Stefon Diggs named fourth best WR in the NFL

BillsFan619

17 hours ago, BillsFan619 said:

You have a rookie who only has 81 receptions in the NFL ahead of Diggs who, not only with his year in and year out consistency, has had over 125 receptions in one year?

How about accounting for the fact the guy was a rookie and managed how many yards on those 81 catches?  Chase is more physically gifted, and already performing at an insane level. 

6 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Receivers are only as good as the guy throwing the ball.

Lets see how good Adams is with Carr instead of Rodgers.

Lets see how good Hill is with Tua instead of Mahomes.

I guarantee those guys will see a dip in production. Chase is impressive and he has the QB but lets see him do it more than just one season. 

Now Jefferson is scary. Cousins is not a scrub but he's not elite either and Jefferson would probably top 2k with someone like Josh, Mahomes or ARod.

John Brown with Allen= Career year.

Diggs with Allen= Career year.

Beasley with Allen= Career year. 

Kupp with Stafford= Career year.

See what I'm getting at? To me its,

Adams

Hopkins

Diggs

Hill

Kupp

Jefferson

Chase

JMHO of course....

Not with all WRs. Some of them make their QBs better. Diggs was productive in Minnesota with Bridgewater, Keenum and Cousins. I could even be forgetting a name in there. I would argue, Diggs made all of these players better

Tyreek Hill is the one I’d be most worried about giving a long term contract to, as hes elite due to his insane speed..and ability to translate that speed into his route running. 

That being said, until that speed declines, Tyreek Hill is the best WR in football. 

Almost could put him in a different category called “game breaker”.  

Adams & Diggs., are more complete inside/outside WR’s who will both likely age gracefully into their 30’s.  

Kupp is unstoppable out of the slot at times. 

Hop is definitely in that group, but he has some weird vibes and I just don’t know about him staying healthy/focused enough to remain in this group.  

Chase & Jefferson also belong in Tier 1, but it takes time to overtake the guys who have been doing it longer.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

People act like I said Sammy Watkins is better than Diggs. Lol.

The tribalism amongst football fans is real.  

Being anywhere in the top 7 or 8 of WRs is high praise.  The league is LOADED with talent at the position.  

Hopkins has lost a step and shouldn't be in the conversation for Tier 1. Anyone who watched him play in Arizona last year will tell you he pretty much became a TD machine and wasn't creating seperation like he used to.

The tricky part about the WRs is a few of them have new QBS

For me:

1. Hill

2. Kupp

3. Adams

4. Jefferson

5. Chase

6. Diggs

7. Samuel

I think that's Tier 1 and then you start talking about Hopkins, Brown, Evans, Allen, Metcalf, McLaurin, Higgins

Edited by dma0034
Spelling

23 minutes ago, dma0034 said:

Hopkins has lost a step and shouldn't be in the conversation for Tier 1. Anyone who watched him play in Arizona last year will tell you he pretty much became a TD machine and wasn't creating seperation like he used to.

The tricky part about the WRs is a few of them have new QBS

For me:

1. Hill

2. Kupp

3. Adams

4. Jefferson

5. Chase

6. Diggs

7. Samuel

I think that's Tier 1 and then you start talking about Hopkins, Brown, Evans, Allen, Metcalf, McLaurin, Higgins

Mike Evans is undoubtedly tier 1.  Probably the most underrated/under-appreciated future Hall of Famer playing today.

*You may be right about DeAndre, but also keep in mind that Hop was playing injured last season.  I'd imagine his current suspension was due to, in part, trying to aid in his recovery.

Edited by Chicken Boo

4 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I think the top about 8 guys are defined by their offense, basically trade them all around and the numbers go up or down mainly based on the team, not them. These dudes get open and are awesome but who is getting them the ball 

That and what other weapons are around?

That can help and hurt.

GB had Adams and a bunch of marginal WRs and some good RBs.

Adams might have had to work harder to get open, but he was fed the ball.

With the Raiders it should be easier, but the Raiders have a lot of mouths to feed.

16 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

All good discussion, but I think it’s very fair Diggs ended up in the 4th spot.  I think he’ll end up higher after this year as he may share some receptions increased with the TE’s, but then he’ll also increase due to losing Beasely.  

I still think Bills fans are overlooking the Crowder signing. There were a lot of alpha WRs moved (Adams/ Brown etc) but Crowder was a sneaky good pick up, like KC getting Smith-Shuster. Crowder should be close to a zero sum difference. Josh and Crowder just need to develop that connection. I did a comparison a month or so back and Crowder's numbers are very close to what Beasley had before becoming a Buffalo Bill.

Davis outside should be right around the #2 WR production we have had from Sanders and Brown as WR#2. Maybe better, he is younger than Brown or Sanders by a wide margin. I don;t know if Sanders got dinged up last year or just ran out of gas, but his production slipped in the second half of the season.

I'll take a stab at this...

Looking at basic WR stats alone (receptions, yards, and TDs)

In 2021, only 5 wide receivers placed in the top 10 for each: recs, yds, and TDs:

Cooper Kupp, Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill, Justin Jefferson, and Stefon Diggs

In 2020, only 2 wide receivers placed in the top 10 for each: recs, yds, and TDs:

Davante Adams and Tyreek Hill

(Diggs was close though as he was #1 in receptions, #1 in yards, but only 13th in TDs)

So, if we are looking at just statistical production, not projections for 2022, it would be hard not to say that the best WRs over the last two years are:

Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill, and Stefon Diggs

Then Kupp and Jefferson

As far as projections:

-Yes, Hill and Adams have new QBs. Adams might be ok with Carr, but I think Cheetah's production will definitely suffer with Tua

-Kupp, Jefferson, and Diggs all keep their QB

-Where does Deebo Samuel end up? But can't ignore his yards from scrimmage last year

-Chase burst onto the scene last year (ranking 4th in yards and 2nd in TDs) and has a good QB

-The only other receivers to place in the top 10 for 2 of the three categories last year were Hunter Renfrow and Diontae Johnson (but Renfrow will lose targets to Adams this year, and Johnson will have Trubisky/rookie as his QB)

So, imo, there is currently a top seven as the top tier of NFL WRs heading into 2022 (ranked in my very speculative projections for 2022):

Cooper Kupp

Davante Adams

Jamar Chase

Stefon Diggs

Justin Jefferson

Deebo Samuel 

Tyreek Hill (rank due to QB)

Next tier for me (to round out a top 15...and in no particular order):

Chris Godwin (if back ok from injury)

D. J. Moore (keeps producing despite weak QBs)

A. J. Brown

Michael Pittman

Mike Evans 

Keenan Allen 

CeeDee Lamb

Diontae Johnson

(other considerations):

D.K. Metcalf and Tyler Lockett (Worried about their QB situation)

Hopkins (fading imo and suspension will keep him out of 2022 stats leaders).

Edited by folz
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I feel like one guy we don't see mentioned enough on these top WR lists is Mike Evans. He averages 75 receptions for 1100 yards and 9 TDs a season. He's also racked up 1000 receiving yards in each of his first eight seasons and I think he's the only player that's ever done that. He's been steady and consistent despite inconsistent QB play. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Watkins101 said:

I do think Kupp is too low on your list, he had over 300 more yards than the next closest receiver last year.

True but it's only the 2nd time he's gone over 1k in 5 seasons and it took the acquisition of Stafford to get him there. I'm judging by history, reputation and QB, not just last years body of work.

Nice player no doubt.  Like I said, JMHO.

2 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I feel like one guy we don't see mentioned enough on these top WR lists is Mike Evans. He averages 75 receptions for 1100 yards and 9 TDs a season. He's also racked up 1000 receiving yards in each of his first eight seasons and I think he's the only player that's ever done that. He's been steady and consistent despite inconsistent QB play. 

Good call. 👍

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Not a chance… Diggs was completely shut down in the Divisional game. Despite all the attention on Hill, he still puts up huge numbers. 

You can slow him down with a good defensive game plan. To me that was more a product of superior coaching. Diggs and Knox destroyed KC in Week 5 and Reid made sure that didn't happen again. They were non existent in the playoff game as you said. Had they a scheme in place to at least limit Hill like Cincy did we might have a Lombardi.

This may be blasphemy for some here but I think this team will be better moving forward without Levi Wallace. Good player but abused too often against better QBs, especially when he's isolated with little Safety help.

2 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

I still think Bills fans are overlooking the Crowder signing. There were a lot of alpha WRs moved (Adams/ Brown etc) but Crowder was a sneaky good pick up, like KC getting Smith-Shuster. Crowder should be close to a zero sum difference. Josh and Crowder just need to develop that connection. I did a comparison a month or so back and Crowder's numbers are very close to what Beasley had before becoming a Buffalo Bill.

Davis outside should be right around the #2 WR production we have had from Sanders and Brown as WR#2. Maybe better, he is younger than Brown or Sanders by a wide margin. I don;t know if Sanders got dinged up last year or just ran out of gas, but his production slipped in the second half of the season.

Agree on Crowder.  As for Smith-Shuster, I'd agree if Hill were still there.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Not a chance… Diggs was completely shut down in the Divisional game. Despite all the attention on Hill, he still puts up huge numbers. 

Yeah and as a result, Gabe Davis had possibly one of the greatest games ever by a WR.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

Mike Evans is undoubtedly tier 1.  Probably the most underrated/under-appreciated future Hall of Famer playing today.

*You may be right about DeAndre, but also keep in mind that Hop was playing injured last season.  I'd imagine his current suspension was due to, in part, trying to aid in his recovery.

He'll have to play many many more "todays" to get in the HOF.

For receivers, it's all about the yards.  Ahead of him and not yet in the the HOF (current and former players) include:

Hines Ward, Brandon Marshall, AB, Julio Jones, Tory Holt, Boldin, Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith and Larry Fitzgerald.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He'll have to play many many more "todays" to get in the HOF.

For receivers, it's all about the yards.  Ahead of him and not yet in the the HOF (current and former players) include:

Hines Ward, Brandon Marshall, AB, Julio Jones, Tory Holt, Boldin, Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith and Larry Fitzgerald.

I hear ya, but barring injury he'll accumulate the stats to get in in about 3 seasons.  Evans is currently only 10 TDs off of guys like Hines Ward, Brandon Marshall and Steve Smith and he's already ahead of Holt, Andre Johnson and Julio.  He also has a Super Bowl ring, which some of the others do not.

It's looking like he'll finish his career as only the 9th WR in history with 100+ TDs and then there's the 1,000 yard streak.  He may have a wait, but he'll get in.

• Like (+1) 2

We are about to find out how much Aaron Rodgers helped Adams in Green Bay. 

Selfishly I am rooting for Adams, AJ Brown and Hill to all have down years because I think the WR market has gone insane and still think it is mostly about the QB.

That said, Carr isn’t some journeyman level QB. He is certainly capable of producing big numbers with Adams. Heck, they did it together back at Fresno State. I like Carr too so it would be nice to see him do well. Especially in that division.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.