Bills signing Tavon Austin

YoloinOhio

24 minutes ago, mikemac2001 said:

When hyde is back there it’s 99.9% a fair catch he’s standing and catching the ball he’s fine

I feel like your stats have to be wrong considering his return against Miami in 19 and last season vs the pats in the playoffs.  😝

39 minutes ago, Logic said:

While I agree that the Bills need a viable returner and that’s what this signing appears to be…

The weird thing is that Austin hasn’t returned kicks since 2017. He only seems to be a punt returner these days. 

Signing someone to return kicks and punts makes sense to me. Signing someone who ONLY returns punts — and whose skill set is otherwise redundant with McKenzie’s — is a little strange.

McKenzie was the kick returner in both playoff games so I think he retains that role.  The punt returner is up for grabs though.

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah!  Another smurf!

It is not like he only played with scrub QBs or was outstanding on special teams.  Even at veteran minimum he seems over priced.

Earlier in career he seemed to be used as alternate RB like the ones we already signed.

There must be someone with a connection to him on staff.

I'd rather they brought back Sanders, but this looks like a pure competition between Stevenson and him for the punt return spot. They don't have any good options at CB to return kicks.  Again, i'd rather they bring back Sanders, cut Kumerow and Stevenson and let Hyde just field the punts and never take the chance of a penalty on a return.  

• Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'd rather they brought back Sanders, but this looks like a pure competition between Stevenson and him for the punt return spot. They don't have any good options at CB to return kicks.  Again, i'd rather they bring back Sanders, cut Kumerow and Stevenson and let Hyde just field the punts and never take the chance of a penalty on a return.  

All signs pointing to Sanders wanting to retire.  Signing him doesn’t seem to be an option. 

i agree, I’d rather sign a higher caliber WR than Austin. 

• Like (+1) 1

Tavon Austin, Von Miller, and OJ Howard. 3 players I thought were going to be drafted by the Bills.

Weird.

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

This signing just proves that the Bills have no legitimate return guy. I doubt Austin has much to contribute. He pretty much sucked in his prime so why would anyone expect a decent Austin now? The pick up is just ho hum for me. 

I don’t think it’s likely he’ll make the team. But yeah, he’ll compete for a return job.

Austin is nothing more than a TC body at this point. He's not being brought in to take anyone's job. Now, if he can somehow shine bright in the return game, he may end up being able to crack the roster. I highly doubt that happens though. I think it's safe to say that Diggs, Davis, Crowder, Shakir, and McKenzie are locks. That leaves Kumerow, Hodgins, Gentry, Stevenson, Austin, Pau'u, and Malik Williams all battling for what likely will be 2 spots. Last year we had 8 WR's on the roster, but one was IR'd. Kumerow has ST value and has been here for a couple of years now so he likely has a leg up on the rest already for one. We'll see how it shakes out in TC. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.