Ooh, they look soooooooooooo cute!

\GoBillsInDallas/

11 hours ago, LewPort71 said:

This was on tonight's ABC news also.

Peeps are supposed to stay 25 yards from the Buffalo.

"I just wanted to get a cute selfie"

Selfies require their own category in the annual 'Darwin Awards'.  In many cases, they're also a good intelligence test. 🤔

• Agree 1

On 6/1/2022 at 10:02 PM, Just Jack said:

Good for them.  I've been to Yellowstone one time, got to see some bison, made sure to keep our distance, even with one of them coming towards us.  The most tragic part of our bison encounter was listening to this 40 something guy try to impress this early 20's foreign girl by telling her he was platinum level with Holiday Inn, while we were all standing on the roadside watching the bison.  

Nothing like having status at the country's cheapest hotel chain.

22 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

25 yards isn’t enough.  Bison are truly impressive animals.  Size, speed, strength, they’re one reason they make zoom lenses.  Every time this happens, Darwinism pops in my head.

And I laugh 😆 

There was a 'trained' one performing one weekend in the early 90s at a Bisons' game.  Even supposedly raised in captivity, I wouldn't trust being anywhere within their range.  Fast.  And 'phlegmy'. 🤧

I used to go to the Erie County Fair regularly and there were a pair of bison there in a corral for a few years. 

I'd stop by the agricultural building each day and pick up vegetables left behind after the contest and take a full bag to the bison.

After the first night they would recognize me and one would stamp his fore log like a horse and the other would stick out its tongue waiting for me to feed them.

They liked broccoli and leafy greens the most but would eat carrots, squash, green beans and most of the other non-acidic produce (no tomatoes) and when in mood would eat apples and pears.

Both of them would let me pet them afterwards with them looking to see anything left in the bag.

On my second trip back someone was refilling hay and water and he told me not to get too close because sometimes they had bad tempers.

The male then turned his head and stuck head over corral towards me.

I scratched it on the side of his neck and it just stuck its tongue out like a dog and moved its tail.

His response "I have never seen him act like that" and then pointed to a sign saying caution.

After he left I fed them the second load of vegetables which did not win any prizes.

Those days I was planning to go to college to be a vet. 

It did not work out but when young I took every opportunity to interact with and care for animals.

Edited by Limeaid
  • Like (+1) 2

The problem with bison in places like Yellowstone is that they are for many visitors the only species of large mammal they see (except for the enormous herds of fellow humans). Thus, they want to document the encounter so that they have something to show to their family and friends. Bison are the only species that usually does not hide from man. When I was last in Yellowstone with my son 6 or 7 years ago, there were bison galore, but we did not manage to see a single moose. However, we saw some wolves (from very far).

19 hours ago, Warcodered said:

The insolation from typical dangers because of modern technology/civilization makes people really stupid sometimes. I mean cows kill people every year and that's a species we've bred to be livestock.

My guess is that even more people are killed -- and certainly injured -- by horses, which were likely the second species that humans domesticated after the dog, sometime more than 5000 years ago, and have been used all that time as close partners to humans.  

17 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I used to go Erie County Fair regularly and there were a pair of bison there in a corral for a few years. 

I'd top by the agricultural building each day and pick up vegetables left behind after contest and take bag full to bison.

After the first night they would recognize me and one would stamp his fore log like a horse and other would stick out lounge waiting for me to feed them.

They liked broccoli and leafy greens the most but would eat carrots, squash, green beans and most of the other non-acidic produce (no tomatoes) and when in mood would eat apples and pears.

Both of them would let me bet them afterwards with them looking to see anything left in bag.

On second trip back someone was refilling hay and water and he told me not to get to close for sometimes they had bad temper.

The male then turned his head and stuck in over corral towards me.

I scratched it on side of neck and it just stuck its tug out like a dog and moved tail.

His response "I have never seen him act like that" and then pointed to sign saying caution.

After he left I fed them the second load of vegetables which did not win any prizes.

Those days I was planning to go to college to be a vet. 

It did not work out but when young I took every opportunity to interact with and care for animals.

Raising domestic bison for meat  (and hides, I suppose) used to be popular.  There was a big bison "ranch" out by Salamanca/Ellicottville in Catt County, and bison meat could be found in supermarkets.  I visited with my stepmother.  They used railroad ties as fence posts and industrial sized metal gates.  I think they didn't herd them much but called them in with food.   People never got into the pens with them (like they sometimes do with cows) but moved and/or separated them using chutes.  

On 6/30/2022 at 12:31 PM, Jauronimo said:

Nothing like having status at the country's cheapest hotel chain.

On 6/30/2022 at 12:48 PM, billsfanmiamioh said:

I’d say the Wyndham and Choice groups are actually lower on the totem pole than Holiday Inn / IHG is…😬

This is how I rank them...

Marriot/Hilton

IHG

Choice

Best Western

Wyndham

Red Roof

I typically stay at IHG brands, since I got their CC, but if the price is right, I'll do Marriot/Hilton brands.  Wyndham is my "there's nothing in the area" brand.  Red Roof I used to like, but their quality has gone down a lot, so I don't even bother.  

Edited by Just Jack

On 7/1/2022 at 8:51 AM, SoTier said:

My guess is that even more people are killed -- and certainly injured -- by horses, which were likely the second species that humans domesticated after the dog, sometime more than 5000 years ago, and have been used all that time as close partners to humans.  

Raising domestic bison for meat  (and hides, I suppose) used to be popular.  There was a big bison "ranch" out by Salamanca/Ellicottville in Catt County, and bison meat could be found in supermarkets.  I visited with my stepmother.  They used railroad ties as fence posts and industrial sized metal gates.  I think they didn't herd them much but called them in with food.   People never got into the pens with them (like they sometimes do with cows) but moved and/or separated them using chutes.  

The horse is pretty late.  Barely cracks into 1st 15 animals domesticated by humans.  

Goals #2:

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/animals-who-have-been-domesticated.html

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.