Video: Bills Sights & Sounds from OTAs

On 5/25/2022 at 7:57 AM, Shaw66 said:

I had a similar reaction.  He's not very big.  But some of that impression is that several of the shots of Miller had him standing next to Oliver and Rousseau.  Rousseau is SO long; if he can learn how to attack from Miller, he'll be a terror.   I'm not expecting that - if he evolves into a great player, he'll be great because of who he is more than because of what Miller might teach him.  But maybe I'm wrong.

More important to me is how lean these guys are.  McDermott wants athletes who are difficult to keep up with because of their mobility, rather than athletes who are difficult to move because of their size. 

I’ve met Von Miller in person.  I’m 6’4” and can tell you he felt big to me in person.  So I think it’s more the guys he’s next to are just big making him look smaller.  

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I’ve met Von Miller in person.  I’m 6’4” and can tell you he felt big to me in person.  So I think it’s more the guys he’s next to are just big making him look smaller.  

And Von Miller is small for a DE. He's played edge primarily as an OLB his entire career. 

As much as we've talked about 4-3 sets with Bernard, I could see Von playing OLB on the line rushing off the edge in 2wr sets and goal line formation in addition to having two DE's on the field. 

3 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

Leverage is everything on the Lines.  But our DT rotation of Phillips, Oliver, Settle and Jones (with say Ankou in reserve if one gets injured) should be as solid as any we have had in a long while 1-4.  And in the upper echelon in the entire league this year.

Just watching the guys back on the field is exciting.  Allen, Diggs, Miller, Rousseau, Milano, etc.  We have a hell of a roster top to bottom.  It is going to be an exciting year.  Can not wait!!  Go Bills.

Yeah I think we have to adjust expectations somewhat relative to the rest of the league.   Run stopping isn't a top priority so run stuffers are devalued and don't get paid much so there aren't going to be a lot of dominant one's.   Ted Washington's or even Snacks Harrison's aren't out there anymore.   Jones and Settle might be a really strong 1 tech combo by current league standards.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thanks.  I needed that touch of reality.  What was I thinking?

Still, he looked slim to me.  

In the 60s, some of these guys would put 30 pounds on in the off season, then spend weeks at camp sweating it off again.  Those days are gone.  These guys super fit when they show up for OTAs.  

3 hours ago, Motorin' said:

As much as we've talked about 4-3 sets with Bernard, I could see Von playing OLB on the line rushing off the edge in 2wr sets and goal line formation in addition to having two DE's on the field. 

That's interesting.  Two DEs and Von on the field at one time.  And sometimes, Rousseau will drop back into the shallow zones.  

Versatility, boys, that's what they're after. 

• Like (+1) 2

• Big Turk changed the title to Shady says "Josh Always Looking Out" --- QB1 prevents Ed Oliver from soaking Diggs with the old "loosened water bottle cap" trick.
12 hours ago, Big Turk said:

You know the thing I love most about this is that Ed Oliver is willing to try and prank Stefon Diggs. I think that is a small but important insight into a young man whose confidence is now at that "I belong" level. He sees himself as one of the most important pieces on this team. I really think he is going to have a monster year. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You know the thing I love most about this is that Ed Oliver is willing to try and prank Stefon Diggs. I think that is a small but important insight into a young man whose confidence is now at that "I belong" level. He sees himself as one of the most important pieces on this team. I really think he is going to have a monster year. 

Yeah Big Ed is a huge part of this team. That power, speed, quickness, aggressiveness and motor is unmatched. He’s going to have a massive season. 

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He’s also BIG enough to fold Diggs into a pretzel 🥨, now I’m hungry 😋 

• Agree 1

On 5/26/2022 at 2:40 PM, Motorin' said:

And Von Miller is small for a DE. He's played edge primarily as an OLB his entire career. 

Doubtful, Von doesn’t have much success in coverage. You line him up at LB you basically have 5 DL rushing the QB, putting extra stress on Milano and Edmunds. Lorenzo Alexander was able to figure it out, and Von definitely could too, but for now I think the better assumption is he is full time DE. 6’4’’ 250 isn’t awful, Jerry Hughes was smaller. 

32 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Doubtful, Von doesn’t have much success in coverage. You line him up at LB you basically have 5 DL rushing the QB, putting extra stress on Milano and Edmunds. Lorenzo Alexander was able to figure it out, and Von definitely could too, but for now I think the better assumption is he is full time DE. 6’4’’ 250 isn’t awful, Jerry Hughes was smaller. 

He is listed as a LB on the bills website, and he's been a LB he's whole career. So I guess we'll see.

3 hours ago, Motorin' said:

He is listed as a LB on the bills website, and he's been a LB he's whole career. So I guess we'll see.

True, but from the little evidence we have from OTAs, it looks like he’s been running with the DL. Typically 3-4 OLBs are 4-3 DEs, but Von does have the size and athleticism required for 43 LB, he’d be a mean SAM. 

Edited by TheyCallMeAndy
  • Like (+1) 1

On 5/25/2022 at 3:10 PM, Mark Vader said:

Miller is not a big guy compared to other DE's in this league.

Neither is Aaron Donald, there are quite a few players that are bigger than him. It's all about the skill set and the athletic traits, that separate these guys from other players.

Miller has been said to almost defy gravity with how low he can bend to get around the OT at full speed.

Donald has it all...power, speed, quickness...

9 hours ago, Motorin' said:

As silly as it sounds, Sal C has said he's listed as a LB so he can wear #40 (his college number). As a Defensive Lineman, you can only wear 50-79 or 90-99. If you've watched him (especially the past few years) - he doesn't line up anywhere else but the Edge.

He will not be playing Linebacker. Period. We don't run a 3-4 and even if we did, I don't see him rushing from that deep downfield at this stage in his career. 

On 5/25/2022 at 11:35 AM, Kwai San said:

Just goes to show how HUGE Groot is!!  If and this is a BIG IF he can put it all together he is going to be a STUD!

Why is it a BIG IF ?? 

6 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

As silly as it sounds, Sal C has said he's listed as a LB so he can wear #40 (his college number). As a Defensive Lineman, you can only wear 50-79 or 90-99. If you've watched him (especially the past few years) - he doesn't line up anywhere else but the Edge.

He will not be playing Linebacker. Period. We don't run a 3-4 and even if we did, I don't see him rushing from that deep downfield at this stage in his career. 

Yes, he's playing edge. What I'm saying is that he gives the D some flexibility to do different things. Imo, he's most effective rushing off the edge from the standing position. There were a number for times you'd see Addison rushing off the edge last season from the standing position, which left just 3 down lineman.

I'm hoping we'll try different alignments instead of rigidly adhering to nickel 4-3 on 95% of plays.

9 hours ago, Putin said:

Why is it a BIG IF ?? 

I like your optimism, love it in fact.  However NOTHING is guaranteed.  Not.  One.  Damn.  Thing.  I sure hope he is the real deal.....but we just do not know yet.  Do we?

On 5/26/2022 at 6:16 PM, Shaw66 said:

Thanks.  I needed that touch of reality.  What was I thinking?

Still, he looked slim to me.  

In the 60s, some of these guys would put 30 pounds on in the off season, then spend weeks at camp sweating it off again.  Those days are gone.  These guys super fit when they show up for OTAs.  

They don't have jobs in the offseason like the '60s

On 5/30/2022 at 3:53 AM, Rocky Landing said:

It's a petty gripe, but I don't like the new numbers with so many being single digits for so many different positions.

I don't mind it for the most part, but eventually its going to be difficult for a QB or K/P to get a number in single digits/teens. Every number below 20 is taken

3 K/P

3 QBs

7 WRs

1 TE

1 S

1 CB

1 LB

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.