Goodell, Snyder asked to testify: Congress

Mr. WEO

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

"Been invited" and they'll pry be subpoenad if they don't oblige.

They do that so the witness can say that they are "testifying voluntarily" which, back in the day, actually meant something. Now it is just another opportunity for reluctant witnesses to delay, delay, delay. Old lawyer saying: if you can't win the fight, delay the fight.  The erosion of the efficacy of the subpoena power has significantly weakened the foundations of democracy.  Public reprobation against those who would evade testifying is unfortunately no longer a thing.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

23 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Thanks Weo for sharing as always. There will be teams of lawyers and lots of covering up the microphone before even answering the first question.  

State you’re name for Congress,  covered Mike, psspss, ah Roger Goodell.

Kind of like this…

They ousted the Panthers owner for less.  Snyder’s on his way out.  It’s just a slow process.  You know Goodell’s lawyers have probably been talking to Snyder for months he has to go.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Thanks Weo for sharing as always. There will be teams of lawyers and lots of covering up the microphone before even answering the first question.  

State you’re name for Congress,  covered Mike, psspss, ah Roger Goodell.

Kind of like this…

They ousted the Panthers owner for less.  Snyder’s on his way out.  It’s just a slow process.  You know Goodell’s lawyers have probably been talking to Snyder for months he has to go.

This committee owes an apology!  This committee owes an apology--apology Senator!

Goodlell's lawyers are the NFL's lawyers.

I bet at least a dozen other owners are squirming in their seats over congressional inquiry into how their team management behaves...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

This committee owes an apology!  This committee owes an apology--apology Senator!

Goodlell's lawyers are the NFL's lawyers.

I bet at least a dozen other owners are squirming in their seats over congressional inquiry into how their team management behaves...

Great Duvall line.  I thought you’d like that one Weo.  Have a good day and this is not a publication I follow so thanks bud.  As an aside, I love how different guys try an add to the board with finding these outside resources as we can’t expect the mods to find everything for the main page.

Goodell, IMO will simply get grilled what did he know, when did he find out, what did he do, and why want these accusations taken more seriously earlier in the process.  All of which will be a lot of grandstanding by Congressmen trying to make headlines, but if the league pays some big fine, it’s the owners getting hit, not Goodell.   

Goodell though has to settle up with the 31 owners.  In many ways, the kw era are like The Godfather in that the movie likes to work in the shadows and does not want these headlines.

This could force the hand of the 31 other owners to have Snyder sell the team.  It’s not as if there won’t be suitors.  The Walton family alone from Walmart is interested in the Broncos and I can’t remember Sam Walton’s sons name, but he’s clocked at $800 mil. In wealth. He would far super cede the wealthiest owners in the Seattle and Carolina teams.  

Walmart is global so if he wants a team, does he want Denver, or if an option would he want the nations capital. He’s already on record he wants to build a new stadium in Denver like Sofi. Walmart as everyone knows is global and next to Amazon is one of the largest companies globally.  Don’t you think he’s rather have the nation’s capital as his hub.  The weather could easily support a SB.  This would be a coup for the NFL.  I wouldn’t doubt there are back channel talks about this as an option.

Inagine what Walmart could do with a Sofi stadium in DC schmoozing with some of the most influential politicians and lobby groups in the US.  Now, this is just my wild speculation, but wouldn’t that be logical?  Walton wants in for the NFL.  Why not take over the DC market vs Denver.

Ok, just my ramblings on a Friday morning, but think about it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

Great Duvall line.  I thought you’d like that one Weo.  Have a good day and this is not a publication I follow so thanks bud.  As an aside, I love how different guys try an add to the board with finding these outside resources as we can’t expect the mods to find everything for the main page.

Goodell, IMO will simply get grilled what did he know, when did he find out, what did he do, and why want these accusations taken more seriously earlier in the process.  All of which will be a lot of grandstanding by Congressmen trying to make headlines, but if the league pays some big fine, it’s the owners getting hit, not Goodell.   

Goodell though has to settle up with the 31 owners.  In many ways, the kw era are like The Godfather in that the movie likes to work in the shadows and does not want these headlines.

This could force the hand of the 31 other owners to have Snyder sell the team.  It’s not as if there won’t be suitors.  The Walton family alone from Walmart is interested in the Broncos and I can’t remember Sam Walton’s sons name, but he’s clocked at $800 mil. In wealth. He would far super cede the wealthiest owners in the Seattle and Carolina teams.  

Walmart is global so if he wants a team, does he want Denver, or if an option would he want the nations capital. He’s already on record he wants to build a new stadium in Denver like Sofi. Walmart as everyone knows is global and next to Amazon is one of the largest companies globally.  Don’t you think he’s rather have the nation’s capital as his hub.  The weather could easily support a SB.  This would be a coup for the NFL.  I wouldn’t doubt there are back channel talks about this as an option.

Inagine what Walmart could do with a Sofi stadium in DC schmoozing with some of the most influential politicians and lobby groups in the US.  Now, this is just my wild speculation, but wouldn’t that be logical?  Walton wants in for the NFL.  Why not take over the DC market vs Denver.

The Washington Walmart's has a nice ring to it.

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Good stuff!

I think the other owners are squeamish about taking another's team do to dirty laundry issues.  Every team probably has some.  All of the owners certainly were made aware by Goodell of the stuff that was going on in Washington for years, but they have kept the "omerta", because the golden goose must be protected.  

If Snyder hasn't been punished yet it's only because the owners didn't want him to be.  

As for Congress, nothing will come of this.  Remember the Congressional Hearing on MLB and steroids?  Yeah.....

12 hours ago, dwight in philly said:

Speaking for myself, tired of the mixture of sports/politics/ govt.. we all know its about the money.. so be it.. 

The NFL operates as a legal monopoly so Congressional oversight is mandatory.  It is odd to think that overseeing the NFL is part of Congress’s job, but it is 

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Good stuff!

I think the other owners are squeamish about taking another's team do to dirty laundry issues.  Every team probably has some.  All of the owners certainly were made aware by Goodell of the stuff that was going on in Washington for years, but they have kept the "omerta", because the golden goose must be protected.  

If Snyder hasn't been punished yet it's only because the owners didn't want him to be.  

As for Congress, nothing will come of this.  Remember the Congressional Hearing on MLB and steroids?  Yeah.....

I agree that owners don’t want to hold each other accountable because of their own skeletons, but I think Snyder crossed the one line that’ll do him in - he stole from other owners.   How stupid was that?

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I agree that owners don’t want to hold each other accountable because of their own skeletons, but I think Snyder crossed the one line that’ll do him in - he stole from other owners.   How stupid was that?

True, it might be only the money that forces their hand.  All this other stuff didn’t seem to bother them enough to act.

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

The NFL operates as a legal monopoly so Congressional oversight is mandatory.  It is odd to think that overseeing the NFL is part of Congress’s job, but it is 

No it’s not

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.