Look at how many solid players we drafted in 2018 besides JA

BillsFan619

28 minutes ago, Mynamemike said:

Man I remember being so hype for Ragland and Washington.  Also remember Cardale Jones being our QBof  the future with some proper Rex Ryan development.  Ah the good old days.

My brain actually convinced itself that many of these over drafted jags had potential and were going to help this team immensely.

Seeing what actually talented players being developed now looks like, obviously the brain was locked into self preservation mode for a couple decades and thus allowed my fandom to survive this team’s darkest hours.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

10 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

Obviously JA all the way.

But, look at everybody else we drafted in 2018. Because the consistent focus of that draft is JA, I forgot that we drafted some of the following solid players listed below in that year:

-Tremaine Edmunds (still solid even if he gets maligned on here at times)

-Harrison Phillips (on the Vikings now)

-Taron Johnson (most defensive stops for a CB since 2020)

-Siran Neal

-Wyatt Teller (traded but solid)

Man, what a solid draft for the Bills.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/pff-little-shock-bills-2018-115528143.html

Thank you Brandon Beane  Shawn McD & company !! 

Edited by T master
  • Agree 2

FWIW, Sirius had a segment relooking at 2018 draft picks last week - I don't even remember what show it was on (busy work week w Sirius on in the background), but both commentators gave the Bills an A / A+ own this draft.

Obvi Josh is a home run and a half, but literally everyone on that list is still in the league and on a second contract.  Shame the Bills didn't hold on Teller, not EVERY decision can be the right one (despite what some posters on TBD think), but they players they picked were the right ones!

On the grades, one was an unequivocal A+, one was an A for not still having Teller on the roster.

Bottom line, this was what an NFL draft should look like!  A++ from me! :beer:

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

3 of the 6 guys mentioned were not felt to be solid enough by the Bills to keep 

50%?????  I will bet my house that ANY GM would absolutely LOVE to hit 50%.  Just love it!!!

15 hours ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Kind of an odd thread considering Phillips and Teller aren't on the Bills anymore but they're all good contributors.

I'll counter by saying the scouts and GM did their job and identified NFL talent in many rounds.

That is the point of the draft.

Teller and Phillips aren't on the team but both are very solid NFL players.

Buffalo goofed on Teller. I still have dreams of Dawkins, Bates, Humphrey, Teller, Brown.....

Now that would be a top 5 OL (teasing the other thread)

At worst Phillips is a good rotational DT, and has flashed as a starter.

When a team is good and has to pay good players, they lose some.

Look at the Pats. For 20 years they would let a guy go a year early and always seemed to back fill through another good draft or mid level FA signings. Unless it is at WR! 🤣

Edited by RocCityRoller
  • Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, juno999 said:

2018 was a great draft.  If Harrison Phillips stayed healthy, it probably would have been a phenomenal draft.  

2017 was a really good draft too.  3 starters -White, Dawkins, and Milano.  The other picks are still in the league.  Jones (Jaguars), Peterman (Bears) and Vallego (Cards).  McD did well for a guy walking into a bleeping mess.

Speaking of messes, here's the 2016 draft:

RoundPickPlayerPositionCollegeNotes

1 19 Shaq Lawson DE Clemson

2 41 Reggie Ragland LB Alabama Pick from CHI

3 80 Adolphus Washington DE Ohio State

4 139 Cardale Jones QB Ohio StCompensatory

5 156 Jonathan Williams RB Arkansas

6 192 Kolby Listenbee WR TCU

6 218 Kevon Seymour

3 starters right off the bus.

2 hours ago, Pags24 said:

2018 draft is arguably the greatest draft in our team history

Arguably yes, greatest not even close

1985 Bills drafted Bruce Smith and Andre Reed.  Two HOF players in the same draft.  Bruce is in the conversation for top 2 defensive lineman of all time.  

Bills also drafted Derrick Burroughs, Chris Burkett, and Frank Reich who were all solid players.   Also they drafted Dale Hellesstrae who did little for the BiIls but would go on to have a 15 year career mostly as a long snapper with the Cowboys and earned 3 SB rings.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

1985 Bills drafted Bruce Smith and Andre Reed.  Two HOF players in the same draft.  Bruce is in the conversation for top 2 defensive lineman of all time.  

Bills also drafted Derrick Burroughs, Chris Burkett, and Frank Reich who were all solid players.   Also they drafted Dale Hellesstrae who did little for the BiIls but would go on to have a 15 year career mostly as a long snapper with the Cowboys and earned 3 SB rings.

What if Josh Allen & Wyatt Teller make the HOF?

9 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

edmunds was another number one pick, the same draft that we took a franchise qb, so name a draft where a franchise qb is taken in the top ten (required two trades to get there) and the same team makes another number pick (mid-round) and does not give up draft capital in next years draft, this may have been the top trade and draft in team history, at least this century...

1983 Bills drafted Kelly and Talley is one draft that comes to mind

1 minute ago, Rico said:

What if Josh Allen & Wyatt Teller make the HOF?

If Allen makes the HOF and wins a SB for the Bills it will go down as greatest draft class of all time.  Bruce Smith is greatest player in Bills history.  If Allen wins multiple SBs it won't even matter if he doesn't crack the top 10 in QB stats.  He will be remembered as the greatest Bill of all time.  

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

edmunds was another number one pick, the same draft that we took a franchise qb, so name a draft where a franchise qb is taken in the top ten (required two trades to get there) and the same team makes another number pick (mid-round) and does not give up draft capital in next years draft, this may have been the top trade and draft in team history, at least this century...

This is a fun exercise to look up historical drafts.  Marino did not require a trade up and the Dolphins drafted Mark Clayton that same year(and Reggie Roby in between).

Hell in 1979 the 49ers take Montana in the third round and Dwight Clark in the 10th

11 hours ago, First Round Bust said:

Not quite the same, but we drafted Kelly in the first round, 2nd of 2 picks(Tony Hunter), also got Talley in the 2nd round. Not too shabby there.  The pick we used for Kelly was acquired in a trade with Cleveland for Cousineau. So we didn't give up any capital.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

1985 came right to mind for me too. Incredible draft. I always wonder what would have happened if Derrick Burroughs did not get injured and have to retire in Houston.

Nate Odomes and Derrick Burroughs would have been a nice 1-2 CB combo for the Super Bowl runs.

Attitude with Chris Burkett. Burkett (pick 46) and Reed (pick 86) were drafted to be weapons for Kelly and eventually replace Jerry Butler, who was an excellent WR, but was starting to age a bit (28 in 1985). Burkett scoffed at his use and playing time/ targets in Buffalo if I recall correctly, and ended up being traded to the Jets where his career crashed and burned. Burkett was becoming another very good weapon and the K Gun with Reed/ Lofton and Burkett would have been even more dangerous.

A lot of what iffs in that draft on top of 2 HOF guys who earned Canton in Bills uniforms.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

1985 came right to mind for me too. Incredible draft. I always wonder what would have happened if Derrick Burroughs did not get injured and have to retire in Houston.

Nate Odomes and Derrick Burroughs would have been a nice 1-2 CB combo for the Super Bowl runs.

Attitude with Chris Burkett. Burkett (pick 46) and Reed (pick 86) were drafted to be weapons for Kelly and eventually replace Jerry Butler, who was an excellent WR, but was starting to age a bit (28 in 1985). Burkett scoffed at his use and playing time/ targets in Buffalo if I recall correctly, and ended up being traded to the Jets where his career crashed and burned. Burkett was becoming another very good weapon and the K Gun with Reed/ Lofton and Burkett would have been even more dangerous.

A lot of what iffs in that draft on top of 2 HOF guys who earned Canton in Bills uniforms.

I did not recall any attitude issues with Burkett but I was 15 when he was drafted and 19 when he was released. I just looked it up. He lost his starting spot to Flip Johnson in 1989 and he left practice. He was cut the next day. He was not traded to the Jets. According to this article below he was team MVP for the Jets.  He would have a 9 year career (14.9 YPC which is dam impressive) and at the time of this article in 2020 was CEO of Big Bothers Big Sisters of Mississippi.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/news/where-are-they-now-chris-burkett

• Like (+1) 2

On 5/31/2022 at 9:09 AM, First Round Bust said:

They gave up a lot to make all those moves, Specifically, Patrick Maholmes.  The GM didn’t magically get 2 first round picks.  They had 2 picks in the first bc of the trade down the year before.  They gave up a starting LT, to move up a few spots in the first, pre-draft, and packaged a lot of picks to get where they wanted to go from there. The key part was the trade down the year before, which was not Beane.  Had they stayed put and drafted Maholmes, they could have used all those picks to build a better team around him, but nobody wants to face that fact.

• Eyeroll 1

41 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

They gave up a lot to make all those moves, Specifically, Patrick Maholmes.  The GM didn’t magically get 2 first round picks.  They had 2 picks in the first bc of the trade down the year before.  They gave up a starting LT, to move up a few spots in the first, pre-draft, and packaged a lot of picks to get where they wanted to go from there. The key part was the trade down the year before, which was not Beane.  Had they stayed put and drafted Maholmes, they could have used all those picks to build a better team around him, but nobody wants to face that fact.

true, Mahomes went 10th, so one third of the league passed on him to begin with and the opportunity to get him was clearly there, would Beane have made Mahomes that pick at number ten ?  

On 5/31/2022 at 11:33 AM, T master said:

Thank you Brandon Beane  Shawn McD & company !! 

They’re solid too, 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.