Athleticism of Bills' OL...2022 vs. 2021

eball

Was listening to the "Locked on Bills" podcast this morning and the host brought up the fact that the Bills' OL going into this season is much more athletic than last year's group.

2021 -- Dawkins, Feliciano, Morse, Ford, Williams -- average RAS score of around 6.5

2022 -- Dawkins, Saffold, Morse, Bates, Brown -- average RAS score >9

For those unaware, RAS is "relative athleticism score" and all draft-eligible athletes are rated coming out of college.

What does this mean?  I think the Bills are going to be primarily a zone blocking unit this season because they have the athletes to make it work.

This particular host also said he's very comfortable with the Bills' OL depth.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, eball said:

Was listening to the "Locked on Bills" podcast this morning and the host brought up the fact that the Bills' OL going into this season is much more athletic than last year's group.

2021 -- Dawkins, Feliciano, Morse, Ford, Williams -- average RAS score of around 6.5

For those unaware, RAS is "relative athleticism score" and all draft-eligible athletes are rated coming out of college.

What does this mean?  I think the Bills are going to be primarily a zone blocking unit this season because they have the athletes to make it work.

Kromer likes OL'men that can move. That's what we got. Break out the beach chairs!!! Can't wait for TC to get here. :thumbsup:

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

Again with the beach chairs. 🤪.  No, it’s still funny. 

eball, I don’t know if you read the MTC boys rating scale of 17 out of 20 which ranked 3rd to the Saints, #2, and Chiefs #1.  Some poo pooed the rating scale, but I’m guessing those people never

listen to the MTC show.  They have been doing these post draft analyses for years.

That RAS score is high and makes sense.  The O Line is always a scapegoat for some guys.  We’ve rate high By several different metrics in the past in our WR, QB, DB, and yes LB position groups.

Weve needed to improve in rushing, TE,

DL, and look what what Beane  has been doing now for two off seasons and longer.  This is going to be a much improved rushing, TE, and DL groups.

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

How can anyone be “very comfortable” with offensive line depth for an offensive line starting group that’s questionable? 

I think you should go take it up with him.  I gave the name of the podcast.  Or you could even, like, listen to it yourself.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

I would think so...wasn't Kromer a big zone blocking guy when he was here? Either way, he was exceptionally good at coaching them up, our run game was amazing then.

3 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

“This particular host also said he's very comfortable with the Bills' OL depth.”

- Did the host happen to mention why?

Maybe because Kromer can make most guys play to their potential?

Edited by Big Turk

I do think our starting five, if healthy, have a shot at being dominant.

I certainly don’t see why not?

Dawkins is a very good LT most of the time.

Saffold might be our best OL. He is going to make our left-side special.

Morse has never been the problem. He is a solid and mobile center.

Bates was the man who solidified the line last season. Hard to Billieve he was third string.

Brown is a huge, huge man who had a great rookie season and should only get much better heading into year two.

I’d say even very dominant if they stay healthy.

My question is who is the #1 backup on the interior?

on the exterior?

and why?

Has Beane gone overboard trying to get something out of Cody Ford? Or has Kromer promised Clay would be ready? Or what?

Is Quessenberry much better than I thought?

I have no idea… but I’d feel much more comfortable had Beane addressed this in the draft. I guess, they just weren’t there but that doesn’t explain what we are going to do now….

Thinking about that draft. Elam was the main thing we got by far. 

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

“This particular host also said he's very comfortable with the Bills' OL depth.”

- Did the host happen to mention why?

He said he likes Quessenberry as a swing T, he likes Greg Mancz as a backup C, and he likes Tommy Doyle.  Probably the most questionable thing he said was that he thinks Ford will work well in this system.

• Like (+1) 1

I was just looking at the Bills 2013 and 2014 rosters and we’re so much better now on offense it’s crazy.

It’s not just Josh Allen.

We have a solid OL No Doug Legurskys here.

We have very solid weapons. No Scott Chandlers, man, he was awful yet started for years here.

It’s  really hard to build a complete offense and McBeane has done it. (Singletary and Cook will be fine!)

We had a very good defense in both ‘13 and ‘14 but ours this year might end up being better. It has a chance.

Again, no obvious weak spots. We might end up with the league’s best secondary with any luck.  I just wish we could have drafted Jordan Davis as well*…. But Beane has really done a great job of giving the city of Buffalo a legit chance at the Super Bowl this year.

I’m appreciative.

* - Davis is going to be an immediate star in Philly and he would have solved all our defensive problems in Buffalo. He would just shut-down the run. He would command a double team on nearly every play he’s out there.  Tremaine Edmunds would rarely face a blocker. Von and Ed would be free to pass rush vs. single blocking as well… You need a big play, he can collapse the line. I mean, there’s so many things he can do for a defense it’s crazy. Another Ted Washington. Just a man among boys, imho….

34 minutes ago, eball said:

He said he likes Quessenberry as a swing T, he likes Greg Mancz as a backup C, and he likes Tommy Doyle.  Probably the most questionable thing he said was that he thinks Ford will work well in this system.

Well, that doesn’t fill me with confidence but I appreciate the time you took giving me an answer…. I sure hope Quessenberry is the real deal. Or Ford finds himself in fourth year. It was Ford that was causing us some grief last year while we were struggling to field a good line for Josh. Yeah, he got hurt too… but still think he would have to play quite a bit better than ever before in a Bills uni. to replace any of our starting five….

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

How can anyone be “very comfortable” with offensive line depth for an offensive line starting group that’s questionable? 

Debbie Downer Snl GIF

ScottLaw, coming through in the clutch since 2004 :lol:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I'm comfortable with the depth (once everyone gets healthy), but I think Saffold is a question mark given his age. Definately want a replacement for him soon. Ike and Ford are good depth, but you don't want them starting.

Bates, I guess, is somewhat of a question mark too, but I have a lot of confidence in him.

I think the oline should be better this year, but it is a position group that will need to be added to in future seasons for sure.

Edited by MJS
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Based on the shift in the type of player we’ve seen, I don’t think Ford will have to worry about fitting in this system. He’ll need to worry about finding a system that DOES fit him. 

I remember the beach chair stuff, but what was the reason for Kromer leaving last time around?  For some reason I don’t recall that. 

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I remember the beach chair stuff, but what was the reason for Kromer leaving last time around?  For some reason I don’t recall that. 

I don't remember, but it looks like he left when Rex was canned.  No idea whether or not McD tried to keep him.

Edited by eball

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I would think so...wasn't Kromer a big zone blocking guy when he was here? Either way, he was exceptionally good at coaching them up, our run game was amazing then.

Maybe because Kromer can make most guys play to their potential?

Maybe.
I’m with everyone else in Billieving AAron Kromer can have a big effect in Buffalo. The guy was a hair away from becoming a HC before a meltdown…. But he is a great OL coach that should be able to be a sounding board for KD when he needs it….

I was hoping Aaron had more connections to available players in free agency but he only got one player to come here. A great one though in Roger Saffold…. I was hoping for more. I wonder what Kromer thought of Cody Ford in his draft year?

42 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

Davis is going to be an immediate star in Philly and he would have solved all our defensive problems in Buffalo. He would just shut-down the run. He would command a double team on nearly every play he’s out there.  Tremaine Edmunds would rarely face a blocker. Von and Ed would be free to pass rush vs. single blocking as well… You need a big play, he can collapse the line. I mean, there’s so many things he can do for a defense it’s crazy. Another Ted Washington. Just a man among boys, imho….

Interesting as the consensus of scouts is he plays too upright and gets pushed around in run game.  The pro comparison is closer to Jordan Philips.  Davis needs some serious physical conditioning to play more than 2 downs 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, eball said:

To be honest you can argue this oline is actually a downgrade on paper from last year and I think a lot of things are going to need to come together (quickly) for this oline to be considered more than a middle of the pack unit again.

Because outside of Dawkins and Morse there are big time question marks IMO. And even with Morse there's still lingering questions about his concussion history and trouble against average or better DT's at times.

Saffold is an aging vet on the decline but should still be average at worse barring injury.

But the biggest questions marks could be on the right side with Bates still not truly being a proven commodity and Brown avoiding the dreaded sophmore slump that has seemingly plagued this teams draft picks in recent years.

One thing I do know is hopefully Cody Ford is not on this final roster or it's begging for a disaster waiting to happen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 4

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

Based on the shift in the type of player we’ve seen, I don’t think Ford will have to worry about fitting in this system. He’ll need to worry about finding a system that DOES fit him. 

Was part of Rex's staff.  McDermott brought in Juan Castillo. 

• Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

“ Ike and Ford are good depth, but you don't want them starting.”

Then they are bad depth…. I think, both, in the past, have proven to be down grades…

Maybe Aaron can do something with this pair, IDK?  
The Bills need a backup that comes in and you don’t notice a huge difference…

Though, perhaps, I shouldn’t complain as I remember Doug went into a season with Doug Legursky penciled in starting at LG!

Can you imagine? And we didn’t storm the stadium in protest. I’d say Cody Ford is much better than Doug Legursky…..

Quessenberry is no doubt much better than Legursky as well….

We gotta get the whole team buying into a code of excellence and we should be OK.

What are you most anticipating for the 2022-23 season?  I want to see that defense gel.

I want to see the 3 new DTs look very solid.

I want to see the 3 young ends tear up the league.

I want to see Von Miller leading these guys.

I want to see that secondary take the field 100% healthy and ready to go and dominate.

Tre - Poyer - Hyde - TJ - Kaiir…..

With any luck we get to see them play together and gel and become the best secondary in the league. 
#1!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.