Ryan Fitzpatrick calls it a career

Ray Stonada

1 hour ago, Demongyz said:

I expect he will retire as a Bill.  At least I hope so. 

Well done Fitz

It honestly wouldn't even make sense for him to do this unless he truly cares about the Bills being his longest stop of all the teams he played for and the ill advised contract he was given here.

Either way never heard of a backup/journeyman doing this especially one that's played for nearly a 3rd of the teams in this league.

No way this is official, yet.

A lot can happen between now and the start of the season in terms of injuries, unplanned roster changes, and so on.

Fitz may well be getting a phone call to extend his career...unless he's straight up decided "I'm done."

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

No way this is official, yet.

A lot can happen between now and the start of the season in terms of injuries, unplanned roster changes, and so on.

Fitz may well be getting a phone call to extend his career...unless he's straight up decided "I'm done."

maybe last season's hip injury hasn't fully healed

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I've never seen a QB accomplish so much with so little natural talent.

Such a funny, likeable guy.  One of my favorite all-time Bills QBs.

When people say stuff like that about fitz it's really disingenuous 

The dude Had enough talent to be a division one starting quarterback and get drafted to the NFL...

You don't need to be a Michael Vick athlete to play quarterback 

He threw a very catchable ball with great touch and timing 

Our very own joe Ferguson wasn't physically imposing either

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Most enjoyable backup QB career I've ever seen.

A real personality, I hope he goes to the booth or studio.

Tough to call him a backup quarterback... When he started 147 out of 166 games he appeared in in the NFL 

The league couldn't keep him off the field 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Is it not strange that Freddie is the one breaking this news?

It’s honestly fitting. Two great players that weren’t the most gifted players in the world that gave it everything they had. I wouldn’t trade Allen for anybody, but Fitz made things enjoyable in an otherwise terrible era. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

One-day contract. Get it done, Beane.

Forget the one day contract.  With new 16 man PS Bills should propose him come with him wearing non-contract jersey in camp and practices and Bills will on his day off work him into Beane's staff.   He has the chops to teach players things they might realize and intelligence to become an asset to front office.  

He probably could replace Jim Overdorf in a year or two.

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

He actually would be a superb announcer. Tons of stories and experience mixed with a great knowledge of the game and he is an easy guy to listen to.

That was my first thought. I just read an article about the rise of the mid to lower-tier player as a commentator and in the media. Pat McAfee and Nate Burleson are two of the best media personalities out there and neither is an HOF player. The networks keep trying to get the big names, but a guy like Fitz with his character, sense of humor and knowledge of the game, not to mention knowledge of the inner workings of 11 franchises and all those players over the years, would be far more enjoyable to listen to

14 minutes ago, RevWarRifleman said:

I wouldn't doubt that a movie is made about him.

What should be the title of that movie?

A Harvard Man? 

A write-up by Syracuse.com that discusses this. My very favorite part was this quote “I’ve loved all of the places that I’ve played, I really have...but nothing compares to the City of Buffalo, not even close,” Fitzpatrick said last summer.

He may have been a Harvard grad, but who he is more so is one of us ... a Blue Collar, Bills Mafia guy.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.