Dion Dawkins one of only 5 NFL players with pass blocking grade over 75 each of the last 5 seasons according to PFF

Big Turk

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

There's a lot of players in the NFL who have played at a good level for a few snaps

I'm not saying Dawkins would be a bad guard.. but I don't think he has the profile of a perennial All-Pro.. perennial pro bowler would be closer

Again you're talking two or three guards in the world.. I don't think he has the profile of a Nelson or Zack Martin.. who have extremely high IQ, technique and grit ... 

I think he's slightly lesser in those three.. where he does make up for it is in his great athleticism and length 

Which is why I think he's a tackle first who could be moved to guard... coaches don't take a pro bowl potential at left tackle and move him to guard unless he can't play 

Maybe when he loses explosiveness one day he will be moved to guard and I'm sure he would be great 

I agree you always start a guy like Dion at tackle first. It is the premium position. A top 10 tackle is more valuable than a top 5 guard. So what the Bills did with him made total sense. 

But I still disagree with you over his potential at guard. His foot speed even in tight spaces inside would have made him stand out. I had both Nelson and Martin graded higher. Nelson was in a league almost of his own as a prospect. And I agree Dion isn't quite the technician that Martin is, but I think he'd have been a top 5 guard. 

19 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree you always start a guy like Dion at tackle first. It is the premium position. A top 10 tackle is more valuable than a top 5 guard. So what the Bills did with him made total sense. 

But I still disagree with you over his potential at guard. His foot speed even in tight spaces inside would have made him stand out. I had both Nelson and Martin graded higher. Nelson was in a league almost of his own as a prospect. And I agree Dion isn't quite the technician that Martin is, but I think he'd have been a top 5 guard. 

He's arguably a top 7-8 tackle and improving

So being a top five guard while awesome , isn't really more important as you agree

I've always considered perennial all pros to be top three yearly at their position 

QB , RB, CB, Tackle , guard 

If you're consistently top three , you will probably be a multi time all pro 

I don't doubt he'd be a very good guard.. just don't think he'd be a 4 time 1st team All pro... Maybe second team a couple times or a surprise first

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

He's arguably a top 7-8 tackle and improving

So being a top five guard while awesome , isn't really more important

I've always considered perennial all pros to be top three yearly at their position 

QB , RB, CB, Tackle , guard 

If you're consistently top three , you will probably be a multi time all pro

That is exactly what I said. 

As for all pro... if you are consistently a top 5 guard you will make multiple all pros.

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

That is exactly what I said. 

As for all pro... if you are consistently a top 5 guard you will make multiple all pros.

Re read the end of my post I was editing while you quoted me... 

Edited by Buffalo716

14 hours ago, DJB said:

So we like PFF again or? 

No, actually we don’t, 

Plain and simple, Dion is our franchise LT and this among other sources ranks him very high in the league.  It’s myopic to overthink it in his COVID recovery.  Look at his overall body of work.  He’s not a problem on our line.

Josh has had overall maybe except the beginning of last year been kept clean with Dion from that side.  

It’s nice that a very durable and skilled LT also is great for the Buffalo area in his community work. He’s embraced this community and will be there as long his body holds up for another 8-10 years.

On 6/2/2022 at 5:47 AM, H2o said:

My disdain for PFF has been known on this board for years.  They're idiots.  

Thank you. It's always a victory when someone actually knows which homophone to use. It gives one hope.

On the other hand... 

On 6/2/2022 at 9:12 AM, Big Turk said:

Taylor Lewan claims that some players pay $50K for more favorable grades...have not seen anything put out to refute that or other players that have said anything about it.

https://atozsports.com/nashville/taylor-lewan-makes-statement-that-completely-discredits-pro-football-focus/#:~:text=Lewan appeared in a video,their position grades look better.&text=“[PFF] is a complete,says Lewan in the video.

Do you believe Lewan's claims that players pay PFF $50K?

Are you familiar with the common practice of media outlets "picking up" stories from other media outlets and appropriating them for their own gain?

Do you consider this a "juicy" story that other outlets would pick up and run with to increase traffic to their sites?

Do you think a self-proclaimed "shyt disturber" like Mike Florio at PFT would normally latch onto this story and either prove or debunk it?

Why do you think zero established, credible media outlets have touched this story?

Don't you think that it's likely that we would have corroboration from some of the thousands of NFL players if Lewan's allegations were true?

Where did Lewan make his allegations? Was it from a serious, hard news outlet? A blogcast? An Instagram post?

Edited by Sierra Foothills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.