ESPN -Dead Company walking?

Chandler#81

3 hours ago, FireChans said:

Cord cutting is a scam.

we are all going to get screwed. Rather than 60 or 80 bucks a month for cable, you’ll be paying $15 for Netflix, $15 for ESPN+, $12 for Hulu, $15 for HBO max, etc etc etc. 

And of course, it takes way longer to find something you want to watch by switching these streaming services.

We have been hoodwinked.

Yeah people who think any of the actual board room objectives of streaming services are to save you money versus cable/satellite are total sheep.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

ESPN+ went up 66% in 2021 to 17 million subscribers.  Get ready to figure out how to download ESPN+ onto your TV in five years for MNF. 

Cable companies are what are dying. ESPN is cutting out the middleman and going direct to the consumer. Sorry, haters.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

While I enjoy ESPN+, the ESPN cable/satellite channels just do not show enough "real" sports (well, they show Formula 1; finally, Ferrari is back). I just cannot warm up to cornhole, axe-throwing, or their X games. Perhaps I would change my mind if the would show eukonkanto (wife-carrying, a Finnish specialty).

Edited by DrW

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

ESPN has sucked for a long time. I stopped watching 14 years ago, even though I was at peak sports fandom in my 20's/30's. You really wanna call it ppolitical? That's comical. It's just crappy programming since the early aughts. 

You stopped watchful 14 years ago is probably why. It has become much more political since. 

1 minute ago, BUFFALOBART said:

ESPN's content sucks, and the staff wears knee pads emblazoned with the Patriots logo.

Politics has nothing to do with it..

Perhaps for you, but for me, and others on here it seems, it was the politics. I’d think we are not the only ones and there is likely a large contingent of fans that were turned off by the constant discussion of political issues. 

• Eyeroll 1

Honestly I was done with ESPN when the NFL draft every story was how someone in their life died.  His uncle dies at 6... We do we need to bring this up on what is supposed to be the best day of his life.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

ESPN+ went up 66% in 2021 to 17 million subscribers.  Get ready to figure out how to download ESPN+ onto your TV in five years for MNF. 

Bingo.

And imho, the service as it stands right now is an absolute bargain for a sports nut like myself. Just a few days ago I watched the Bandits-Rock NLL semifinal. I catch every Sabres (or other NHL game) on the platform. Not to mention every UB game, football or basketball. And for 5.99 per month? Yes please!

Edited by buffblue
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mr Wild said:

Honestly I was done with ESPN when the NFL draft every story was how someone in their life died.  His uncle dies at 6... We do we need to bring this up on what is supposed to be the best day of his life.

Go to 1:23:41.... He is literally walking to the stage.  Before they even mention he was a 4 year player or any of his stats.  They spend his whole time walking to the stage talking about how his Grandfather was accidently killed by cops 8 years ago...  That is not what we want to watch

They bury us in redundant content then amplify the problem with ‘strong personalities’.

I avoid tv, but do look at stats, box scores, etc on the web because you can see multiple sports of interest with a click.  

No sound helps.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Somehow this thread dog-whistled the fascists, great…

ESPN is bland corporate similac that has been huffing its own reputational fumes for over a decade.  They haven’t adapted well to new technologies or new content and seem stubbornly stuck in the past.  But bundling with Hulu and Disney+ was a smart move, “something for everyone in the family” and they’re not wrong.  Rarely watch any of their shows but have enjoyed getting hockey games for the price of my kid’s Mandalorian fix…

This. Complaining about the politics at ESPN is like complaining about the ambience at Burger King.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Wild said:

Go to 1:23:41.... He is literally walking to the stage.  Before they even mention he was a 4 year player or any of his stats.  They spend his whole time walking to the stage talking about how his Grandfather was accidently killed by cops 8 years ago...  That is not what we want to watch

Watch this video so I can show you “this is not what we want to watch”. 

6 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

22,000 viewers/day leaving the network. Once the premiere sports network, has become a complete waste of sports fans time. Granted, streaming is killing cable, but this show has been dying for years. Aside from Wilbon & Cornhieser (which I don’t watch anymore either), I literally can’t stand any of their talking heads. Stephen A?, Keyshawn? Steve Levy? Bayless? Irvin?

Fuggetaboutit !

i am unfamiliar with who this is.

FYI… peop,e are cutting the cord and going to streaming services thinking it’s cheaper.

FACZt…8wont be in a few years when you have to pay $25+ a month fir all these subscription streaming services.

has sports popularity changed?  There might be some shifting between sports. I don’t think the market has changed.

remember customer loses can come from

1. person moves from own home to senior / retirement home where cable is provided. They are not a direct customer

2 you have the creation of couples/ roommates from single. It could come as a lost customer even though it’s not

3 people died

4 people switch providers 

5 people go to streaming from cutting the cord

6 kids still living at home in their 20s so they aren’t adding as customers to cable or streaming counts.

7 newer apartments come with built in cable as part of rent.

the issue has been on cable sports channels is what can we run during the daytime to get viewers.  This is why nbc sports died and FOX sports hasn’t done well either.

idont watch sports talk shows during the day on espn.  I do watch live sports on them 

I don’t watch streaming sports online. I’ve watched things like Netflix on my TV.

• Eyeroll 1