ESPN -Dead Company walking?

Chandler#81

30 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Awesome.  I looked into sling when we cut the cord initially but they didn’t offer all of the channels my wife and I were looking for.  But like YTtv, I’m sure they may have added  channels since I did my research.  

do you get NFLn with it?  

Like you, I’ll worry about the future price hikes when I’m not saving $75 a month. Til then, I’ll continue to save $ and still have access to everything I had prior to cutting the cord. 

Yes, NFLN comes with the Sling Blue.  Like I said i have to add the sling Orange package to get ESPN during the football months.

I get the ESPN+ from a friend for my Sabres hockey.

Sling is limited with channels compared to YouTube TV but it's fine with me for the money.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I wish they would bring fiber to my area! Verizon fios is in my city but not my area and afaik have no plans of coming to my neighborhood.

I get 200 mbps right now. Spectrum does offer 400mbps and 1gb speeds but I’ve been content with 200. It’s plenty for streaming. It would be nice to have GB speeds for downloads though.

The keys, IMO, are two things:

1. Competition, which should bring pricing down
  2. Upload speeds, which cable, unless you get a 400 mbps or higher package (which still sucks), is abysmal at

Fiber gives you symmetric performance, for the most part.  Not all people need it, of course, but I do, or at least it's preferable to have it, for work.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

You don't remember Outside the Lines with Bob Vey? It was one of ESPN's most popular shows in the 90s. Gave them a huge ratings boost. Talked about all the off-field social stuff around sports. Mon-Fri.

No, I didn’t watch that, it was just in the mornings, sports center. Watched it on a loop, that’s all I cared about, highlights from the night before. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Did you really laugh your ass off?  Strange.  

And you’re missing the point.  I AM saving $75 a month.  I have been saving $75 for quite a long time.  It’s a real thing that is happening…. Why would I look take the future into consideration?  I can apply the thousands of dollars of savings I’ve accumulated to help pay the increase…..and STILL pay less than cable.  

Your point makes zero sense unless you’re just trying to prove a point that doesn’t actually exist.  

there are several ways to save decent amount of money each month AND have access to watch all the same channels and shows rather than paying for cable.  Be lazy.  Pay more.  

How do you watch the nfl games?  Once they move to streaming I’m doing exactly what you’re doing but for now I’m stuck with a slimmed-down directv package.

On 5/29/2022 at 2:39 PM, BillsShredder83 said:

When ESPN has, I dunno, actual sports on, it's a fine network. I like the ufc, boxing, hockey, they have baseball I'm sure pulls a lot of views.

SportsCenter was a huge piece of my childhood. Some of my favorite memories with my dad. NFL Primetime was elite.

They barely show sports, and everything during the day is race baiting. Flush it down the toilet and someone else will pick up the slack

Agreed. [EDIT: Except for the last paragraph.] I’ve aged out of their top demographic (males age 18-36), so they probably don’t care much about my opinion. But FWIW, I haven’t gotten ESPN for years and I don’t miss it. What would cause me to miss it? Exactly 2 things:

1.) Live sports

2.) Well-produced, curated highlights 

“#2 is stupid. You can see all the highlights on Twitter.”

That’s wrong, Argumentative Guy I Made Up. Yes I can find highlights of individual plays on the internet. And for NFL specifically, nfl.com’s highlight packages the next day are pretty good! (I mean the ones that are clips from the broadcast.) But even those don’t really tell me the story of the game. Back when I regularly watched NFL Primetime, Inside the NFL, and Sportcenter, it seemed like the point of the highlights was twofold. Show all of the coolest or craziest plays in a game, and recap the game for those who missed it. There was a narrative to the highlight reel, and that’s missing these days. 

Edited by Cash
Clarification. I didn’t want to send the message that I agreed with the entirety of the quoted post.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Another "ESPN is dead" thread?  The leaves has bloomed and summer is officially almost here!

Here's what actually is going on: https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/disney-hulu-espn-q1-2022-subscribers/

"Hulu, ESPN+, Disney+ continue to gain subscribers.  The Walt Disney Company has released its earnings for its first quarter of 2022, and with it we get a new look at the state of the streaming services that fall under the larger Disney umbrella. Things were good across the board, with gains for Disney+, ESPN+ and Hulu.

"ESPN+ increased to 21.3 million subscribers, up from 17.1 million the previous quarter, and from 12.1 million from the first quarter of 2021."

Good info. I appreciate some actual facts.

Silly question. Since Disney owns ESPN (or at least a controlling stake) is it offering ESPN+ as part of a Disney streaming deal?

How much of the growth is ESPN+ subscribers, vs a 'Disney Bundle' or Disney throwing ESPN+ in for free??

I'm not a fan of Disney stuff (No not even Star Wars) so I don't know too much about their subscription services and what gets bundled or not.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

Silly question. Since Disney owns ESPN (or at least a controlling stake) is it offering ESPN+ as part of a Disney streaming deal?

How much of the growth is ESPN+ subscribers, vs a 'Disney Bundle' or Disney throwing ESPN+ in for free??

I'm not a fan of Disney stuff (No not even Star Wars) so I don't know too much about their subscription services and what gets bundled or not.

You get Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ in the bundle. I don’t think too many people are buying ESPN+ by itself, but I could be wrong.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

How do you watch the nfl games?  Once they move to streaming I’m doing exactly what you’re doing but for now I’m stuck with a slimmed-down directv package.

DirecTV Sunday Ticket Streaming App for college kids is the easiest.  $99.00 for the season and everyone can find a family/friends who have

a kid in college.  I give them a few bucks for the trouble (5 minutes) to sign up.

I watch it through my Roku Stick.  Works perfect.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

Um, because you're going to exist in the future.

I’m saving money right now…..while you are not……

I have the ability to switch back if it comes to a point where I’m not saving money anymore.  Logic is hard

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I’m in Vegas, there are bars on every corner.   I watch the Bills games at my favorite bills backers bar.  YTtv has every channel that shows nfl games, so I watch the regional games in the afternoon. They usually show the best games, but if there’s a game I want to watch that isn’t on tv, I’ll hit 1 or the 10 bars within a 1 mile radius. They all have the package.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

3 hours ago, Rico said:

You get Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ in the bundle. I don’t think too many people are buying ESPN+ by itself, but I could be wrong.

"Disney+ now stands at 129.8 million subscribers. That’s up from the 118.1 million subscribers it had at the end of the previous quarter, and nearly 35 million more than the 94.9 million subscribers it had a year ago.

ESPN+ increased to 21.3 million subscribers, up from 17.1 million the previous quarter, and from 12.1 million from the first quarter of 2021."

• Thank you (+1) 1

The people running this network thought it was a good idea to put that gasbag A-Rod on their flagship  Sunday Night Baseball broadcast.

Same people are trying to shove Robert Griffin III down our throats during football season.

On 5/29/2022 at 1:25 PM, Doc Brown said:

ESPN+ went up 66% in 2021 to 17 million subscribers.  Get ready to figure out how to download ESPN+ onto your TV in five years for MNF. 

ESPN+ is a great deal...

• Agree 1

• Simon locked and unlocked this topic
2 hours ago, wppete said:

YTD Disney is down over 30% on an almost $200 Billion market cap. They are getting hammered and it will probably get worse…… Definition of go woke go broke. 

Their revenue reported on 5/11/2022 is up 23% so far this year and they had a net income of about 470 million.  What are you talking about?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Their revenue reported on 5/11/2022 is up 23% so far this year and they had a net income of about 470 million.  What are you talking about?

YTD -30.26% This is not even arguable. Looks at the chart. 

The main problem with ESPN is there are so many loud people on the network... they don't even need a microphone it can get ridiculous. The best watch is the morning with Get Up and then SVP at night... everything in between is just a lot of nonsense I don't need. 

It pains me to have to watch a game on ESPN during football season... the announcers are definitely not my cup of tea. 

• Like (+1) 2