Kaepernick workout with Raiders...NFL encouraging teams to give him workouts

Big Turk

He wasn't good at football 5 years ago. The only thing he could do is scramble. Now he's older and slower. This is just a PR stunt. There are really good college QB's that go undrafted that deserve a shot over this washed up clown. Guys like Kurt Warner weren't even given a chance out of school let alone as many chances as this guy has when he has already shown to be completely ungrateful of the opportunity

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Distracting to a portion of the fans. He doesn't seem distracting to a team.

I'm not so sure. 

Do you remember the gay LB that the Rams (I think) drafted a few years ago? I remember thinking that the guy was a fairly decent player in college but when he got to camp, he was awful. Well, he was in the news for quite some time, no? 

I think that CK, with his past, his upbringing, his apparent obstinance, and what seems to be a chip on his shoulder is much more of a conversation piece and more newsworthy to the media than a man who just happens to be gay. CK might serve as a distraction to a coach who is trying to instill a certain group mentality to his team.

Also, is CK a chronic malcontent? I don't know but if he is, I would not want to coach him, especially given his apparent lack of talent.

Of course, jmo.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm not buying any of this "it would be too much of a distraction" talk.

Pretty simple -- coaches and GMs start their press conferences with "I'm not answering any questions about Colin Kaepernick.  We signed him with the hope he can help our team win football games."

I just can't take anyone seriously who says CK didn't deserve an opportunity to play in this league considering the absolute dogschitt we've seen at the QB position over the past five years (particularly backups).

He was blackballed and there's really no legitimate debate on that issue unless someone can prove to me that he turned down backup-level contract offers because he insisted on starting.  I'm pretty sure that didn't happen.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

He must have enjoyed the plantation...😉

Strange that he’s working to rejoin the league he once criticized and called slavery as opposed to joining one of the other pro football leagues. 

It’s almost as if he’s willing to overlook certain things if it means he’d get the most money and exposure in the NFL? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

NFL "encouraging" teams to give him a try?

I guess the league mandated black ball period has officially expired.

What a f-ing joke.

39 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

He wasn't good at football 5 years ago. The only thing he could do is scramble. Now he's older and slower. This is just a PR stunt. There are really good college QB's that go undrafted that deserve a shot over this washed up clown. Guys like Kurt Warner weren't even given a chance out of school let alone as many chances as this guy has when he has already shown to be completely ungrateful of the opportunity

Have you ever heard of a player named Nathan Peterman?

He has never been anything other than "so bad, he can't compete at the NFL level."

And yet HE is still kicking around this league! 

Kaep was totally black balled b/c he made too much fuss for the Man.

Period.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 2

39 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

What a f-ing joke.

He has never been anything other than "so bad, he can't compete at the NFL level."

Period.

Yeah the scroll on ESPN yesterday said the NFL was encouraging teams to give him workouts.

I have ambivalent feelings about Kap. I think he offers little as a positive as a football player. Yet, I've always agreed with his stance for social justice. As weird as it sounds, I wouldn't mind him in a Bills uniform. I know its a bad football idea but something in me still wants him in the Bills' uniform. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I'm not so sure. 

Do you remember the gay LB that the Rams (I think) drafted a few years ago? I remember thinking that the guy was a fairly decent player in college but when he got to camp, he was awful. Well, he was in the news for quite some time, no? 

I think that CK, with his past, his upbringing, his apparent obstinance, and what seems to be a chip on his shoulder is much more of a conversation piece and more newsworthy to the media than a man who just happens to be gay. CK might serve as a distraction to a coach who is trying to instill a certain group mentality to his team.

Also, is CK a chronic malcontent? I don't know but if he is, I would not want to coach him, especially given his apparent lack of talent.

Of course, jmo.

I am sure - has not played in 6 (SIX) seasons !

NFL Pipedream

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

I'm not buying any of this "it would be too much of a distraction" talk.

Pretty simple -- coaches and GMs start their press conferences with "I'm not answering any questions about Colin Kaepernick.  We signed him with the hope he can help our team win football games."

I just can't take anyone seriously who says CK didn't deserve an opportunity to play in this league considering the absolute dogschitt we've seen at the QB position over the past five years (particularly backups).

He was blackballed and there's really no legitimate debate on that issue unless someone can prove to me that he turned down backup-level contract offers because he insisted on starting.  I'm pretty sure that didn't happen.

I agree he was blackballed, I don’t think lack of talent had anything to him not being in the league. Then again, I have no problem with what happened to him either. :lol: 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

I agree he was blackballed, I don’t think lack of talent had anything to him not being in the league. Then again, I have no problem with what happened to him either. :lol: 

Yeah I find it likely that, unofficially, the teams kind of made it clear to each other that the talent didn’t outweigh the baggage. 

Then throw in the whole thing with the ravens a couple years ago it kicks the can down the road some more. 

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Strange that he’s working to rejoin the league he once criticized and called slavery as opposed to joining one of the other pro football leagues. 

It’s almost as if he’s willing to overlook certain things if it means he’d get the most money and exposure in the NFL? 

Yeah.  I generally support people who make a political stand they feel strongly about as long as he’s willing to live with the consequences.  

After the workout snuff, the  settled lawsuit with the NFL, the Nike deal, and the Netflix show where he compared the NFL draft combine to slavery.  I think if he does get signed as a backup he’ll continue to be a provocateur with his politics and won’t be focused on football.  

I’d avoid signing him as he’s not worth the headache.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Rico said:

At least you're honest.  Seriously; that's refreshing!!

• Like (+1) 1

It seems to me that NFL isn't any different than any other business.  If an employee's behavior, actions or opinions potentially offend the customers,  the business may just decide that the negatives outweigh the positives and that the employee isn't worth keeping around,  even if they're otherwise good at their job.

Edited by Brandon
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I have ambivalent feelings about Kap. I think he offers little as a positive as a football player. Yet, I've always agreed with his stance for social justice. As weird as it sounds, I wouldn't mind him in a Bills uniform. I know its a bad football idea but something in me still wants him in the Bills' uniform. 

I don't think he is a great QB but he certainly is better than the majority of the backups in the league.

But I also can't blame teams that don't want a 3 ring circus around their team for a backup caliber player.

If they are going to put up with that it's going to be for someone who is talented enough to warrant it.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Brandon said:

It seems to me that NFL isn't any different than any other business.  If an employee's behavior, actions or opinions potentially offend the customers,  the business may just decide that the negatives outweigh the positives and that the employee isn't worth keeping around,  even if they're otherwise good at their job.

That's exactly what the situation has been, IMO. And exactly what Shady McCoy was referring to.

17 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Distraction for who? Distracting to fans? Because I've never heard of teammates having any issues with him.

The moment the starter struggles, there will be calls to put him in.  Hell, if the starter is mediocre there will be calls.  And if he isn't put in, there will be people saying the team is discriminating against him.

If he does go in and plays poor or mediocre does he get pulled?  If he does, again, people will claim he's being discriminated against.

All of that is a hefty distraction teams don't need.  Is it fair to Kap?  No.  It's actually out of his hands to even control now.

Look beyond right and wrong.  Don't tell me what should happen, or who deserves what.   Can you honestly claim the scenarios I laid out above aren't valid?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

What a f-ing joke.

Period.

Yes and No.

There is no doubt that Kaep is better than Peterman.  None at all.   And, btw, even though I'm a veteran who will stand for the flag every time, I respect Kaepernick's right to free speech and his effort to bring attention to an important issue.

But if you had a franchise QB - Josh Allen for example - how badly would you want Kaep as the backup?  Consider how much Allen's backups have played.  What kind of backup do you want?  Yeah, you want someone who can play if need be.  But you also want someone that's going to be a good advisor to Allen and a good teammate all around.    

If I was a GM or HC, part of me would want to sign Kaep because he does have talent.  But I'd have concerns, too.  Allen puts his team first.  Kaep puts his social causes first.  That makes him a good human being but it doesn't make him a guy you want on the roster.  

If I was a GM or HC with a crappy starter, I'd probably sign Kaep and let him compete.  But if I had a franchise guy like Allen or Mahomes, I'd stay away from Kaep.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.