The TE market is absolutely bonkers

Process

I think there’s a reasonably good chance that Trey McBride would’ve been our second round pick if he had been on the board at pick 57. I think they wanted to safeguard against Knox pricing himself out of their range.

I think they’ll try hard to re-sign Knox, but won’t overpay for him if he demands too much. 

You simply can’t pay everyone. If it came down to, say, Oliver or Knox, I’m going with the d-lineman over the tight end every time.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Manther said:

Ridiculous!  At least the Jags were signing FAs.  The Browns....WTF.  Who is behind the wheel there?

I think they should.  I think they would like to.  "I think" the problem is they don't have the cap space to do so.  His 2022 contact is inexpensive and the jump would dig into our cap.  I don't think we have the cap space for the guaranteed money, but not sure?

12 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

Would be pretty wild if they just re-sign OJ for 2022, likely at a much cheaper price than Knox who could walk for a huge payday. 

That is an absurd contract for Njoku, he’s an average TE at best, come on Cleveland. 

Njoku is below average in my mind.  Dumpster fire STILL in Cleveland!

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

He's been buried on the depth chart since he's been in the league and the Browns wanna pay him $15 million a year? This is the kinda stuff that ruins football teams. It's one thing for Kelce or Kittle to get $15 million a year but Njoku? The TE market is gonna be reset over a player that doesn't deserve the contract 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, Augie said:

I respectfully disagree. It took years to develop him into one on the best TE’s in the league. TE’s are an important part of a quality NFL offense these days. I’d pay him what the market expects for the talent that he is and keep weapons for Josh at every skill position. Surround Josh with talent and let him do his thing. I know the cap is an issue………..but there are ways. 

Full disclosure, I was higher on Knox than most early, even with his dropsies. Now that he looks like a top TE, I’d just hate to see him wind up somewhere else. There is a way. 

One MIGHT suggest that the "way" you're alluding to involves routing more cap resources towards scoring points (supporting Allen) while tightening the belt on the defensive side of the cap. Can't pay TWO safeties top dollar once the QB money kicks in, for example. That money needs to be divvied up at all three levels of the defense, rather than concentrated in one position group. Make our DEFENSIVE and SECONDARY coaches (including the HC) do more with less. It's the way of corporate America. 

9 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

How did Njoku not beat out Hooper who had 2 very pedestrian years in CLE

The 2nd half of last year he did.  He greatly improved his blocking. Overpaid for now, but the dude is barely 25 with 5 years in the league.

6 hours ago, Process said:

It's been trending this way for a couple years now.

This guy has 148 catches in 5 years

Knox will get $15M per. Should the bills be the one to pay it?

With these contracts the devil is often in the details. 

That's a lot of guaranteed money. But how backloaded is it? Is the 4th year likely to be paid out or not.

The stories say it's a maximum of $56M. What's the minimum?

It should be interesting to see. So far looks like they overpaid for him.

5 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

It depends on how big of a year Knox has.  If he improves off of last years breakout season to become an upper echelon TE, then yes the Bills should certainly pay him.  I would pay him big money before Jordan Poyer.  

This is where I’m at. I’m paying whoever has the better year. If Knox shows he can be a huge reliable target for us, he is worth the money.

6 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

It depends on how big of a year Knox has.  If he improves off of last years breakout season to become an upper echelon TE, then yes the Bills should certainly pay him.  I would pay him big money before Jordan Poyer.  

Agree  !!! 
I would give him an extension this year 4 year deal   $45 million 

6 hours ago, Augie said:

I respectfully disagree. It took years to develop him into one on the best TE’s in the league. TE’s are an important part of a quality NFL offense these days. I’d pay him what the market expects for the talent that he is and keep weapons for Josh at every skill position. Surround Josh with talent and let him do his thing. I know the cap is an issue………..but there are ways. 

Full disclosure, I was higher on Knox than most early, even with his dropsies. Now that he looks like a top TE, I’d just hate to see him wind up somewhere else. There is a way. 

Even before the breakout year, there were flashes that showed what he could be. The drops help him back in our eyes, but the flashes were impressive! If we can extend him before the season to spread out the cost, I’m good. I trust Knox, and I trust Beane. 

I think you are over rating Knox’s production last year if you say he was one of the best TE’s in the league. 

He ranked 18th and 15th respectively among TE’s in receptions and yards. Far from top 5 or even top 10. 

Sure he was tied for first in TD’s but that is a stat that is typically far less repeatable from year to year.

I wouldn’t want to pay that kind of cash to Knox if he only matches last years numbers. If he can succeed them by a decent amount I’d be okay with it. 

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, MRW said:

Also, between this contract and what the Patriots handed out to two TEs last offseason, if you want a credible receiving threat you're going to have to pay a fair amount regardless. I don't think the Bills should go bargain hunting for a starting TE, so finding a way to keep Knox around will be important. Also it will help maintain good relations with Allen, not that that should be the overriding concern.

Just because other teams are making terrible personnel decisions at the TE position doesn’t mean the Bills should do the same. It’s no different then the Cowboys or Panthers paying massive deals to Zeke and McCaffery in that regard. Bad business. The difference though is that a truly elite  TE is worth $20 million + per year. But we are talking Kelce and prime Gronk and Kittle and Andrew’s to a lesser extent. Basically you have to be a top 3 TE talent. Beyond that i think TE’s are easily interchangeable.

Thus far the Hunter Henry and Jonu Smith signings have been a failure for the patriots.

In fact, the Smith contract might be the worst value  contract among TE’s  in all of football in terms of cap hit for 2022.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/2022/tight-end/cap-hit/

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Augie said:

Surround Josh with talent and let him do his thing. I know the cap is an issue………..but there are ways. 

The “way” you are referencing is Josh Allen takes a pay cut or at least moves 5 million back to year 6 so his prom pose body stays with the bills. All this take of surround Allen with talent…Beane has done that, but Josh can ensure it continues for years to come.

9 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

OJ Howard was a somewhat sneaky under the radar signing and will probably be TE1 here in 2023 assuming Knox becomes too expensive to keep. He had decent numbers in TB before Gronk came there to play with Brady. Obviously can draft another one next year too.

Just one of many reasons this team needs to do whatever it takes to win a championship this year before this roster stats to look very different.

Howard signed for only one year,right?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.