How Much Is an Order of Chicken Wings Where You At?

Gugny

35 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Thanks to a previous thread about wings, I decided to try making my own. I bought a package of fresh wings (flats and drumetts separated) for about $3/lb. (Frozen wings were about the same price.) Marinated them in red wine vinegar, grilled 'em, and tossed 'em in a bowl with Frank's RedHot. They were excellent, although not very crispy. (Not soggy, just not crispy.) Had leftovers, so the next night I reheated them on the grill, and they were crispier. Next time I'll put them back on the grill after applying the sauce.

And we recently bought a range with an air fry feature, so I'm gonna make wings in that too.

Toss them in some rice flour if you want the outside to get a bit crispier. It works in the deep fryer and air fryer. I'd imagine it would help on the grill as well. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Anywhere from $13-25. It's freaking ridiculous. There are some places listing them at "market price", like they're king crab legs.

But... They are like king crab legs.  Both a finite resource. Like I said above, @ one time nobody wanted lobster... Had to foist that ***** off on prisoners.  Same thing is happening to wings.  They used to throw wings out too...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Geneticists are busy working on 4 winged chickens.

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Madden made six-legged turkeys, so I guess anything's possible.

That invention caused intense fear of flying.  Since domestic chickens like domestic turkeys do not fly I guess that is okay.

Noticed turkey wing prices have gone up in price a lot as well.

And at Jimmy's Old Town Tavern, my Bills bar, for an order of 8:

image.thumb.png.2ffd43394ea27661eb0f38dc3cd15851.png

I haven't ordered wings in probably 25 years.  I wouldn't know what they cost in my area.  

They don't really appeal to me at age 51; it's kind of crap, greasy, bad food.

(I ate hundreds of them, and lots of pizza, when I was a kid growing up in WNY though!).

11 hours ago, Gugny said:

Without getting into WHY wings are more expensive, the bottom line is that they are.

What I've noticed since this recent increase is that restaurants are either listing FAIR MARKET PRICE on the menu, or - lately - just putting a crazy price on there.

Over the past several months, I've had wings on multiple occasions.

I'm not sure about where you live, but where I am (Saratoga/Lake George region), a dozen wings is unheard of and has been for years.  The standard is now 10.

In the last two weeks alone, I've noticed two different establishments now serving 8 wings as an order.  The average price is about $16.

I talked myself into being okay with paying $16 for 10 wings.

I even got duped into getting 8 wings for $16 last weekend.  The bartender/server told me that they were bigger and meatier than the average wing.  The little slut lied right through her teeth. They were standard wings and I paid $2/each.  Never going THERE again.

Interested to know others' local trends.

The first and most obvious question is how you know she’s a slut. You have a bit of a reputation yourself!  😋

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

Schroon Lake (the lake and the area) is beautiful.  My son and I rented a cabin in Johnsburgh last year and loved it.

Yeah .. I know cheap wings are a thing of the past, for sure!  But anything less than 10 in an order is ridiculous to me.

$15 for ten wings at this time, to me, is something I'm okay paying.  Not happy .. but okay.

I find the smallest orders to be 5-6 wings where I go, and I’m actually good with that. I just can’t pound wings the way I used to, and with a small order I often have one or two left over. I’m a lightweight in so many ways. 🤷‍♂️

13 hours ago, Gugny said:

What I've noticed since this recent increase is that restaurants are either listing FAIR MARKET PRICE on the menu, or - lately - just putting a crazy price on there.

Prices for chicken wing. Now unfathomable.

But, then, anyone who shops and pays with out of pocket money for groceries, must feel mortified.

Price of food becoming a jump off cliff vibe.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Smoked ones with a side of cottage cheese is the most economical way to go. 

Just sayin’

Smoked wings, yes.

Cottage cheese ... I'd rather eat Roseanne Barr's ass.

• Vomit 1

2 hours ago, DasNootz said:

Northern NY 

$0.50/wing +- from the local butcher shop vacuum sealed

$1.25-1.50 at local bars/restaurants.

I did just see an ad for “wing night” $10/dozen.  That’s the lowest I’ve seen in a while.  

Where in NY?  I haven't seen $10/dozen in YEARS!

20 hours ago, WhoTom said:

And we recently bought a range with an air fry feature, so I'm gonna make wings in that too.

My SIL makes wings in the air fryer and they are great.  

On 5/25/2022 at 9:44 AM, Gugny said:

Without getting into WHY wings are more expensive, the bottom line is that they are.

Over the past several months, I've had wings on multiple occasions.

I'm not sure about where you live, but where I am (Saratoga/Lake George region), a dozen wings is unheard of and has been for years.  The standard is now 10.

In the last two weeks alone, I've noticed two different establishments now serving 8 wings as an order.  The average price is about $16.

I talked myself into being okay with paying $16 for 10 wings.

I even got duped into getting 8 wings for $16 last weekend.  The bartender/server told me that they were bigger and meatier than the average wing.  The little slut lied right through her teeth. They were standard wings and I paid $2/each.  Never going THERE again.

Interested to know others' local trends.

$15 for 10 is pretty much standard here. I see a lot of menus heavily promoting "boneless" wings.  (Buffalo)

I just bought a dozen (precooked) at BJ's for 10.99 + a $3 dollar coupon off. 

I don't need wings at $15 that bad.

1970's - Fridays at Broadway Joe's - 10 cents wings and drafts  ;)

Edited by Bob Lamb

23 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

But... They are like king crab legs.  Both a finite resource. Like I said above, @ one time nobody wanted lobster... Had to foist that ***** off on prisoners.  Same thing is happening to wings.  They used to throw wings out too...

Don’t have to go to the Bering Sea for Chicken though. 

On 5/26/2022 at 8:24 PM, DrW said:

Just bought some today freshly prepared in our local supermarket chain (United/Market Street). $9 per lb, which turned out to be ~ $ 0.90 per wing (they are pretty large).

Bought some yesterday at our local supermarket (Hannaford) at $3.99/lb.  I haven't opened them yet, but they're mostly very good sized flats.  I'm estimating it's close to 60 wings (I bought two packages totaling about 8 lbs.).  I'll update when I have the actual totals, but I'm prepping them today to throw them in the smoker tomorrow.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.