m calling it now. Josh Allen will make WRs like Crowder and Austin very serviceable this year. Austin is making this 53 man roster. 

Diggs

Davis

McKenzie

Crowder

Austin

Shakir 

Kumerow 

Agree with this. 

I also think we’ll keep 7 - especially when two of those spots would be key ST’s guys in Kumerow and Austin (should he win the return battle). 

Your 7, plus Knox/Howard/Gilliam and Singletary/Cook/Moss would be my guess. 

Think Duke Johnson may not make it, especially if Tavon Austin is on the active roster.  Cook makes him redundant and Austin can also fill in that role. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Hoping OBJ or Julio Jones is an option later in the season if anybody gets banged up. 

Tavon Austin and Jake Kumerow as your depth at starting wide out is no good for a team with SB aspirations.

I don’t know that OBJ would want to come on as depth outside WR3 ..  I know he’s coming off a major injury, but he did show WR2 capability last year in LA.  

We’re in a tough spot where we have an alarming lack of a true WR3 on the outside, but we may not be an ideal landing spot for a vet when we have an established WR1 & WR2 who are both in our (likely) long term roster plans. 

If someone gets banged then yes.. I certainly hope OBJ is still out there. 

I’m intrigued by the Shakir pick, but ideally we would’ve drafted a true WR3 on the outside as that rotational/developmental guy.  And not in the Hodgins/Stevenson long-shot sense. 

Maybe they see Shakir, McKenzie etc as guys who can play outside just fine in this offense.. who knows. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There is a chasm between the ability of 2020 John Brown and 2021 Emmanuel Sanders versus Jake Kumerow.

Those were 45-50 yard per game receivers in those seasons.  

That projects to 750-850 yards of production in a 17 game season.  

Kumerow is a 30 year old receiver who has done nothing on offense in his career.  

Gabriel Davis, Brown and Sanders all had injury issues in 2020-2021.........which made it NECESSARY to have that 3rd boundary WR option.  They needed 3 to get the production of 2.    

Davis has been a 35 yard per game receiver in his first 2 regular seasons.   He will basically need to double that production........about 1200 yards........for the Bills to just be where they have been at the position.    He may have the talent to be that good,  but there is no safety net with Kumerow at #3.

Agree with the Kumarow point. Bringing in OJ Howard & Drafting James Cook to me changes  the landscape of our offense in general. I personally think JA17 will see significant growth in completion %, YAC, & overall throw for more yards than in the past. Without throwing more often. I see a much more proficient offense this year. I personally would like to bring Manny Sanders back at a reduced role & salary      ( 50% less plays & salary) . Great  in the WR room as a professional & insurance from an injury to Diggs or Gabe. 

16 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Diggs

Davis

McKenzie

Crowder

Austin

Shakir 

Kumerow 

I can’t see keeping Crowder, McKenzie & Austin. If Austin is kept move McKenzie to the Giants for whatever fair compensation is. Love lil’ Dirty but too many smurfs. 

2 hours ago, Paul Costa said:

I can’t see keeping Crowder, McKenzie & Austin. If Austin is kept move McKenzie to the Giants for whatever fair compensation is. Love lil’ Dirty but too many smurfs. 

Crowder is on a 1 year deal and none of us know how he will fit in with JA.  McKenzie is on a 2 year deal and we know he does bring

a decent option.  If Austin makes the team his primary role will be PR/KR duties.

If all look good through the summer I got no problem keeping the 3 "smurfs".

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.