What position concerns you the most?

BillMafia716ix

7 hours ago, BearNorth said:

No Aaron Maybin love for this list?

Yeah, there's that.  I think the part of my brain that experienced the Aaron Maybin phenomenon ate itself, and doesn't allow me to remember much about it.

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Obviously the team is much better than those cluster ***** teams…. But people suggesting this is some super team with no flaws are being ridiculous. 

As mentioned, they are one big injury away on the offensive line and at WR from having some problems. 

No, son. YOU’RE being ridiculous. You live in the past way too much. Newsflash: FA began in 1993. I know you remember home grown Shane Colan who departed to the Rams. Polian getting creative with the Cap not allowing us re-sign Wil Wolford. Ever since that year, NO TEAM IS SUPER. None. Nada. Zilch.

Buffalo has fielded from top to bottom, the BEST, most talented team going today -in an era where 1 year contracts are most prevalent. Is it perfect? No. No team is. No team ever will be again. 
Crawl out of your cocoon and fly with the times, Scott. 🤦‍♂️

• Eyeroll 1

On 6/2/2022 at 5:50 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

He is not supposed to crash the line, he is the second line of defense. He is not supposed to play like Ray Lewis, he is the greater version of London Fletcher. To say your biggest worry is the captain and leading tackler on the #1 ranked defense last year means you think we don't have any real weaknesses. My biggest worry is punt returner, because two bad plays and we can lose a game we have no right losing.

He certainly isnt the biggest worry. He's adequate and a good stop gap until we can find a really solid game impacting linebacker. Don't take it word for it. PFF has him as their 24th rated linebacker and site his inconsistent play. 

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

No, son. YOU’RE being ridiculous. You live in the past way too much. Newsflash: FA began in 1993. I know you remember home grown Shane Colan who departed to the Rams. Polian getting creative with the Cap not allowing us re-sign Wil Wolford. Ever since that year, NO TEAM IS SUPER. None. Nada. Zilch.

Buffalo has fielded from top to bottom, the BEST, most talented team going today -in an era where 1 year contracts are most prevalent. Is it perfect? No. No team is. No team ever will be again. 

Brady and the Patriots looked pretty super to me for years and years. Just saying...

Edited by newcam2012

On 6/2/2022 at 5:50 PM, Buffalo Timmy said:

He is not supposed to crash the line, he is the second line of defense. He is not supposed to play like Ray Lewis, he is the greater version of London Fletcher. To say your biggest worry is the captain and leading tackler on the #1 ranked defense last year means you think we don't have any real weaknesses. My biggest worry is punt returner, because two bad plays and we can lose a game we have no right losing.

You apparently didn't watch how poorly Edmunds played last year. For long stretches of the season he was the 2nd worst player on defense.  The worst was whoever was lined up next to Oliver at DT. He was truly awful last year.  Go back and watch him exclusively.  He made 3 maybe 4 great plays all year. He made a nice INT playing trail coverage in the middle against a garbage QB, but it was still a solid play. Other than that a few nice tackles around the LOS.  People say he has range and plays the zone well. Actually he doesn't at all. Just like he has no clue in run defense he gets lost in zone coverage.  He actually is much better in man coverage. I did not see a single pass given up when he played man on the RB out of the backfield. 

4 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Just curious, what other rosters are in your top 3 or 4?  Right now I think Buffalo is #2. They have serious question marks at the two starting corner spots that could end up being two great players by year's end. Also questions at both guard spots and RT though on paper they look better than last year. They have more depth at TE and RB than last year. I like the WR group as much or more than last year.

I would rank:

1. Tampa

2. Buffalo

3. LA Chargers

4. KC

5. LA Rams

To answer the OP, the postion I have the most concern has to be CB #1 and #2. By the middle of the season if Tre is healthy he and Elam may be one of the best CB tandems in the league. But as of now you have a guy coming off an ACL and a rookie. That is a lot of unknown. 

As much as I bash Edmunds, I dont think he will play worse than he did last year. In fact in a contract year he probably will be a bit better. 

After the two corner spots my next concern is RT. Brown was not good in pass protection and there is some depth but not much. If Brown plays better they have RT solved for a decade. 

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

You apparently didn't watch how poorly Edmunds played last year. For long stretches of the season he was the 2nd worst player on defense.  The worst was whoever was lined up next to Oliver at DT. He was truly awful last year.  Go back and watch him exclusively.  He made 3 maybe 4 great plays all year. He made a nice INT playing trail coverage in the middle against a garbage QB, but it was still a solid play. Other than that a few nice tackles around the LOS.  People say he has range and plays the zone well. Actually he doesn't at all. Just like he has no clue in run defense he gets lost in zone coverage.  He actually is much better in man coverage. I did not see a single pass given up when he played man on the RB out of the backfield. 

You apparently have no idea what his job is because the dude is about to get paid by someone. The professionals think he can and does play at high level. I know you and I have had this discussion but we run a 4-2 defense because he and Milano are so good, to not understand that basic fact screams you have no idea how the Bills defense is run. Last year we did not have a dominant line, ran with only two LBs every single game yet no one ran all over us except the game he missed. 

My biggest concern for this team isn’t on offense or defense.  It’s special teams.

Reasons:

• 1st-time coordinator
  • punting sucked last year
  • punt returning sucked last year

My hope is that the Bills punt no more than 40 times this season and somebody on this roster turns into a reliable returner.  I truly believe only massive failures by the punting units can derail this train.

The 2 areas of concern for me are O-line and corner.  The O-line will have new pieces at guard(Saffold in his mid30s) and Quissenberry at multiple positions. Ford is still there and he doesn't impress anyone. At corner Elam will be a solid contributor, but it might take him a while and Tre is coming of an ACL. Is Dane Jackson ready to cover the kind of receivers we will face in the first 7 games? This is where Sean will have to piece it together. Maybe Taron Johnson gets more involved or we use more zone coverages. These are my ?s.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You apparently have no idea what his job is because the dude is about to get paid by someone. The professionals think he can and does play at high level. I know you and I have had this discussion but we run a 4-2 defense because he and Milano are so good, to not understand that basic fact screams you have no idea how the Bills defense is run. Last year we did not have a dominant line, ran with only two LBs every single game yet no one ran all over us except the game he missed. 

What professionals? We don't know that. Beane hasn't extended him yet. Though I agree someone is going to make the mistake of paying him top 3 money.

I guess we just disagree that he is good at what he is asked to do.  If you think his run support is good well I just don't know what to say. Yes he missed Colts game but he played Pats home game where defense gave up 225 rush yards. 

We don't run a 4-2 because of Edmunds and Milano. We run a 4-2 because most teams base offense is now a three WR 1 RB group with a TE that flexes out. And it works because Taron Johnson is the best nickel CB in the league and they have two great safeties.  Has nothing to do with Edmunds. When they let Edmunds walk after this year they will still play nickel more than 60% of the time next year.

Nothing would make me happier than to see Edmunds dominate.  He is still young and if he played like an elite MLB for the next five years I would be ecstatic.  

That said if it comes down to paying Poyer, Knox, or Edmunds I pay Poyer and Knox and draft a new MLB next year. 

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

What professionals? We don't know that. Beane hasn't extended him yet. Though I agree someone is going to make the mistake of paying him top 3 money.

You agree someone will make him a top 3 paid LB in the league but don't think the professionals think he is good? Can you tell me someone else who is "not good" you expect to be top 3 paid next year?

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You agree someone will make him a top 3 paid LB in the league but don't think the professionals think he is good? Can you tell me someone else who is "not good" you expect to be top 3 paid next year?

It only takes one. The same professionals that draft JaMarcus Russell or sign Albert Haynesworth and Kirk Cousins to massive contracts are the ones that will make him a top 3 offer. No GM is perfect. Beane signed Williams to a large dollar extension only yo have him moved to guard and cut a year later.  They all make mistakes.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It only takes one. The same professionals that draft JaMarcus Russell or sign Albert Haynesworth and Kirk Cousins to massive contracts are the ones that will make him a top 3 offer. No GM is perfect. Beane signed Williams to a large dollar extension only yo have him moved to guard and cut a year later.  They all make mistakes.

Daryl Williams was paid 8 million a year when the top guys get over 20 now l, he was not even top 25 in pay for tackles. Cousins is the 9th highest paid QB and plays as about 15th. The only good comparison is Haynesworth who everyone wanted but was a head case and that was 12 years ago.

21 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I don't have fears with any positions really... My fears are the uncontrollable.

Bad Refs

Injuries

Depth in general

Coaching

Things/happenings/decisions that the team does not control. 

Ready or not... here we come!

A big one I would add...weather, esp in the OP.  Think Patriots night game this past season.  Can't control it, but that was a deciding factor in the game.  This year we are at Miami in the peak of Hurricane season, also at Chicago on Christmas Eve and at Cinci the night after New Years, site of the second coldest game in NFL history and probably playing for home field in the playoffs.

Edited by BearNorth

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.