ESPN -Dead Company walking?

Chandler#81

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, FireChans said:

What are you, some kind of NERD?

I’ll have you know, Trekkies are proven to have much higher IQs than the average TV viewer.  We also have the lowest incidence of sexually transmitted diseases in the free world. Not really sure why.  

• Haha (+1) 2

For the people arguing about why it's happening, it can be ALL the reasons mentioned so far. There is more than one way to lose an audience.

ESPN went political and hired more controversial hosts to produce clickbait headlines to draw younger viewers. What they failed to realize is that the social media generation won't tune in to hour long shows, but prefer 30sec tiktok clips.

19 hours ago, FireChans said:

Cord cutting is a scam.

we are all going to get screwed. Rather than 60 or 80 bucks a month for cable, you’ll be paying $15 for Netflix, $15 for ESPN+, $12 for Hulu, $15 for HBO max, etc etc etc. 

And of course, it takes way longer to find something you want to watch by switching these streaming services.

We have been hoodwinked.

$60 to $80 a month for cable? damn, where do you live? I want those prices! 😂

my cable bill is like $250/month. It’s $80+ alone just for the cable internet.

1 hour ago, without a drought said:

And here I thought people were giving up the NFL for their political stand and had already given up ESPN because of their crappy programming, kind of like trying to watch MTV for music videos.

Its both.  A show like First Take was decent, given they refuse to not comment on social issues, when Will Cain was on it with Stephen A.  They legitimately have different world views.  

Now that show is just Max Kellerman, now JJ Redick, in agreement with every political take that is debated. 

Stephen A and Michael Wilbon almost hyperventilated and fainted when KD attacked Mayor Adams over his covid policy given what was going on with Kyrie.   Why on earth do the sports-watching public need to hear an entire segment devoted to ESPN analysts covid views? ..and of course, those views were all on one side. 

This comes across in all their programming.   Not even moderate left leaning people want to be inundated with this when they try to get away by watching sports.  

Sometimes you get it in game… Mark Jones types just randomly lecturing the audience in the 2nd Quarter out of nowhere. 

Yes.. there is a lack of talent on the network…for sure, but their politicization of sports certainly plays a part. 

I’ll watch Bills/Cuse games wherever they are, but if I see an NBA Playoff Game is on ESPN, I’ll probably check out.  If it’s on TNT, I’ll likely tune in.  I don’t care about the teams involved, but TNT is a good product. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2022/03/espns-best-first-quarter-viewership-in-five-years-up-40-in-prime-time/

ESPN’s total day viewership in the first quarter of 2022 was up 32% vs. last year to an average of 812,000 viewers (P2+), the network’s best for the first three months of the year since 2017.  The increase was even more pronounced in prime time – up 40% to 2.068M viewers.  

In the target demo of adults 18-49, ESPN was up 23% in total day audience and led the second-place network by 74%.  In prime time, ESPN’s audience in the demo grew 36% and the advantage was more than double – up 111% – the next closest competitor.  

On the strength of the weekday studio show lineup, ESPN averaged 600,000 viewers from 8 a.m. – 7 p.m. ET, up 20% over 2021 and the best since 2017.  

🤔 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

20 hours ago, FireChans said:

Cord cutting is a scam.

we are all going to get screwed. Rather than 60 or 80 bucks a month for cable, you’ll be paying $15 for Netflix, $15 for ESPN+, $12 for Hulu, $15 for HBO max, etc etc etc. 

And of course, it takes way longer to find something you want to watch by switching these streaming services.

We have been hoodwinked.

We cut the cord and save $75 a month.

YouTube tv = $65 month and I get all the channels I used to have minus HBO.  I found a promo and paid $75 for a year of HBO

Everyone and their brother shares Netflix accounts and when if they happen to fix that, then Netflix will lose even more subscribers. 

The espn+/Disney/Hulu bundle is $15 a month.  I share that with family all over the country and pay $5 a month.  

Most people have Amazon prime, so they have prime video.

If you haven’t found a way to save a good amount of money by cutting the cord, you’re doing it wrong. There is no doubt

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

YouTube tv = $65 month and I get all the channels I used to have minus HBO.  I found a promo and paid $75 for a year of HBO

Everyone and their brother shares Netflix accounts and when if they happen to fix that, then Netflix will lose even more subscribers. 

The espn+/Disney/Hulu bundle is $15 a month.  I share that with family all over the country and pay $5 a month.  

If you haven’t found a way to save a good amount of money by cutting the cord, you’re doing it wrong. There is no doubt

Your mistake is thinking they won't raise those prices lmao.

Netflix was $7.99 a month 8 years ago. It's now $15.50. 

They will all continue to raise their prices, especially when a reasonable alternative no longer exists.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I can back this up as true.  We did this over Thanksgiving 2021, and could not be happier.  We use the newer Fire Cube for streaming, which I was told is a must for performance (we formerly had a gen1 Fire Stick).

Cable bill went down to $99/mo (Spectrum) for internet only.  And since I'm a "remote" employee, work pays for the internet connection (dial up, DSL, cable, fiber, whatever).

YouTube tv has been a great find.  We tried it vs Hulu and could not be happier.

We're not into the Disney bundle at this point, so nothing spent there.

In the end (cable bill for bundled services hit $280/month), we're spending about $125/mo for YouTube tv + Netflix + HBO.  So, that's a savings.  And even if work didn't pay for the internet, it would still be a savings.

Just now, FireChans said:

They will all continue to raise their prices, especially when a reasonable alternative no longer exists.

So, just like cable has done for decades?

At least with streaming services there’s competition. Everyone and their brother is coming out with their own streaming service.

Im sure eventually they’ll be weeded down, and prices may rise. But right now you can save a lot of money over cable for the same, or better, coverage. And better picture quality too.

I don’t see cable going anywhere any time soon though. If anything, maybe they’ll be forced to finally start offering better prices and not price gouging their long time customers while giving deals only to new customers.

cable companies finally have legit competition. That’s a good thing.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

So, just like cable has done for decades?

At least with streaming services there’s competition. Everyone and their brother is coming out with their own streaming service.

Im sure eventually they’ll be weeded down, and prices may rise. But right now you can save a lot of money over cable for the same, or better, coverage. And better picture quality too.

I don’t see cable going anywhere any time soon though. If anything, maybe they’ll be forced to finally start offering better prices and not price gouging their long time customers while giving deals only to new customers.

cable companies finally have legit competition. That’s a good thing.

Correct re: cable.  At least we're finally starting to get fiber up here in Maine, so there will be competition.  They are offering 1g internet for $79/mo where my current 400m internet costs $99.  Competition is always a good thing, and we agree on that as well.

And you're also right about the picture quality.  Even my dad, who's 85 and (sadly) losing his eyesight -- noticed the visible difference in picture quality.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I watched ESPN last night. The Celtics vs heat game 7 playoffs.

Great game ! Did anyone else watch it ?

Then followed up with SVP post game show.

Good stuff

it’s a game. MUTE can be your friend 
The only way to be disappointed would be if you had a vested interest and lost.  

SVP isn’t bad.  Bonus points —— He’s not screaming to make his point 

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Same with me but instead of YouTube TV I have Sling Blue for $35.00 a month.  I add Sling Orange for ESPN during football season.

I share that with a friend and he gives me Netflix, ESPN/Disney/Hulu bundle and Paramount+ in return.

I get Sunday Ticket from college students I know for the $99.00 for the season.

I went from $200.00 a month with DirecTV to about a total of $55.00 a month the streaming way.

Note for those who care:  I bought an indoor/outdoor OTA antenna and hooked in up to my old DirecTV cabling.  I now have all the

local channels on all 3 of my TVs for a one-time cost of $50.00.

As to the comments on streaming costing more in the future..............I'll worry about that when it happens.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Did you really laugh your ass off?  Strange.  

And you’re missing the point.  I AM saving $75 a month.  I have been saving $75 for quite a long time.  It’s a real thing that is happening…. Why would I look take the future into consideration?  I can apply the thousands of dollars of savings I’ve accumulated to help pay the increase…..and STILL pay less than cable.  

Your point makes zero sense unless you’re just trying to prove a point that doesn’t actually exist.  

there are several ways to save decent amount of money each month AND have access to watch all the same channels and shows rather than paying for cable.  Be lazy.  Pay more.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Same with me but instead of YouTube TV I have Sling Blue for $35.00 a month.  I add Sling Orange for ESPN during football season.

I share that with a friend and he gives me Netflix, ESPN/Disney/Hulu bundle and Paramount+ in return.

I get Sunday Ticket from college students I know for the $99.00 for the season.

I went from $200.00 a month with DirecTV to about a total of $55.00 a month the streaming way.

Note for those who care:  I bought an indoor/outdoor OTA antenna and hooked in up to my old DirecTV cabling.  I now have all the

local channels on all 3 of my TVs for a one-time cost of $50.00.

As to the comments on streaming costing more in the future..............I'll worry about that when it happens.

Awesome.  I looked into sling when we cut the cord initially but they didn’t offer all of the channels my wife and I were looking for.  But like YTtv, I’m sure they may have added  channels since I did my research.  

do you get NFLn with it?  

Like you, I’ll worry about the future price hikes when I’m not saving $75 a month. Til then, I’ll continue to save $ and still have access to everything I had prior to cutting the cord. 

3 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

Flip side, you’re ignorant of what you want to be ignorant of. 

I remember nothing of the sort, just sports center rolling clips in the 80s and 90s. I would watch them every morning, over and over again. Just fun quips and sports. That was the hay day. 

You don't remember Outside the Lines with Bob Vey? It was one of ESPN's most popular shows in the 90s. Gave them a huge ratings boost. Talked about all the off-field social stuff around sports. Mon-Fri.

5 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

You don't remember Outside the Lines with Bob Vey? It was one of ESPN's most popular shows in the 90s. Gave them a huge ratings boost. Talked about all the off-field social stuff around sports. Mon-Fri.

One of the best shows in the history of Tv imo.  Bob Ley ftw.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

46 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

Correct re: cable.  At least we're finally starting to get fiber up here in Maine, so there will be competition.  They are offering 1g internet for $79/mo where my current 400m internet costs $99.  Competition is always a good thing, and we agree on that as well.

And you're also right about the picture quality.  Even my dad, who's 85 and (sadly) losing his eyesight -- noticed the visible difference in picture quality.

I wish they would bring fiber to my area! Verizon fios is in my city but not my area and afaik have no plans of coming to my neighborhood.

I get 200 mbps right now. Spectrum does offer 400mbps and 1gb speeds but I’ve been content with 200. It’s plenty for streaming. It would be nice to have GB speeds for downloads though.

• Like (+1) 1