Allen tied for 5th lowest checkdown rate in NFL

Big Turk

• Big Turk changed the title to Allen tied for 5th lowest checkdown rate in NFL
1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Allen doesn't take that many hard hits...he usually gets out of bounds or avoids hits well

I rewatched all the games. That isn't really true. He gets hit plenty. In fact he is the one initiating contact more often than not as he fights for yards. He rarely goes out of bounds willingly though he has gotten better at that and at sliding.

That said most QB injuries happen in the pocket anyways. Hands get hurt glancing off helmets or legs get hurt when hit in the pocket. 

I'm fine with running Josh and fine with when he decides to scramble to pass or to run. Look at that first TD pass to Knox in the playoff game. He avoided 3 guys and still made a throw.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Only 4.6% of his throws are checkdown, tied with Mayfield as the lowest in the NFL...nice disparity between all the Captain Checkdowns we have had over the years.

Surprised Tua isn't in the highest...he actually is second lowest.

Also hilarious Carr is in the highest category because Patriots doubled his checkdown repeatedly in their last game they played and Carr didn't know what to do 😂

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/pff-bills-qb-josh-allen-144520453.html

You mean JA is not Captain Checkdown 2.0? :D seriously good find. I would say with having more speed on the field this year that we have more designed checkdown options?

They started incorporating checkdowns to Singletary at the end of the season and it seemed to really improve the offense. (Although these were 5-10 yard “check downs” so I’m not sure if they count for this stat).

Edited by DapperCam
  • Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Allen doesn't take that many hard hits...he usually gets out of bounds or avoids hits well

Unfortunately, all it takes is one bad hit and Allen could be out for multiple weeks or the season.  He's a big, strong kid, but if he gets hit right on the knee or in the head, he could get seriously injured.  Let's hope the addition of Cook will help with screens and dump-offs and that the addition of Kromer will improve the OL play and run game so that Allen doesn't have to run as much as he has in the past.

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I rewatched all the games. That isn't really true. He gets hit plenty. In fact he is the one initiating contact more often than not as he fights for yards. He rarely goes out of bounds willingly though he has gotten better at that and at sliding.

That said most QB injuries happen in the pocket anyways. Hands get hurt glancing off helmets or legs get hurt when hit in the pocket. 

I'm fine with running Josh and fine with when he decides to scramble to pass or to run. Look at that first TD pass to Knox in the playoff game. He avoided 3 guys and still made a throw.

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I am with Turk on this one Ethan and I think your missing the key word... "Hard" Hits. Sure Josh gets hit a lot but there are those that know how to prepare/take hits and Josh is one of those people. 

7 hours ago, mikemac2001 said:

It’s gonna go up this year defenses are going to allow it like they did last year but we didn’t have the backs to hurt them.

Time to Cook

Lol, yea letting Josh  Cook has a different meaning now.  And I think he will feeding the Bills plenty of Feasts this year.  Think maybe they will need to add some Off season work next year to allow the guys to drop all the weight they will gain.  

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

It is the things that we love about Josh Allen that sometimes end up being a weakness to me Josh Allen would have checked down targets all day long because people would be so terrified of his arm but Josh is looking to score

You're right, but he did take them in the playoffs last year. 

Especially against the pats.

32 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Unfortunately, all it takes is one bad hit and Allen could be out for multiple weeks or the season.  He's a big, strong kid, but if he gets hit right on the knee or in the head, he could get seriously injured.  Let's hope the addition of Cook will help with screens and dump-offs and that the addition of Kromer will improve the OL play and run game so that Allen doesn't have to run as much as he has in the past.

Yes any injury to Allen could be devastating to the Bills season.  Really can't play timid and afraid of getting injured.  Seems like you would get more knicked up playing timidly.  What is a bonus to having a QB thats as talented and as fun to watch as Josh is, is the fact that you best believe the nfl refs will be protecting Josh from some extra hits due to his being a top player of the NFL.  Plus I think he has lots of respect from players across the league they will compete but don't think the cheap shots occur to the higher profile players as much as when they are trying to establish themselves.  Josh got his share of rough hits and possibly a little extra when he hadn't yet proven himself.  Now I think he has the respect of players across the league, like Brady has and all the past greats did as well. 

Opponents want to compete with the best otherwise the game would lose alot of its appeal for any competitive athlete.  And they can't do that if they hurt the top players.   

9 hours ago, Logic said:

I always think back to one particular play — I wish I could remember what game it was — where Allen has forever in the pocket, so he looks, looks, looks downfield, and nothing is open, so he finally checks it down to Singletary…but the WAY he checks it down. He throws the ball incredibly hard and puts his whole body into it. His body language just screams “annoyed”. Like he seemed so angry that he had to check it down.

If I can find the play, I’ll post it here.

Might be a pass to Motor in the games against pats, I could be wrong. 

2 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Yes any injury to Allen could be devastating to the Bills season.  Really can't play timid and afraid of getting injured.  Seems like you would get more knicked up playing timidly.  What is a bonus to having a QB thats as talented and as fun to watch as Josh is, is the fact that you best believe the nfl refs will be protecting Josh from some extra hits due to his being a top player of the NFL.  Plus I think he has lots of respect from players across the league they will compete but don't think the cheap shots occur to the higher profile players as much as when they are trying to establish themselves.  Josh got his share of rough hits and possibly a little extra when he hadn't yet proven himself.  Now I think he has the respect of players across the league, like Brady has and all the past greats did as well. 

Opponents want to compete with the best otherwise the game would lose alot of its appeal for any competitive athlete.  And they can't do that if they hurt the top players.   

If you have a strong running game and backs that can catch the ball out of the backfield effectively, using those options in lieu of a QB run is not playing timid.  There's no doubt that Allen's running is a great asset to the team, but it is smart to limit his runs to protect against injury.  McDermott said this very thing a couple of weeks ago.  That's why the signed Duke Johnson and drafted Cook, plus hired a new OL coach.

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Only 4.6% of his throws are checkdown, tied with Mayfield as the lowest in the NFL...nice disparity between all the Captain Checkdowns we have had over the years.

Surprised Tua isn't in the highest...he actually is second lowest.

Also hilarious Carr is in the highest category because Patriots doubled his checkdown repeatedly in their last game they played and Carr didn't know what to do 😂

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/pff-bills-qb-josh-allen-144520453.html

10 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Not surprising as JA is always looking to get downfield.  It also seems that there were not a ton of designed checkdown options.

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Yes...I think honestly because Allen's checkdown option often times is to use his legs and I think it was designed like that...all routes are deeper meaning that defenders have to drop deeper and Allen has more room to roam.

I think the addition of Cook changes that a little. He is a threat to take screens and swings to the house.

https://www.nfl.com/news/next-gen-stats-top-10-nfl-deep-passers-of-2021-three-qbs-playing-for-new-teams-i

There's another little statistical nugget for you. So you say Josh can't throw accurate deep balls?

According to these stats it looks like he's going Balls Deep to me! 😂😂

10 hours ago, Logic said:

I always think back to one particular play — I wish I could remember what game it was — where Allen has forever in the pocket, so he looks, looks, looks downfield, and nothing is open, so he finally checks it down to Singletary…but the WAY he checks it down. He throws the ball incredibly hard and puts his whole body into it. His body language just screams “annoyed”. Like he seemed so angry that he had to check it down.

If I can find the play, I’ll post it here.

I don't think this is the play you're talking about but it was funny to me.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I don't think this is the play you're talking about but it was funny to me.

That IS the one actually!

I described the play poorly. But Josh’s body language on that throw is funny. That Pierre fella that Tweeted has it right. Josh no likey the checkdown. “Favre says always go for the touchdown, coach.”

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, mikemac2001 said:

It’s gonna go up this year defenses are going to allow it like they did last year but we didn’t have the backs to hurt them.

Time to Cook

One stat I would like to see increase. When he played take what the D gives me, he was literally unstoppable. Which---in turn--- will open up BETTER deep ball opportunities lol 

I try not to wish summers away but F it, bring on Sept!!!

• Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, DapperCam said:

They started incorporating checkdowns to Singletary at the end of the season and it seemed to really improve the offense. (Although these were 5-10 yard “check downs” so I’m not sure if they count for this stat).

Ding. This thread attempts to brag on JA for not doing so, but it became a liability. Part of what made the offense impossible to stop late in the year was Allen happily taking the 5-8 yards on check downs.  We need that from Josh long term. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, DapperCam said:

Just about to say the same thing. Once JA started to use Singletary more on short throws later in the season the offense really started humming.

I am psyched to see how they use the backs this season, especially Cook. That could really cause headaches for defensive coordinators.

• Like (+1) 1

Somehow Tua is going to be able to do this because Tua is the next Josh Allen...

Rank

Josh Allen

Buffalo Bills · Age 26

Deep attempts: 28-of-68, 954 yards, 5:2 TD-to-INT ratio, 100.7 passer rating

Comp: 41.2%

xComp: 33.4%

CPOE: +7.8%

PASSING SCORE (on deep attempts): 99

It wasn't surprising when reviewing exactly how Allen made his deep-passing hay in 2021. Known for his mobility and cannon arm, Allen stuck to his strengths, throwing four deep touchdown passes from outside the tackle box, tying with Justin Herbert and Kyler Murray for the NFL lead in that category. Allen's mobility helped him post the second-highest evade rate on deep passes (80%), and his percentage of deep passes attempted on the run was the third-highest among all qualifying quarterbacks (23.5%). This all fits with Allen’s reputation as a big-bodied quarterback who uses his legs to extend the play and lets it fly to great success.

In fact, his play in those scenarios played a big role in powering him to the top of this list. He completed 52.2 percent of deep passes on extended dropbacks (four or more seconds before releasing a pass) for a league-best 427 yards, a 5:1 TD-INT ratio and a 119.1 passer rating. He completed 22.2 percent more of such attempts than expected, and owned the highest passer rating of quarterbacks with 10 or more such attempts. No one was close to Allen's class on extended dropbacks when passing deep: He led the NFL in pass expected points added on such throws, nearly 10 pass EPA better than the next-closest quarterback, Patrick Mahomes. No wonder the Divisional Round game between the Bills and Chiefs was such a thriller.

After battling accuracy and consistency struggles early in his career, Allen's blossomed into a big-play machine who has refined the raw skills that initially drew the Bills to draft him seventh overall in 2018.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.