Athleticism of Bills' OL...2022 vs. 2021

eball

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Based on the shift in the type of player we’ve seen, I don’t think Ford will have to worry about fitting in this system. He’ll need to worry about finding a system that DOES fit him. 

I remember the beach chair stuff, but what was the reason for Kromer leaving last time around?  For some reason I don’t recall that. 

Head coaching change no doubt. It might even have been McD?

Maybe it was Kromer that decided to go to the rams when Rex was fired?

I wouldn’t have blamed him but IDK why he left the rams?

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

To be honest you can argue this oline is actually a downgrade on paper from last year and I think a lot of things are going to need to come together (quickly) for this oline to be considered more than a middle of the pack unit again.

Because outside of Dawkins and Morse there are big time question marks IMO. And even with Morse there's still lingering questions about his concussion history and trouble against average or better DT's at times.

Saffold is an aging vet on the decline but should still be average at worse barring injury.

But the biggest questions marks could be on the right side with Bates still not truly being a proven commodity and Brown avoiding the dreaded sophmore slump that has seemingly plagued this teams draft picks in recent years.

One thing I do know is hopefully Cody Ford is not on this final roster or it's begging for a disaster waiting to happen.

You are way, way, way underestimating Saffold. He’ll be dominant as long as he is healthy.

Dawkins had a tough time with Covid last year so hopefully, that is in the rear view mirror.

Hopefully, McD wasn’t lying when he said Brown had this little arthroscopic surgery. Hopefully it is very minor and he is already ready to go… Bbut Brown entering year two could be a major upgrade.

Bates was excellent last year. He really did unite the starting five.

And Morse has never been a problem at all.

The starting five should be much better than last year, I couldn’t understand anyone who’d think different. 
And the Backups, while I don’t like them, I don’t hate them either. Doyle could make a huge jump in year two. Ford might bond with Kromer, who knows? And Quessenberry is a question, imho… I never noted his play one way or the other. But! He came from a good team that blocked OK at least…. Maybe Boettger makes a big leap this year with Kromer here? It’d be about midseason but that’s maybe when we are going to need him… At least he is hopeful….maybe, IDK…. Depth could be an issue, we’ll see…. And that could turn out to be a huge deal. As good as Saffold is when playing, his body breaks down readily now at his age… So it is more important than ever to have a great sixth man. It might be Quessenberry I don’t know?

But let’s not make any mistakes here. Roger Saffold is here to win a Super Bowl in the twilight of his career.

I think he can do it.

And Von is too! Von greatest value might be to get that DL playing extremely hard and smart.

Uniting the line and getting each one to play their best. Look at that draft Von Miller came in, almost everyone is retired.

He’s got to be a player more valuable than what he can do on the field. He can still be a good football player but his days of amazing fans with his lightning quick play are probably all gone. We need our three young ends to really step up and I think they might just do that for Von. The same with our 3 new DTs. Shaq and Jordan Phillips are also here to win a Super Bowl. Hopefully the nine of them really come together and become greater than their nine parts. That’s what we’re banking on I think. Von is still good enough to lead our Nasty Nine. They gotta be very good to unite this defense and make it solid enough to win a Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MJS said:

I'm comfortable with the depth (once everyone gets healthy), but I think Saffold is a question mark given his age. Definately want a replacement for him soon. Ike and Ford are good depth, but you don't want them starting.

Bates, I guess, is somewhat of a question mark too, but I have a lot of confidence in him.

I think the online should be better this year, but it is a position group that will need to be added to in future seasons for sure.

Saffold’ as one year rental to try and win the SB.  Beane will find a young cheap labor draft replacement probably higher than normal with a 2nd or a 3rd.  We have lots Of time to thank about the draft next year.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, eball said:

Was listening to the "Locked on Bills" podcast this morning and the host brought up the fact that the Bills' OL going into this season is much more athletic than last year's group.

2021 -- Dawkins, Feliciano, Morse, Ford, Williams -- average RAS score of around 6.5

2022 -- Dawkins, Saffold, Morse, Bates, Brown -- average RAS score >9

For those unaware, RAS is "relative athleticism score" and all draft-eligible athletes are rated coming out of college.

What does this mean?  I think the Bills are going to be primarily a zone blocking unit this season because they have the athletes to make it work.

This particular host also said he's very comfortable with the Bills' OL depth.

Hunh. Where does he say that, about their depth?

Just listened to the whole thing and I must've missed it. Which could happen. But I didn't hear that at all.

Was it in the first part, where he goes through the top ten RAS scores for the Bills? The part after that where he goes through the bottom ten? Gotta admit, the last part where he just read through the whole list kinda put me to sleep. Did I miss it there?

This is the podcast you're talking about, right?

38 minutes ago, eball said:

Nope, it was a day earlier.

Ah, I see it.

"I'm more comfortable with the offensive line depth than most people. I like David Quessenberry as a swing tackle, I like Tommy Doyle. I like Craig Mancz, I like Cody Ford in this environment. Ike Boettger as well. I'm pretty satisfied with this group. And I think the Bills have good depth at every position, including the center spot."

Very early in the video, yeah?

He's indeed comfortable. I'm not, personally. Hope he's right.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Head coaching change no doubt. It might even have been McD?

Maybe it was Kromer that decided to go to the rams when Rex was fired?

I wouldn’t have blamed him but IDK why he left the rams?

You are way, way, way underestimating Saffold. He’ll be dominant as long as he is healthy.

Dawkins had a tough time with Covid last year so hopefully, that is in the rear view mirror.

Hopefully, McD wasn’t lying when he said Brown had this little arthroscopic surgery. Hopefully it is very minor and he is already ready to go… Bbut Brown entering year two could be a major upgrade.

Bates was excellent last year. He really did unite the starting five.

And Morse has never been a problem at all.

The starting five should be much better than last year, I couldn’t understand anyone who’d think different. 
And the Backups, while I don’t like them, I don’t hate them either. Doyle could make a huge jump in year two. Ford might bond with Kromer, who knows? And Quessenberry is a question, imho… I never noted his play one way or the other. But! He came from a good team that blocked OK at least…. Maybe Boettger makes a big leap this year with Kromer here? It’d be about midseason but that’s maybe when we are going to need him… At least he is hopeful….maybe, IDK…. Depth could be an issue, we’ll see…. And that could turn out to be a huge deal. As good as Saffold is when playing, his body breaks down readily now at his age… So it is more important than ever to have a great sixth man. It might be Quessenberry I don’t know?

My overall point is that this line pretty terrible last year until the last 6 games and into the playoffs which coincided with Dawkins finally rounding into form and Bates entering the lineup.

If they can pick up where they left off and show any semblance of that type of cohesion we should be more than fine but again there are a multitude of things of concern which I outlined and still think the Saffold signing is a bit overrated/overvalued by the fans considering how bad his play dropped off last year in TEN.

I’m hopeful from what some have stated above that the improvement in athleticism, and the addition of Kromer who is a heck of a Line Coach that we go to a zone blocking scheme.  It worked well for us in 2015 and 16.

We can do more in this blocking scheme if we have the right players and maybe the line can punch those holes open for Singletary and Cook.

Very optimistic about this O-line. Agree it has elite potential. Their athleticism combined with Allen’s athleticism is reason for genuine excitement. 

That said, I’ll somewhat stand with those who have concerns like I’ll somewhat stand with those who think Morbius wasn’t thaaaaat bad of a movie.

(1) While RAS should mean good strength as well as ability to move, I could see us still having difficulty with some gifted interior penetrators as we have in the past.

(2) If I recall correctly, the O-line was not the most loved unit last year, and we are returning 4/5.

(3) If I’m a defensive coordinator, then I would focus on attacking the right side as Bates-Brown are fairly inexperienced. 

But I can’t wait to see what they can do in space especially with screens/jet sweeps to McKenzie and the additions of Cook and Shakir. 

1 hour ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

(2) If I recall correctly, the O-line was not the most loved unit last year, and we are returning 4/5.

Correct.   

The Bills had probably the worst OL in the NFL thru the first 12 games or so of 2021.

After they fell to 7-6 and were on the outside of the playoffs looking in,   they turned Allen into a RB to negate the pass rush and keep the chains moving and traded the extra wear-and-tear on the franchise QB to get back into the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Correct.   

The Bills had probably the worst OL in the NFL thru the first 12 games or so of 2021.

After they fell to 7-6 and were on the outside of the playoffs looking in,   they turned Allen into a RB to negate the pass rush and keep the chains moving and traded the extra wear-and-tear on the franchise QB to get back into the playoffs.

The post above quote lacked details. Kromer, healthy Dawkins who greatly affected by covid early in season, Mitch Morse Morse still here. We'll see how rest of o-line progress there is optimistic things. We'll see.  Ya that's what they did with Allen as a RB. Hoping don't do it to him much this year only when it counts. ( Last minute drive and stuff). Gotta take care of Allen better.

Edited by Buffalo Bills Fan
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Buffalo Bills Fan said:

The post above quote lacked details. Kromer, healthy Dawkins who greatly affected by covid early in season, Mitch Morse Morse still here. We'll see how rest of o-line progress there is optimistic things. We'll see.  Ya that's what they did with Allen as a RB. Hoping don't do it to him much this year only when it counts. ( Last minute drive and stuff). Gotta take care of Allen better.

There are definitely reasons to hope for better.   But the thought was that the Bills had a good, deep OL going into last season.

I was a big fan of what Kromer did last time he was in Buffalo.  Liked what Bates did in his limited time at the end of the season when the Bills were using a more urgent, desperate approach offensively.  Dawkins could bounce back and be better.   Maybe Saffold defies father time and plays better than he did last season when he wasn't any better than Daryl Williams.  Perhaps Spencer Brown takes a step forward.    The depth is a big concern.   Ques and Mancz are pretty bad that's why they were vet mins.   Ford has been pathetic.  Gotta' hope Doyle steps up.    

• Agree 2

I think you can apply this to every position not named Qb and Saftey.  At Rb Duke Johnson is a better athlete than Yeldon and more productive than Brieda.  James Cook is the best athlete since Shady in 17.  Crowder, Shakir and Austin are more explosive athletes than Beasley and Sanders at this point in their careers.  Oj Howard at Te the most athletic Te in 20 years not  named Knox.  The Ol has been discussed.

The defense is the same.  The Dline is mosr debatable but still feel like it is the case.  Miller, Jones, Settle, Phillips and Lawson are all day 1 or 2 picks.   At LB Benard and Proctor are in the Milano mold.  Converted safties, smallish with range. Elam is obvious and I feel like Bedford will prove to be.  

I think its obvious what Beane and Mcdermott thought the flaws of the roster were.  Speed outside on defense.  Speed underneath to give Allen more layups, and take advantage of light boxes.  Losing Klien and knowing Smith would be suspended it makes the Bernard and Proctor pick make complete sense.  

Call me crazy, I felt and feel like Buffalo was 13 seconds away from winning the Superbowl.  They beat Cincy in Orchard Park.  Allen carries the boys home for the Lombardi vs LAR.  This team today in June is better than that team.   

Edited by Mat68

On 6/2/2022 at 1:33 PM, eball said:

Was listening to the "Locked on Bills" podcast this morning and the host brought up the fact that the Bills' OL going into this season is much more athletic than last year's group.

2021 -- Dawkins, Feliciano, Morse, Ford, Williams -- average RAS score of around 6.5

2022 -- Dawkins, Saffold, Morse, Bates, Brown -- average RAS score >9

For those unaware, RAS is "relative athleticism score" and all draft-eligible athletes are rated coming out of college.

What does this mean?  I think the Bills are going to be primarily a zone blocking unit this season because they have the athletes to make it work.

This particular host also said he's very comfortable with the Bills' OL depth.

Dawkins, Morse, Brown, were on  the O-line for the last for much of last  season. Bates started the last 3 games. 

Saffold is entering his 13th season on his 4th team. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.