The TE market is absolutely bonkers

Process

On 5/27/2022 at 4:44 PM, YoloinOhio said:

400 yard season incoming 

C’mon, Yolo. He missed 5 games then played with a recovering broken hand. 
funny comment though, ya Prick! 😉

On 5/27/2022 at 6:31 PM, MRW said:

Also, between this contract and what the Patriots handed out to two TEs last offseason, if you want a credible receiving threat you're going to have to pay a fair amount regardless. I don't think the Bills should go bargain hunting for a starting TE, so finding a way to keep Knox around will be important. Also it will help maintain good relations with Allen, not that that should be the overriding concern.

Imo, the emergence of TE’s is a direct result of most teams now playing 5 & 6 DBs. Even the linebackers are morphing into cover guys. I love me some Milano, but he’d have been cut as rookie on the ‘70’s Steeler teams, if he was even drafted.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Augie said:

You are looking merely at stats. I am considering talent, trajectory and chemistry. Knox is on the rise, and the ceiling is pretty high. Hopefully the stats keep him affordable, because a good TE is an important ingredient in our offense going forward. 

Not sure how else to rank tight ends around the league. Everything else is very subjective. If Knox puts in a 1000 yard season then he’ll firmly be in that best tight ends in the league list.

On 5/27/2022 at 6:04 PM, CapeBreton said:

Would be pretty wild if they just re-sign OJ for 2022, likely at a much cheaper price than Knox who could walk for a huge payday. 

That is an absurd contract for Njoku, he’s an average TE at best, come on Cleveland. 

Absurd. I've had Njoku and Howard in the same tier, pretty much ranked back to back as league TE's, for years now. I actually prefer Howard because his YPC has been so insane for a TE for his career, should pair well with Josh.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Today I was listening to  Locked On Bills and Joe Marino had an interesting take.  The caller suggested that the Bills may go 12 personnel more this year with the addition of O.J Howard and James Cook.  He believes the speed at the RB position gives Allen a lot more option.  Similarly,  Howard is very strong with his blocking and this could end up releasing Knox through the seam a lot more and he may benefit with the scheme to get more than the 49 catches he had from last year/.     The writer referenced the Panthers doing this with two of the best TE in the league at that time (Shockey and Olsen).

Interesting topic to discuss.   I think our offense is really going to be dynamic.  

Additional comment:  We have Mike Shula and Brady as coaches in the offense....they should help Dorsey become a better play caller.   

The same goes on the defensive side.  With addition of Miller on the front seven and Kair Elam as a starting CB who doesn't need help, may force Poyer and Hyde to play true center field without having to cheat to go support the CBs. This might give them a better chance to match and cover the opposing TEs.

The Bills have probably put together their best team in several years;  even better than the past two years....They will have no excuses to win the AFC East. the AFC and the Superbowl.  Go Bills!

8 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Today I was listening to  Locked On Bills and Joe Marino had an interesting take.  The caller suggested that the Bills may go 12 personnel more this year with the addition of O.J Howard and James Cook.  He believes the speed at the RB position gives Allen a lot more option.  Similarly,  Howard is very strong with his blocking and this could end up releasing Knox through the seam a lot more and he may benefit with the scheme to get more than the 49 catches he had from last year/.     The writer referenced the Panthers doing this with two of the best TE in the league at that time (Shockey and Olsen).

Interesting topic to discuss.   I think our offense is really going to be dynamic.  

Additional comment:  We have Mike Shula and Brady as coaches in the offense....they should help Dorsey become a better play caller.   

The same goes on the defensive side.  With addition of Miller on the front seven and Kair Elam as a starting CB who doesn't need help, may force Poyer and Hyde to play true center field without having to cheat to go support the CBs. This might give them a better chance to match and cover the opposing TEs.

The Bills have probably put together their best team in several years;  even better than the past two years....They will have no excuses to win the AFC East. the AFC and the Superbowl.  Go Bills!

No excuse if they don't win the Super Bowl?

You're right, the Bills have a good team and should win the AFCE.  But there's enough parity in the league that you can't assume the 'best' team will win it all.  In my mind, it's all about probability.  

There are 32 NFL teams.  If they were all equally talented, each would have a roughly 3% chance of winning the Super Bowl.

But they are not equally talented.  The best teams have maybe a 10% or so chance of winning the SB while the worst teams have a probability of 1% or less.  

I'll cry tears of joy if the Bills hoist the Lombardi.  But I won't blame McD or anyone else if the Bills make a good run only to fall short.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'll cry tears of joy if the Bills hoist the Lombardi.  But I won't blame McD or anyone else if the Bills make a good run only to fall short.   

They already fell short the last two years at Kansas City.    They really have no excuses this year after all the off season addition.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

They already fell short the last two years at Kansas City.    They really have no excuses this year after all the off season addition.

I agree they have no excuses to fail but that doesn't mean they will succeed. It is the NFL. Any given Sunday. The best team does not always win the Superbowl and that is because the talent gap between the top 10 or 12 teams is minimal. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/28/2022 at 12:35 AM, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I think you are over rating Knox’s production last year if you say he was one of the best TE’s in the league. 

He ranked 18th and 15th respectively among TE’s in receptions and yards. Far from top 5 or even top 10. 

Sure he was tied for first in TD’s but that is a stat that is typically far less repeatable from year to year.

I wouldn’t want to pay that kind of cash to Knox if he only matches last years numbers. If he can succeed them by a decent amount I’d be okay with it. 

He was also at roughly 50 to 65 percent of the targets per game as the top guys.  He has a top tier average per catch at 12 yards.  Pitts at 15.xx then the rest of the top guys in the 12 range.  They don't throw to him enough.  4.7 targets per game.

On 5/27/2022 at 4:39 PM, Process said:

It's been trending this way for a couple years now.

This guy has 148 catches in 5 years

Knox will get $15M per. Should the bills be the one to pay it?

Great question.  

To be honest I wouldn't pay him that much. I'd let him walk. He did have an impressive 9 TD in a breakout year but under 600 yards. 

I don't know if we can keep Knox and Gabe . I'm aware we have Gabe for 2 more years but I'd rather throw him a bunch of money than Knox. We can't keep em all , unfortunately.  

Unless he turns into a Kelce/Kittle type, I think we have no choice but to let him walk next year

On 5/27/2022 at 4:39 PM, Process said:

It's been trending this way for a couple years now.

This guy has 148 catches in 5 years

Knox will get $15M per. Should the bills be the one to pay it?

Cleveland is an absolute joke of a franchise. The most poorly run team in the NFL.

I think it will be interesting to see what kind of year OJ Howard has. Knox knows he is playing for a contract. I think we will have a ton of production from the TE position. $15M year. Dorsey had a pretty good tight end while at Miami, Jeremy Shockey

TE Jaylen Wydermyer, Texas A&M

With solid production (118 catches for 1,468 yards and 16 TDs in 34 games) over three seasons, it's hard to believe nobody drafted this player.

I like this kid. I happen to be close to College Station, but he was overlooked in Jimbo's offence. He will start out on the practice squad. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.