Video: Bills Sights & Sounds from OTAs

Couple quick little notes from this clip:

- Found it interesting that they showed a quick run through of a line that featured Von Miller and Greg Rousseau on the Edges and Ed Oliver and Jordan Phillips in the middle. Could Phillips be getting a look at not only 1T, but starting 1T?

- Really cool to see Von showing Rousseau pointers already.

- It seems that Carlos Basham Jr. has switched to Jerry Hughes old number of #55.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 5

40 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

- Found it interesting that they showed a quick run through of a line that featured Von Miller and Greg Rousseau on the Edges and Ed Oliver and Jordan Phillips in the middle. Could Phillips be getting a look at not only 1T, but starting 1T?

That could be specifically a pass rushing set. Those four would be a terror together.

I doubt that is the normal starting four.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It's great to see Miller teaching the younger guys I think this D will be more number 1 then last years D & the offense will take another step which well i'll just have to wait & see the out come but i'm hyped to see just what this season will bring !! 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Am I the only one that was a little surprised that Von looked small compared to the rest of the dline?  In all the videos I have seen of him in free agency, etc. the guy looks huge.  Put him next to the rest of our dline and suddenly he looks on the smaller side.  I get that at edge you often play at a lower weight, but it still took me off guard.  

Don't take this the wrong way.  I am super stoked that he is on the team and excited to have him.  The guy is a hall of famer.  I guess this just meant that he plays way above his size or that the rest of our dline is abnormally large.

• Agree 4

25 minutes ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

Am I the only one that was a little surprised that Von looked small compared to the rest of the dline?  In all the videos I have seen of him in free agency, etc. the guy looks huge.  Put him next to the rest of our dline and suddenly he looks on the smaller side.  I get that at edge you often play at a lower weight, but it still took me off guard.  

Don't take this the wrong way.  I am super stoked that he is on the team and excited to have him.  The guy is a hall of famer.  I guess this just meant that he plays way above his size or that the rest of our dline is abnormally large.

I had a similar reaction.  He's not very big.  But some of that impression is that several of the shots of Miller had him standing next to Oliver and Rousseau.  Rousseau is SO long; if he can learn how to attack from Miller, he'll be a terror.   I'm not expecting that - if he evolves into a great player, he'll be great because of who he is more than because of what Miller might teach him.  But maybe I'm wrong.

More important to me is how lean these guys are.  McDermott wants athletes who are difficult to keep up with because of their mobility, rather than athletes who are difficult to move because of their size. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, T master said:

It's great to see Miller teaching the younger guys I think this D will be more number 1 then last years D & the offense will take another step which well i'll just have to wait & see the out come but i'm hyped to see just what this season will bring !! 

I got this feeling about the additions of Settle and Jones on the DL.  Sneaky-type upgrades at their positions that I think can really, with Von Miller of course, push the rest of this line across that domination point. 

• Like (+1) 1

Forgot about Joe Giles-Harris (LB #42). He had a really good pre-season last year. All over the field and camp making plays.

Giles-Harris and Nick McCoud (CB) stood out to me the most in camp last year. Will be keeping an eye on both.

Good to see Rousseau and Von Miller talking technique already. Basham looks more fit too. For his limited snaps last year, Basham was very efficient. If his conditioning is better he should see many more snaps with Addison and Hughes gone.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, MJS said:

That could be specifically a pass rushing set. Those four would be a terror together.

I doubt that is the normal starting four.

That's my thought too. From what I remember about Jordan, he was easily pushed off the spot when playing 1T. Can't see us staying with him in Stars old role. I think Settle or Jones is a better fit in run situations. 

2 hours ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

Just goes to show how HUGE Groot is!!  If and this is a BIG IF he can put it all together he is going to be a STUD!

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

I was looking thinking GRoot looks like Von's daddy. If Von can help teach up this kid, he is going to be dangerous for years to come. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

Miller is not a big guy compared to other DE's in this league.

Neither is Aaron Donald, there are quite a few players that are bigger than him. It's all about the skill set and the athletic traits, that separate these guys from other players.

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Long Suffering Fan said:

I remember thinking, at the time Miller came out of college and was a draft target of the Bills, that he was too small, so I was hoping the Bills would end up with Marcel Dareus from Alabama who had a more "NFL-caliber" physique.  That shows you how good my personnel evaluation skills are...I also liked the "most NFL-ready" QB Josh Rosen.

In the years since then, I had forgotten how small Miller was as his HOF career has progressed.  Having seen that video yesterday I again remembered that he's not a very big dude.  I think I'm OK with that now.

• Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Couple quick little notes from this clip:

- Really cool to see Von showing Rousseau pointers already.

- It seems that Carlos Basham Jr. has switched to Jerry Hughes old number of #55.

They run some fronts with 2 DT's lined up as 3T's and no 1T.    I don't see Phillips playing any 1T unless there are injuries.   He was projected as a potentially elite NT with little pass rush ability coming out of Oklahoma but they found out that he plays too tall to tie up blockers and is best suited to shooting gaps.........the exact opposite of his projection.........which may well be what happens with the much hyped Georgia rookie DT Jordan Davis in the NFL as well, IMO.   If you can't get low you can't be a good 1T or NT at the NFL level.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

They run some fronts with 2 DT's lined up as 3T's and no 1T.    I don't see Phillips playing any 1T unless there are injuries.   He was projected as a potentially elite NT with little pass rush ability coming out of Oklahoma but they found out that he plays too tall to tie up blockers and is best suited to shooting gaps.........the exact opposite of his projection.........which may well be what happens with the much hyped Georgia rookie DT Jordan Davis in the NFL as well, IMO.   If you can't get low you can't be a good 1T or NT at the NFL level.

Leverage is everything on the Lines.  But our DT rotation of Phillips, Oliver, Settle and Jones (with say Ankou in reserve if one gets injured) should be as solid as any we have had in a long while 1-4.  And in the upper echelon in the entire league this year.

Just watching the guys back on the field is exciting.  Allen, Diggs, Miller, Rousseau, Milano, etc.  We have a hell of a roster top to bottom.  It is going to be an exciting year.  Can not wait!!  Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.