Kaepernick workout with Raiders...NFL encouraging teams to give him workouts

Big Turk

30 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Good. If he can play, he can play. Give him a chance. 

Never been a question of if he could play. He assuredly is a better backup QB than what's on many NFL rosters 

The issue is no team wants a media circus surrounding a backup QB and forcing all the other players to get asked questions on a daily basis about him.

If he was like Josh Allen and having a media circus, teams would deal with it because he is worth it.

But he isn't worth it as a backup QB and I can't say I blame them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5

8 hours ago, Santana said:

The raiders had so many terrible off the field issues last season, Kaepernick wouldn't even come close to being that kind of distraction. And they also had a player come out and say that he was openly gay. I think they'll be fine, they handled everything that was thrown at them really well.

"Dealt with" are the key words.

No one could have predicted Ruggs to Have that incident.

They would be openly taking on a big distraction if they signed kapernick, where the other two Incidents you brought up, they had no choice to handle them as it happened early season. 

• Like (+1) 1

Raiders-Colin-Kaepernick-2022-NFL-Free-A

https://clutchpoints.com/raiders-news-the-result-for-colin-kaepernicks-workout-with-las-vegas-revealed/

Tweet

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

On Colin Kaepernick’s workout with the #Raiders: Sounds like it went well and he impressed. The door is open…

In other words, there’s a good chance that Kaepernick could be the newest quarterback of the Raiders, but he won’t be the starter.

Really mixed feelings on all of this. Kaepernick made a choice to stand up for what he believed in. That led to him essentially being black balled. It also led to him making a bigger impact on the world than he ever would have as the 49ers QB or some back up QB. How many have come and gone since? Do people remember those players? So I guess I don't know if I ever looked at this as overly unfair. It was predictably unfair, which is part of the reason he did it to begin with. I'm glad he's getting looked at. I remember him against Boise State in some very memorable games. I still think he was more a Roman product IE Taylor, not so much Lamar, but ya, he would have stuck in the league if he did not make history.

I think he can be a good change of pace QB for the Raiders, how they used Mariota. Possibly a good back up.  

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Kaps days as starter is over but he could make a very good backup.

What if the starter gets injured and Kap leads them to a deep playoff run ?

What if the starter gets injured and Kap plays a couple games well and the starter is then cleared to return?  Cue the drama.

Edited by The Red King
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Never been a question of if he could play. He assuredly is a better backup QB than what's on many NFL rosters 

The issue is no team wants a media circus surrounding a backup QB and forcing all the other players to get asked questions on a daily basis about him.

If he was like Josh Allen and having a media circus, teams would deal with it because he is worth it.

But he isn't worth it as a backup QB and I can't say I blame them.

Based on what?  You haven't seen him play in 6 years, so exactly how are you assuring us this is true?

• Like (+1) 4

22 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I agree with everything except the part about QBs that aren’t justified in being on a roster...if players are on a roster, coaches and GMs felt it was justified, regardless of what fans think...

That's good. At least we know your stance will change if he signs somewhere.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think there's probably some truth to the arguments that Kaepernick isn't very good, but then I remember that Mike Glennon and his neck played as recently as last year. Heck, teams STILL give Nick Foles millions of dollars to not play just because he was somewhat above average 7 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if Kaep has lost a step, but when teams are still signing guys like Glennon, Foles, and Peterman, it's hard to argue that he doesn't at least deserve a chance. There are some truly awful QBs employed in this league, the bottom completely falls out after about the top 25 or so.

Edited by Nelius
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Beerball said:

That's good. At least we know your stance will change if he signs somewhere.

I just don’t feel, as some do, that Kaepernick is OWED anything...if teams want to hire them, good for them...in their minds, it might be justified, and that’s their prerogative...👍

Edited by JaCrispy

14 hours ago, without a drought said:

If this is what media circuses are made of, I can't wait for the Watson and the Browns.

But now you see the difference...

The Browns are willing to deal with it because Watson is an elite player when he plays.

Kaep is not.

6 hours ago, Nelius said:

I think there's probably some truth to the arguments that Kaepernick isn't very good, but then I remember that Mike Glennon and his neck played as recently as last year. Heck, teams STILL give Nick Foles millions of dollars to not play just because he was somewhat above average 7 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if Kaep has lost a step, but when teams are still signing guys like Glennon, Foles, and Peterman, it's hard to argue that he doesn't at least deserve a chance. There are some truly awful QBs employed in this league, the bottom completely falls out after about the top 25 or so.

But none of those players are causing massive disruptions and having media circuses on the team.

Also, maybe some of the players wouldn't like what he did so it could cause divide in the locker room as well...

As a backup QB you should aid team chemistry, not be a detriment to it.

Edited by Big Turk

2 hours ago, stuvian said:

Can't help but think that floating Kaepernick is a revenge play by the Raiders NFL about the Gruden debacle

Fixed that.

This is all just more theater directed by the NFL to both dominate the news cycle as other sports are in the thick of their playoff battles AND to make a show of their newfound good will toward players and their social concerns.  As he was 6 years ago, Kaepernick is being used again by the NFL for purposes of propaganda--now having him grovel for a backup job. so they can look magnanimous.

He's totally fine with this.  

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Eyeroll 1

On 5/26/2022 at 8:55 PM, BUFFALOBART said:

Nothing more American, than standing up for your beliefs, even in widespread public adversity.

If he gets a job in his chosen profession, good for him!

He turned his standing up for his beliefs into a brand, got a lot of endorsements, made good coin. While enduring scorn from some, he also received and continues to receive adulation. Lots of folks who stand up for their beliefs only get the scorn. I think the NFL is amoral enough, if the dude can play, he'll get a job.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.