Gabe Davis named breakout candidate for 2022

BillsFan619

Let me start off by saying that I love Gabe Davis. I think he’s a good threat for our offense.

The article got me thinking though and I wonder what my fellow bills mafia thinks.

Do you think Gabe is up for the challenge of being a #2WR?

Or, was he a better suited for that #3 or #4 WR role where he just dominates? Having Cole and Emmanuel out on the field definitely didn’t hurt.

Thoughts?

Here’s the article if you want to read it.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/bills-gabriel-davis-named-breakout-124416682.html

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, StHustle said:

#2??? The actual only question in my mind is can he become a #1b type player. Oh he DEFINITELY has what it takes to be a dominant #2...one of the best in the league

agreed. Not sure where his ceiling is, but he already seems like a solid #2 at the very least.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

I thought he broke out last year.?

How does Gabe Davis break out every year? 

Josh F#@$ckin Allen. 

That's how. 

I guess he just needs a five touchdown playoff game to be considered a breakout player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 7

"Whichever you consider Davis, broken out already or poised to do so next year, it all comes down to that playoff game."

He's already done it.  Move on.  It doesn't come down to the next playoff game.  The toe drags, making tough catches,  and not dropping balls.... this guy is a consistent receiver. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

In 3 years, Gabe Davis is going to become a very rich man.

It will have already happened in 2 years, innit?

He will have completed his 4th and final season on his rookie deal, and will most likely have already been signed to his first extension or his first free agency deal, (or I guess his first franchise or transition tag) in Buffalo or elsewhere by May of 2024. 

Those who argue that Davis has ALREADY broken out get my vote. The entire league has TAPE of Gabriel Davis producing as a dangerous boundary receiver. The only question now is will the player stay healthy enough to produce like that for a full season. He has been hindered by injury at points of both seasons to date, and likely as a result, I recall a game or two last season where Davis was NOT on the same page as Allen on intermediate and deep routes (maybe due to complexity of option-heavy route concepts and missed reps). That last Jets game, for sure, and maybe the Colts? Who knows how Dorsey will tweak the usage of option routes in 2022? 

I’m just greeedy. I want three outside WRs…. So you rotate the three. And then you have slot WRs….

We have two, we need three….Another reason is to have depth. So you can keep going should one go down.

Sure, we have players that can go outside but they’re not outside players. We’ll probably have to find out at some point whether the slot guys, TEs or Cook can play outside and get us out of a jam. I actually like Khalil the best to go outside if Diggs or Davis goes down for any reason.

• Like (+1) 1

With the insane toe tapping impossible sideline catches that seem to be his bread and butter, I have to be honest that I’ve been most impressed with his development over any of the rest in our WR corps…convince me that he’s not on a future WR 1 trajectory already?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

With the insane toe tapping impossible sideline catches that seem to be his bread and butter, I have to be honest that I’ve been most impressed with his development over any of the rest in our WR corps…convince me that he’s not on a future WR 1 trajectory already?

This.  He "broke out" in the last two minutes of the first half against the Colts in the Wild Card game in his rookie season.  If anyone didn't know before that, they did then.

• Like (+1) 5

This will be one of the most interesting scenarios to play out.  Gabe has played great but most of his plays have been in four WR sets.  You can't really say he has already proven to be a solid #2 because he has really never been in that role.  You can say he has produced as well or better in his role as the #2 guy, but he has never consistently lined up against the other teams #2 CB.  It's not that simple of course.  But I'm just saying the game plan was not to feed him the ball.  I don't know if he has enough raw speed to dominate in the #2 role.  He certainly has the hands and he has enough size to match up well against most corners. 

All that being said, I think the offense will be better if Knox emerges as the true #2 receiving threat.  If Knox can get to 75-80 catches and 900-1000 yards receiving the offense will be unstoppable.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.