Shady puts Bienemy on blast as to why he never gets hired as a Head Coach

Big Turk

I'm going to take this with a grain of salt.  Shady was on his way out of the league during his time in KC and was probably lobbying for more playing time.

If I hear similar accounts from more KC players, then I'll take it more seriously.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gugny said:

Not a great look for Shady.  Not doubting that he's telling the truth, though.

I think it is ok.  I have heard him say before that sometimes there are reasons beyond race that some black coaches don't get hired.  If true, this definitely supports that statement.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Yeah, not necessarily a scrub. Reid being the real OC hurts him but others have been in similar situations and gotten head coaching jobs.  So there must be other things (like this) if he’s not.  

Growing number of people have never called plays OR been an OC even and gotten hired as head coach.

• Eyeroll 1

38 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I have no info on him.  I assumed the obvious:  he doesn't get hired because every GM knows he doesn't run that Offense.  So why would they want him as HC?  And why would McCoy bring it up 2 years later? 

Usually players say things because they are asked about it or it relates to the topic they are talking about.

As for Bienemy, I have also heard he interviews very poorly, and I read an article awhile ago that painted him in a pretty poor light as far as his impact on the team and friction he has caused. I also find it strange that Reid has been so vocal about him leaving for a HC gig, like he almost wants to be rid of him or something. But that could all be hearsay.

I don't know too much about it. I have no reason to believe that McCoy isn't speaking truthfully, though.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, MJS said:

Usually players say things because they are asked about it or it relates to the topic they are talking about.

As for Bienemy, I have also heard he interviews very poorly, and I read an article awhile ago that painted him in a pretty poor light as far as his impact on the team and friction he has caused. I also find it strange that Reid has been so vocal about him leaving for a HC gig, like he almost wants to be rid of him or something. But that could all be hearsay.

I don't know too much about it. I have no reason to believe that McCoy isn't speaking truthfully, though.

McCoy brought it up.

Also, what is he speaking truthfully about here?  That Bieniemy is a a-hole (sure could be true)...or that he KNOWS that's why he isn't getting a HC job?

If it's the latter, who told him this?  

4 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I think it is ok.  I have heard him say before that sometimes there are reasons beyond race that some black coaches don't get hired.  If true, this definitely supports that statement.  

^^^ exactly the reason anyone is getting oddly fired up over a mild comment

• Agree 1

The dude is known as SHADY for a reason, people.

He throws shade always. He also throws praise. No matter what, though, from what I've witnessed, the dude really likes to hold court. Command the conch shell, if you will. Bogart the mic. Not a ton of NFL players or personnel are as free with their unflattering opinions in mixed company. I've been in close proximity with McCoy and his teammates on more than one occasion where Shady was entertaining the room with animated digs at other guys around the league. And he's funny while he does it. Guys respond to it. But he's also arrogant about it*.

*More so when he first arrived in Buffalo. 

Richie Incognito, Doug Whaley, and Russ Brandon were the only other Bills who were similarly "loose" with the hot takes outside school (read: in front of my dumb arse while out to dinner at team functions or just generally). I once watched Kerry Collins give a diplomatic but ultimately critical take on Vince Young while they were teammates in Tennessee. Jason Garrett had asked him point blank, across the dinner table (that also included Jay Cutler, a high profile player I'm forgetting, and the heads of like ESPN and whatever recording label owned George Strait in 2009), what the deal was with Young. Collins eventually called him "an every now and then guy. Every now and then in practice he does something that makes you go 'wow'." The insinuation very clearly being that most of the time...not so much. 

Shady isn't similarly careful. No positivity sandwich with his spilled tea.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Growing number of people have never called plays OR been an OC even and gotten hired as head coach.

7 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

who?   

seems risky to do.  

The only recent hires I can think of who were never OC or DC are three who just got fired, Joe Judge, David Culley, and Brian Flores.

Judge was special teams coordinator for the Pats, Culley was assistant head coach for the Ravens, and Flores called defensive plays for the Pats but never had the DC title.

It is more accurate to say there has been a lot of recent hires with very limited OC or DC experience. For example, Zac Taylor was only interim OC for 5 games for the Dolphins before he was hired as head coach for the Bengals although he was OC for a year at the University of Cincinnati. There's a lot of recent hires who only had one year experience as coordinator.

Edited by Billy Claude

10 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I was wrong,  I really thought Shady was going to make it in radio.........

You're probably referring to his short stint on NFLR one morning a week.  I thought his candid opinions were refreshing, but not sure what to make of his take on the Coach.  Shady was washed up by the time he made it to Chiefs.  Bienemy could’ve been riding him as he wasn’t putting in the effort, or could be a jerk.

Its a bad call to air dirty laundry in the media.  Reid and Bienemy won’t reply at all so you get a guy about to be forcibly retired by the NFL to trash him.  

I don’t have an opinion as there is. I way to know.

Add me to the list of people who aren't at all surprised by this.  People who are in a much better position than me to know have been saying for years that there are good reasons why Bienemy hasn't gotten a HC gig, and it's not just because he doesn't call plays or is the "wrong" race.  In particular, I don't think it would be wise to make Bienemy the go-to example of "minority coaches not getting a fair shake."  That narrative may have some validity for other ACs, but probably not this one.

im not interested (much) in the personal lives or takes of nfl people, but i am interested in how they work together and create a dynamic, which ultimately leads to wins and losses IMO.  this kind of gossip to me is actually sports info, and richard noggins take (no idea what his relationship w these people is, but i buy it and i like it!) gives me some color.

i will say, i listened to that podcast blurb at that link, and people raising their voices, talking over each other, and most of all more than one person speaking at once just ruins a broadcast.  i think this is what keeps jocks and athletes from having bigger podcast empires, they sort of need to be cool or dominant, and just don't focus on putting out a product vs having what at the time to them is an exciting convo.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.