Kaepernick workout with Raiders...NFL encouraging teams to give him workouts

Big Turk

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nah.

No one cares about kneeling or not kneeling anymore.  Players in every sports league are allowed to express themselves.  The NFL is all in on social justice awareness.

The fact that a guy who has been out of the league for several years and he is one of the top headlines for a tryout shows he's still a major topic.

I agree that people don't care about the kneeling as much now but he's still the figure head behind it.  If EJ Manuel got a try out with the Seahawks, would anyone care?  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

For the team because half the questions the media will ask the players/coaches all year will be on kaepernick.

The raiders had so many terrible off the field issues last season, Kaepernick wouldn't even come close to being that kind of distraction. And they also had a player come out and say that he was openly gay. I think they'll be fine, they handled everything that was thrown at them really well.

• Agree 1

At best he could be a back up & then the circus that will follow him why would you want that kind of distraction in camp doesn't make a bunch of sense especially seeing as he hasn't played in such a long time or even tried seeing as there is the USFL now .

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Think Tim Tebow 2.0. Sadly Kaepernick is polarizing to some for his kneeling to the flag, personally I had no issue with it but others do.

Distracting to a portion of the fans. He doesn't seem distracting to a team.

• Eyeroll 1

10 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

It is a privilege that numerous other lesser quarterbacks have enjoyed since the year Kaepernick was blackballed for having inconvenient opinions. You cutting his career in half and not even mentioning some of the straight up garbage QBs employed by NFL teams since that blackballing proves everything I need to know about you and your level of understanding of this. 

LOL!

17 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Distracting to a portion of the fans. He doesn't seem distracting to a team.

Unless the media asks players for comments on what he doing etc. It can be a distraction and/or some teams just don't want to be in a media circus, I see McDermott like that whereas someone like Rex Ryan loves being in one. 

29 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think McCoy said it best.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/lesean-mccoy-colin-kaepernick-not-talented-enough-distraction

RCHARD PARK, N.Y.  -- Buffalo Bills running back LeSean McCoy believes one reason teams haven't signed quarterback Colin Kaepernick is because he represents too much of a distraction for a player who would likely be a backup.

"It's a lot more than just he's not on the team because he doesn't want to stand for the national anthem," McCoy said at his locker on Thursday. "That may have something to do with it, but I think also it has a lot to do with his play."

Kaepernick remains unsigned after opting out of his contract with the San Francisco 49ers after last season. Some fans have complained that he is not with a team because owners and the NFL are punishing him for refusing to stand for the national anthem to protest police brutality against blacks.

"There's certain players that could be on the team with big distractions, and there's other players that it's not good enough or not worth it," McCoy said.

He said it's easier on teams to take on a distraction if it involves a star player such as Patriots quarterback Tom Brady or New York Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr. He said that's not the case with Kaepernick because Kaepernick would have difficulty making some rosters.

"He's really not that good of a player, you know what I'm saying?" he said.

This is a fair take on the situation. If the anthem issue wasn't an issue, I think Kaep was probably a guy who fights for a backup job each year.

Should he have had opportunities purely for football? Probably. But his talent doesn't really justify the distraction (right or wrong)

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For those who forgot their own chosen narrative, Kaepernick was benched for Blaine Gabbert in the preseason before his crusade. He didn't dress and sat on the bench for the national anthem during the second preseason game. No one noticed. He did it again in the third preseason game. The media noticed the second time. The final preseason game is when he knelt for the first time.

He only became a crusader when he was called out for poor sportsmanship and a bad look for a former franchise QB. Suddenly, there was bigger fish to fry. Now that he had free time, he literally couldn't stand for something that had been apparently nagging him forever. He can believe what he wants, he's entitled to it. But your cause may not be a backpedal. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Unless the media asks players for comments on what he doing etc. It can be a distraction and/or some teams just don't want to be in a media circus, I see McDermott like that whereas someone like Rex Ryan loves being in one. 

Getting some questions about a teammate in a media session is not a "distraction." A distraction would be an actual toxic teammate. It could be a distraction for Derek Carr if his job is in jeopardy (which it honestly should be because they're not going anywhere with him.)

1 minute ago, LeGOATski said:

Getting some questions about a teammate in a media session is not a "distraction." A distraction would be an actual toxic teammate. It could be a distraction for Derek Carr if his job is in jeopardy (which it honestly should be because they're not going anywhere with him.)

So I guess you didn't mind Tim Tebow? I for one would hate to be his teammate.  Again not so much as the player but the media circus that surrounds him. 

Edited by The Jokeman

10 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

This is a fair take on the situation. If the anthem issue wasn't an issue, I think Kaep was probably a guy who fights for a backup job each year.

Should he have had opportunities purely for football? Probably. But his talent doesn't really justify the distraction (right or wrong)

And this isn't nearly the circus it was 5 years ago, hence him getting a tryout now.

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

So I guess you didn't mind Tim Tebow? I for one would hate to be his teammate.  Again not so much as the player but the media circus that surrounds him. 

Players don't care. Players were fine with Tebow as a teammate. Fans, media, the team front office, on the other hand. They care. Like Shady said in that quote above, the team has to decide if they want the specific attention that player brings to their brand.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The fact that a guy who has been out of the league for several years and he is one of the top headlines for a tryout shows he's still a major topic.

I agree that people don't care about the kneeling as much now but he's still the figure head behind it.  If EJ Manuel got a try out with the Seahawks, would anyone care?  

what I meant was he wouldn't be very controversial roster spot due to the fact that the kneeling controversy has lost nearly all of its steam over the years. 

That leaves a more likely reason for his still struggling to get looks by the NFL being that teams feel he was on a significant decline before he left the league and hasn't played football in 6 years.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Players don't care. Players were fine with Tebow as a teammate. Fans, media, the team front office, on the other hand. They care. Like Shady said in that quote above, the team has to decide if they want the specific attention that player brings to their brand.

I get that the juice ain't worth the squeeze sometimes.

I think back to when the Eagles signed Vick, knowing there would be scrutiny.  But Vick was still a legitimate starter in the league and they felt that it was worth the circus it would bring.

Kaep's problem, initially, was that he wanted to be a starter and make starting QB money at a time during which his stock had fallen due to his on-field play.

However, I firmly believe that he WAS blackballed, because over the years, many teams went into seasons with starting QBs who were clearly worse than Colin Kaepernick ... including the Bills.

And here we are in 2022, seeing a sexual predator get a megadeal.  Seeing multiple woman abusers getting big contracts. 

We've seen players like Tyreek Hill and Joe Mixon beat the daylights out of their girlfriends, then get drafted high a year or two later.

Yet someone takes a stand against social injustice ... harming literally not one person on the planet ... and we watch teams start QBs like Nate Peterman, Jarrett Stidham, Tua Tonguoulahla;jhsda;fha, Gardner Minshew, Mason Rudolph, etc.  That is pathetic.

Again ... I understand not wanting the negative attention (all because he took a knee during a song) and I get that he was not an elite starting QB.  But to say that ZERO teams giving him a shot to compete is solely because of his play, to me, is pretty silly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 hours ago, JoPoy88 said:

It is a privilege that numerous other lesser quarterbacks have enjoyed since the year Kaepernick was blackballed for having inconvenient opinions. You cutting his career in half and not even mentioning some of the straight up garbage QBs employed by NFL teams since that blackballing proves everything I need to know about you and your level of understanding of this. 

Very tolerant...well done.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.