USFL overtime: Three rounds of 2pt conversions

PromoTheRobot

2 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Defense doesn't get a say? Just straight up 2pt conversions?

You know what a two point conversion is, right?

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

??

Defense tries to stop the other guy's conversions.

I don't like the idea, but it makes some sense.

I think it's perfect. 

I have never, ever liked overtime systems that stop the complete game itself from being played and turn to some kind of gimmick that only relies on one facet of said game. Soccer and hockey shootouts come to mind. The idea of two teams battling their guts out for the duration of an entire sporting contest, only to have the outcome be decided by a gimmick at the end like a shootout or a two-point-conversion showdown...I hate it.

I may be in the minority on this. I don't know.

The NFL has always said it wants its overtime to still be NFL football in its complete form, not a gimmick of some kind. I don't agree with the NFL on much, but on this issue, I agree with them completely.

I'm in favor of keeping overtime almost entirely like they have it now, but mandating that each team go for two after any touchdown scored in overtime. This way, the thing won't go on forever. Even IF teams trade touchdowns back and forth, at some point, one of the two teams is going to fail to convert a 2 point conversion. 

I just don't like doing away with the kickoffs and the game between the 20s entirely and having it JUST be the conversions. Never will.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I don't want to see a hard-fought game come down to a 2-point shootout. What, is the NFL going to start awarding a point for an overtime loss like the NHL? LOL.

That being said, I have no problem with a regular season tie. If fans don't like it, I don't care. I am not particularly fond off eggplant, but I eat it because it's good for you. For the playoffs, have a full 15-minute overtime period, provided each team gets at least one full possession (I say "full possession" because sometime in the 80's, I think it was Cincinnati which had a single 13- or 14-minute drive. I don't want a team getting the ball for their first possession with just 1 minute left in OT.)

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Kind of like an NHL shootout. Each team takes turns on 2pt conversions. Three rounds. I'd like to see the NFL adopt this.

https://www.theusfl.com/watch/play-5aff55c64000d96

They should be fired on the spot.  

It is worse than the college rule.

Play football.

• Agree 2

I don’t know. I don’t see anything wrong with a tie. Play 60 minutes and that’s it. In the playoffs play two 7 and a half minute halfs. Still tied? Sudden death. Team with the most net yards gets the ball first.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Just play an entire extra 15 minute quarter. Whoever is in the lead after that is the winner. If it’s a tie, then each team is awarded a tie. Why the NFL ever thought they needed to complicate things in the first place is beyond me. 

I agree, just make the OT as such that they play the whole time and whoever has the most points at the end wins. As many possessions as you can fit in the allotted quarter. 

If the league doesn’t want ties after OT is played, then if teams are still tied after OT, just have the kickers each kick from 55 yards, each alternating until one beats the other in their turns. Meaning, if the first kicker makes it, the other teams kicker makes it, then if the first kicker misses their 2nd kick and the other teams kicker makes their 2nd kick, they win. 

Too gimmicky.  With a 17 game (soon to be 18) game regular season.  I'd rather them not have overtime during the regular season.  In the post-season I think they finally got it right with the most recent rule change.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.