USFL overtime: Three rounds of 2pt conversions

PromoTheRobot

Illinois Knocks Off Penn State After Comical Nine-Overtime Slog;https://www.si.com/college/2021/10/23/illinois-upsets-no-7-penn-state-in-in-overtime-periods-after-casey-washington-catch

It's a joke in college, it would be more of a joke in the NFL.

Let the USFL have it's "please look at me!" quirks while it's still breathing.  It will all be over soon.

15 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't get where any more luck than regular football is involved.

Any given three-yard play will have about a 50% chance of success. There's a huge amount of luck involved, as there is in soccer shootouts.

Whereas typical football scoring requires a period of consistent good performance. That's why the rate of scoring TDs isn't nearly 50% of drives. Scoring a TD or an FG is around 41%, but in the current system, scoring an FG allows the other team to get the ball. 

Luck is involved in any play, but requiring a successful drive greatly increases the amount of luck involved.

14 hours ago, Logic said:

I have never, ever liked overtime systems that stop the complete game itself from being played and turn to some kind of gimmick that only relies on one facet of said game. Soccer and hockey shootouts come to mind. The idea of two teams battling their guts out for the duration of an entire sporting contest, only to have the outcome be decided by a gimmick at the end like a shootout or a two-point-conversion showdown...I hate it.

I may be in the minority on this. I don't know.

The NFL has always said it wants its overtime to still be NFL football in its complete form, not a gimmick of some kind. I don't agree with the NFL on much, but on this issue, I agree with them completely.

I'm in favor of keeping overtime almost entirely like they have it now, but mandating that each team go for two after any touchdown scored in overtime. This way, the thing won't go on forever. Even IF teams trade touchdowns back and forth, at some point, one of the two teams is going to fail to convert a 2 point conversion. 

I just don't like doing away with the kickoffs and the game between the 20s entirely and having it JUST be the conversions. Never will.

Yeah, this is how I feel too

No system is perfect, or even very good, but this or something very close would be the best, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Steptide said:

I'd love to see a fg shootout. Each team starts at the 10 yard line. For every made kick it moves back 5 yards, first team to miss or have a fg blocked, loses 

If they did incorporate this, I think you’d see a lot more drafted kickers 🤣🤣

A team without a big legged kicker, would essentially be conceding OT, so teams would pay more. Maybe enough to attract more athletes to the position. 

A few epic FG showdowns in the books and kicker could be considered a premium position. They are already the leading point scorers. 

This may lead to David Beckem like Kicker super stars. My god imagine the obnoxious prima donna  personalities you’d get mixing NFL WR w/European soccer “injury” overactors?

It is because of all the these reasons, I say no!!  😁

Still interesting to me that we have dudes hanging out in the international space station, my cell phone has more computing power than I ever thought imaginable, and yet teams of executives and their minions can’t figure out a fair OT rule for a game. 

19 hours ago, Steptide said:

I'd love to see a fg shootout. Each team starts at the 10 yard line. For every made kick it moves back 5 yards, first team to miss or have a fg blocked, loses 

Gotta say, I think this is a truly  terrible idea.

FG are not typical football plays.  They are "special" plays.  I'd like to eliminate XP and FG completely.  They arent American football.  These plays are closer to futbol than football.  

Think it through.  A typical football play involves some combination of blocking, tackling, running, passing, and receiving. AFG involves blocking and kicking.  And not even true football blocking.  More like just standing in front of the defense. No athleticism involved, as opposed to reach blocks, pulls, pins, combo blocks that you see in a typical football play.

Why anyone would take a "non-football" part of football and try to decide a football game on futbol kicks is beyond me.

Here is my idea. 

Eliminate place kicks completely.  As above, they are "special" plays, not real football plays.

Have all PATs be 2 pt conversions.

Under current rules, FG are basically "partial credit", for coming close, but not quite scoring a TD.  I think this partial credit remains a good idea. 

But change the rules.    Instead of a guy kicking a ball from 40 yds out to determine the partial credit, make it a football play.  Give the offense an advantage.  Go 11 on 9, or 11 on 7, for one play, all or nothing.

Imagine the creative offense you could see.  Far more exciting to have a game won or lost on a real football play, rather than our current system of having a guy "I keek a touchdown" to decide a game....

But yeah, lets instead fill a stadium to watch guys kick FG.

SMH

How about this? Start with 1st and goal from the 10. 4 downs to get points. But however many downs it took you to score, the opponent must match or beat you to win. FGs are allowed but on TDs you must go for two.

So Buffalo up first. Josh fires a laser for a TD on 1st down. 2ptXP good. Now the opponent not only has to score a TD and convert a 2ptXP, they have to do it in one down from the 10!

Edited by PromoTheRobot

11 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Gotta say, I think this is a truly  terrible idea.

FG are not typical football plays.  They are "special" plays.  I'd like to eliminate XP and FG completely.  They arent American football.  These plays are closer to futbol than football.  

Think it through.  A typical football play involves some combination of blocking, tackling, running, passing, and receiving. AFG involves blocking and kicking.  And not even true football blocking.  More like just standing in front of the defense. No athleticism involved, as opposed to reach blocks, pulls, pins, combo blocks that you see in a typical football play.

Why anyone would take a "non-football" part of football and try to decide a football game on futbol kicks is beyond me.

Here is my idea. 

Eliminate place kicks completely.  As above, they are "special" plays, not real football plays.

Have all PATs be 2 pt conversions.

Under current rules, FG are basically "partial credit", for coming close, but not quite scoring a TD.  I think this partial credit remains a good idea. 

But change the rules.    Instead of a guy kicking a ball from 40 yds out to determine the partial credit, make it a football play.  Give the offense an advantage.  Go 11 on 9, or 11 on 7, for one play, all or nothing.

Imagine the creative offense you could see.  Far more exciting to have a game won or lost on a real football play, rather than our current system of having a guy "I keek a touchdown" to decide a game....

But yeah, lets instead fill a stadium to watch guys kick FG.

SMH

I agree with you on XPs.  A team scores a 6 pt touchdown but then gets to kick the ball for another point?

There aren’t many other situations in sports where scoring gives you a chance to score more.  Two I can think of are:

1. College basketball- when a team goes over the foul limit, the opponent gets to shoot a one-and-one on a non-shooting foul.  If they make the first one, they get a second try.

2. Bowling-  10th frame- if a bowler’s first ball is a strike , he gets a 2nd attempt.  If he gets a strike on that one, he gets a 3rd try.  If he doesn’t get a strike on the first ball, he can pick up the spare and then have a 3rd shot.

On 5/29/2022 at 7:37 PM, Logic said:

I have never, ever liked overtime systems that stop the complete game itself from being played and turn to some kind of gimmick that only relies on one facet of said game. Soccer and hockey shootouts come to mind. The idea of two teams battling their guts out for the duration of an entire sporting contest, only to have the outcome be decided by a gimmick at the end like a shootout or a two-point-conversion showdown...I hate it.

I may be in the minority on this. I don't know.

The NFL has always said it wants its overtime to still be NFL football in its complete form, not a gimmick of some kind. I don't agree with the NFL on much, but on this issue, I agree with them completely.

I'm in favor of keeping overtime almost entirely like they have it now, but mandating that each team go for two after any touchdown scored in overtime. This way, the thing won't go on forever. Even IF teams trade touchdowns back and forth, at some point, one of the two teams is going to fail to convert a 2 point conversion. 

I just don't like doing away with the kickoffs and the game between the 20s entirely and having it JUST be the conversions. Never will.

i hate sudden death overtime rules.  Play quarters alternating who gets ball first and if still tied after quarter on to the second one.

Go back to the regular season rule with a ten minute OT, but no sudden death.  If tied after 10 minutes, tie game.

In the playoffs, if tied after 10 minutes, play another 10 minute period, again no sudden death.  Yeah, it could go on for what would seem like forever, but the premise of the game, with clock management, is preserved.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.