Ryan Fitzpatrick calls it a career

Ray Stonada

On 6/3/2022 at 1:01 PM, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Fitz is a great guy and had some exciting games, but I remember so many games where Buffalo had the ball, was driving, and we just knew he was going to throw the game ending interception.  Most of the time this was probably due to his tenacity and desire to win, but he would throw up a pass that he just didn't have the arm to complete.  It was like clockwork for a while.  He was never going to accept losing without giving it 100% and that resulted in some crushing INTs.  He was the anti-Tyrod when it came to laying it on the line and taking a risk to win a game or get the first down.

I remember thinking when Tyrod took over something like, “Sheesh, if they combined Fitz’s intelligence and tenacity with Tyrod’s athletic ability and arm talent they’d have a franchise guy.” Tyrod had the arm but he was so hesitant to consistently push it down the field. He’d hit a beautiful deep shot every other game or so but just never did it consistently enough. On the other hand, Fitz had the gunslinger mentality with more of an average arm. He always wanted to sling it but he didn’t always have the arm talent to zip it into tight windows. Right now I can picture a number of deep balls he threw that fell way short and got picked. I could never blame the guy for trying, not after watching Trent Edwards for those couple years. If you’re going down, go down swinging. 

And now here they are with Josh who is everything Fitz tried to be and what Tyrod might’ve been and more.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I remember thinking when Tyrod took over something like, “Sheesh, if they combined Fitz’s intelligence and tenacity with Tyrod’s athletic ability and arm talent they’d have a franchise guy.” Tyrod had the arm but he was so hesitant to consistently push it down the field. He’d hit a beautiful deep shot every other game or so but just never did it consistently enough. On the other hand, Fitz had the gunslinger mentality with more of an average arm. He always wanted to sling it but he didn’t always have the arm talent to zip it into tight windows. Right now I can picture a number of deep balls he threw that fell way short and got picked. I could never blame the guy for trying, not after watching Trent Edwards for those couple years. If you’re going down, go down swinging. 

And now here they are with Josh who is everything Fitz tried to be and what Tyrod might’ve been and more.

Fitz actually did a hell of a job fitting in that 15 yard seam with some zip. Sometimes this is where his INT's would live. He could move the ball down the field rather quickly on those seam throws. With Taylor, he actually had a hell of a deep ball. A lot of that was arc, sort of like Wilson. That said, he was absolutely awful in the intermediate range where Fitz excelled. He couldn't throw the 10-15 yard routes with any consistency. So it was wither deep ball, check down, or run. With Trent he did neither the intermediate or deep ball well, living on check downs as much as anybody I've seen play the position. 

Edited by KzooMike

I think somebody mentioned this but he's no doubt the most unique QB I've ever had the experience of watching. The career numbers, and furthermore the career earnings that he's put together are astounding considering where he started. If you're an alien scanning Earth and cracking open the record books to research our love of this sport then Fitz is a top-40 QB easy. Ryan Fitzpatrick. Incredible.

I support his legend status in Buffalo for his career achievements alone, but also the simple fact that he brought a lot of fun and hope during bleak times. The best part about his legend is that it's barely even begun and will explode as soon as he hits Thursday Night Football or whatever multimillion dollar TV deal he'll inevitably make. Everybody and their kids are going to know about and love Fitz in like 2 years.

On 6/2/2022 at 11:03 AM, machine gun kelly said:

Fitzy had a fruitful career for a journeyman and has made a nice

living for his family.  It would’ve been nice for him to have a swan song here, but less drama is probably best.

It would be cool if he asked Beane to do the 1 day contract thing to retire as a Bill I think Bills Mafia would dig that because Fitz will always be part of the Bills family ...

Thanks Fitz for all the memories !! 

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2022/06/ryan-fitzpatrick-shares-thoughts-on-potentially-signing-one-day-contract-with-buffalo-bills.html

Sign a 1 day deal? 

his favorite place?

Buffalo 

At the time, Fitzpatrick was still an active NFL quarterback under contract with the Washington Commanders. Being on another team did not stop Fitzpatrick from going shirtless in the freezing cold weather with his sons as Buffalo steamrolled the Patriots 47-17.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

A favorite story I read about him came from the old BBMB.  

In the 2011 season once the wheels came off there was that absolute horrendous game in Miami that year.  Lost like 45-8 or something like that.  Everybody played bad that day. 

Someone on that board stuck up for Fitz that day that was there.  This fan was at Miami at the game and waited for the Bills to come out afterwards with some other fans.  Understandably all the players were pretty upset and didn't even look or talk to the fans.  But who was the one guy that did that day?  yeah Fitz.  

While I mean the story can be just internet fodder it definitely sounds like how Fitz would act.  Maybe someone can confirm by some small chance?  

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

I have to believe something is brewing with the Bills.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, T master said:

It would be cool if he asked Beane to do the 1 day contract thing to retire as a Bill I think Bills Mafia would dig that because Fitz will always be part of the Bills family ...

Thanks Fitz for all the memories !! 

Now that would be fine with me.  WOF, HOF is laughable, but a one day signing retiring as a Bill is cool with me.  He’s a fan favorite, and is unapologetic that. Hffal was his favorite stop.  I read the article this morning too and thought the same.  Win/win feel good half time thing and let the Bills fans have a blast with it.

I see no harm, no foul on a one day signing.

Ryan Fitzpatrick has long been a fan of the Buffalo Bills. Ever since he played for the team, Fitzpatrick continually touted the club as his favorite team he played for.

Now it just so happens that his favorite quarterback in the NFL is employed by the Bills.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2022/06/06/josh-allen-ryan-fitzpatrick-favorite-quarterback

It mean it just–Josh Allen is my favorite because he makes it look effortless,” Fitzpatrick said.

7 hours ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick was Josh Allen without Josh Allen's gifts. He never gave in, he never saw a window he didn't want to try and fit a ball into and he was absolutely the leader of that offense and a guy his team mates loved and gravitated too. The point with Fitz was he was just not talented enough. But he played Quarterback to win. Give me that over the non-throwing Quarterback and Trentative Edwards or the complete non-plussed approach of JP or the corpse of Drew Beldsoe's career. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick was Josh Allen without Josh Allen's gifts. He never gave in, he never saw a window he didn't want to try and fit a ball into and he was absolutely the leader of that offense and a guy his team mates loved and gravitated too. The point with Fitz was he was just not talented enough. But he played Quarterback to win. Give me that over the non-throwing Quarterback and Trentative Edwards or the complete non-plussed approach of JP or the corpse of Drew Beldsoe's career. 

Nailed it.  You can tell Fitzy looks at Josh with admiration, awe, and a touch of envy.  Josh is the QB Fitz wanted to be but couldn’t because of his physical limitations.

• Like (+1) 1

I know this won't happen but I wouldn't mind Fitz signing with the Bills for the vet minimum. Let him compete with Barkley to be the backup. Only reason I mention this is because Fitz has never made it to the playoffs and he probably would still be a serviceable backup to Allen. It would also be nice to see Fitz finally experience what its like to make the playoffs. Again I know it won't happen but the one day contract thing would be a nice touch.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.